Cycle rack legal

ben209

Apr 2, 2010
Hi all.

Whilst I appreciate that this may have been covered before, does anyone have any definative regulations for the attachment of a cycle carrier to the back of the car. I have tried the usual places on the internet, but there are no final answers.

I am in the uk.

Apologies for the spelling.

Thanks in advance

AFAIK bike carriers don't need certificates or anything, but:
1) Lights and number plate of carrying vehicle must remain visible.
2) While not being aware of any quantifiable performance requirement, the carrier still has to be "good enough".

I'd imagine this would cause bike carriers to sort under the general rules for carrying cargo on a vehicle, in terms of everything having to be properly secured ASO.
There's no set procedure for how to secure load to a roof rack either, but you can certainly be fined if you haven't done it good enough.

dabac said:
AFAIK bike carriers don't need certificates or anything, but:
1) Lights and number plate of carrying vehicle must remain visible.
2) While not being aware of any quantifiable performance requirement, the carrier still has to be "good enough".

I'd imagine this would cause bike carriers to sort under the general rules for carrying cargo on a vehicle, in terms of everything having to be properly secured ASO.
There's no set procedure for how to secure load to a roof rack either, but you can certainly be fined if you haven't done it good enough.

Thanks for the reply, I spoke to the local traffic police and they didn't have a clue. :eek:

Ok, spoke to a nice lady in the traffic department of our local police today. She told me the following:

If ANY lights are obscured, then you will need a light board.
The light board has to be wired correctly with the correct sockets.
You will need a number plate even if the number plate is not obscured.
You do not need reflectors or a fog light, although it is recommended.
The bike rack has to securely attached to the car.
The bikes have to be securely attached to the rack.
The bike wheels must not spin when driving along.
Any accesories should be removed from the bike (water bottles, panniers etc etc).

Sorry if this is common sense to a lot of people, but I thought I would post it.