Cycle Safety Quizz

Bertie Wiggins

Guest
I'm thinking of compiling a 'Cycle Safety Quiz' for my National
Standards Cycle Trainees.

Its main purpose is to be educational, not radical or controversial.

The question should lead to the correct answer, so a multiple choice
style seems appropriate.

Here are a few questions and answers I have in mind. Can anyone
improve the wording or add to them? Perhaps, when complete, someone
with more advanced IT skills than me could turn this into an
interactive online quiz.

================

Link the two halves of the sentences:

Performing a maintenance check before you ride - can reduce the
severity of a head injury.

Professional cycle training - can make you a safer cyclist.

Wearing a helmet - can make you more visible to other road users.

Wearing a light coloured or reflective clothing - can reduce the
risk of mechanical failure.

===============

Tick the correct answer:

Mandatory cycle lanes are marked by a solid white line in the main
carrigway. Optional cycle lanes are marked by a dashed white line in
the main carrigway.

Mandatory means:

a) Cyclists must use them and motorists must stay out.
b) Cyclists may use them and motorists must stay out.
c) Cyclists must use them and motorists may use them.
d) Cyclists may use them and motorists may use them.

Optional means:

a) Cyclists must use them and motorists must stay out.
b) Cyclists may use them and motorists must stay out.
c) Cyclists must use them and motorists may use them.
d) Cyclists may use them and motorists may use them.

When passing a parked vehicle you should:

a) Stay as close to it as possible so other road users can pass you.
b) Keep a door's width away from it in case the door is opened.
c) Pass the car by going onto the pavement.
d) Check that no one is about to open the door before passing it.

The primary cycling position is in the centre of the left carriageway.
The secondary cycling position is at least a metre from the left side
of the left carriageway.

You should use the primary cycling position:

a) All the time.
b) When you don't think that it would be safe for vehicles to pass
you in the same carriageway.
c) Only if you think that it would be safe for vehicles to pass you
in the same carriageway.
d) Never

You should use the secondary cycling position:

a) All the time.
b) When you don't think that it would be safe for vehicles to pass
you in the same carriageway.
c) Only if you think that it would be safe for vehicles to pass you
in the same carriageway.
d) Never

Shared use footpaths are used by pedestrians and cyclists. There are
two main types. Paths which have signs but no clear markings and
paths which have signs and clear path markings.

Who has right of way on shared use footpaths?

a) Cyclists always have right of way.
b) Pedestrians always have right of way.
c) Pedestrians have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.
d) Cyclists have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.

When passsing a side road on a shared use cycle path or cycle lane
where are the main hazards?

a) Ahead only.
b) Ahead and left.
c) Ahead, left and right.
d) Ahead, left, right and behind right.

When passing a side road in the primary cycling position on the left
carriageway where are the main hazards?

a) Ahead only.
b) Ahead and left.
c) Ahead, left and right.
d) Ahead, left, right and behind right.

===============

Number, in order of hazard to cyclists in London, the following:

a) Vehicle drivers running into the front of a cyclist riding in the
primary cycling position.
b) Vehicle drivers turning left at road junctions or side roads and
hitting cyclists in the secondary cycling position.
c) Parked vehicle doors being opened by a driver or passenger into
the path of a cyclist passing too close to the side of vehicle.
d) Vehicle drivers running into the back of a cyclist riding in the
primary cycling position.

Number, in order of safety, the following.

a) Wearing a correctly fitting cycle helmet.
b) Cycling in a position where you can see other road users clearly
and other road users can see you clearly.
c) Wearing light coloured or reflective clothing.
d) Performing a daily maintenance check of your bicycle.

in message <[email protected]>, Bertie Wiggins
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Shared use footpaths are used by pedestrians and cyclists. There are
> two main types. Paths which have signs but no clear markings and
> paths which have signs and clear path markings.
>
> Who has right of way on shared use footpaths?
>
> a) Cyclists always have right of way.
> b) Pedestrians always have right of way.
> c) Pedestrians have right of way unless there are clear path markings
> when they only have right of way on their side of the path.
> d) Cyclists have right of way unless there are clear path markings
> when they only have right of way on their side of the path.

I have to confess I don't know the answer to that one, and I suspect most
users of such paths don't either. If pressed to give an answer I would
guess that pedestrians always have right of way.

A related question is 'on a cycle path, should you pass to the left of
oncoming traffic or to the right?' My guess is that you should pass on
the left, as you do on a road, but it has to be said that this view does
not seem to be shared by many, and at a recent mountain bike event which
used the same fire road for both inbound and outbound cyclists there
were regular, prominent 'keep right' signs!

.::;===r==\
/ /___||___\____
//==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
//____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
\__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

"Bertie Wiggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking of compiling a 'Cycle Safety Quiz' for my National
> Standards Cycle Trainees.
>
> Its main purpose is to be educational, not radical or controversial.
>
> The question should lead to the correct answer, so a multiple choice
> style seems appropriate.
>
> Here are a few questions and answers I have in mind.

How about letting us know what you think the right answers are?

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Bertie Wiggins
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Shared use footpaths are used by pedestrians and cyclists. There are
> > two main types. Paths which have signs but no clear markings and
> > paths which have signs and clear path markings.
> >
> > Who has right of way on shared use footpaths?
> >
> > a) Cyclists always have right of way.
> > b) Pedestrians always have right of way.
> > c) Pedestrians have right of way unless there are clear path markings
> > when they only have right of way on their side of the path.
> > d) Cyclists have right of way unless there are clear path markings
> > when they only have right of way on their side of the path.

a and b are true. I suspect the poster meant something other
than 'right of way', however.

If there are markings, cyclists may only ride on the marked side.
Pedestrians can wander wherever they like.

No-one has the right to barge anyone out of the way in any
circumstance, however. I think that would be assault.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:59:20 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Shared use footpaths are used by pedestrians and cyclists. There are
>> two main types. Paths which have signs but no clear markings and
>> paths which have signs and clear path markings.
>>
>> Who has right of way on shared use footpaths?
>>
>> a) Cyclists always have right of way.
>> b) Pedestrians always have right of way.
>> c) Pedestrians have right of way unless there are clear path markings
>> when they only have right of way on their side of the path.
>> d) Cyclists have right of way unless there are clear path markings
>> when they only have right of way on their side of the path.

>I have to confess I don't know the answer to that one, and I suspect most
>users of such paths don't either. If pressed to give an answer I would
>guess that pedestrians always have right of way.

I explain to trainees that in the same way they should be able to
expect to ride on roads without drivers running into them, pedestrians
should expect to use the footway without cyclists running into them,
thefore pedestrians always have right of way on shared use paths and
that path markings have little meaning other than a suggestion to
cyclists and pedestrians.

On 09 Oct 2005 16:03:50 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Oct 2005, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, Bertie Wiggins
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>> > Shared use footpaths are used by pedestrians and cyclists. There are
>> > two main types. Paths which have signs but no clear markings and
>> > paths which have signs and clear path markings.
>> >
>> > Who has right of way on shared use footpaths?
>> >
>> > a) Cyclists always have right of way.
>> > b) Pedestrians always have right of way.
>> > c) Pedestrians have right of way unless there are clear path markings
>> > when they only have right of way on their side of the path.
>> > d) Cyclists have right of way unless there are clear path markings
>> > when they only have right of way on their side of the path.

>a and b are true. I suspect the poster meant something other
>than 'right of way', however.

How can I word it to make it technically correct?

=====

Who should give way on shared use footpaths?

a) Cyclists should always give way.
b) Pedestrians should always give way.
c) Pedestrians should only give way on the cyclists' side.
d) Cyclists should only give way on the pedestrians' side.

=====

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 16:01:07 GMT, "Rich"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>How about letting us know what you think the right answers are?

It could provoke a flamefest, which is not the intent.

====================

Link the two halves of the sentences:

Performing a maintenance check before you ride can reduce the
risk of mechanical failure. - can reduce the severity of a head
injury.

Professional cycle training can make you a safer cyclist. - can make
you a safer cyclist.

Wearing a helmet can reduce the severity of a head injury. - can make
you more visible to other road users.

Wearing a light coloured or reflective clothing can make you more
visible to other road users. - can reduce the risk of mechanical
failure.

===============

[...]

4 a) Vehicle drivers running into the front of a cyclist riding in
the primary cycling position.
2 b) Vehicle drivers turning left at road junctions or side roads and
hitting cyclists in the secondary cycling position.
1 c) Parked vehicle doors being opened by a driver or passenger into
the path of a cyclist passing too close to the side of vehicle.
3 d) Vehicle drivers running into the back of a cyclist riding in the
primary cycling position.

Number, in order of safety, the following.

4 a) Wearing a correctly fitting cycle helmet.
1 b) Cycling in a position where you can see other road users clearly
and other road users can see you clearly.
2 c) Wearing light coloured or reflective clothing.
3 d) Performing a daily maintenance check of your bicycle.

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005, Bertie Wiggins <> wrote:
> On 09 Oct 2005 16:03:50 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > a and b are true. I suspect the poster meant something other
> > than 'right of way', however.

> How can I word it to make it technically correct?
>
> =====
>
> Who should give way on shared use footpaths?
>
> a) Cyclists should always give way.

Yes, if a collision will otherwise occur.

> b) Pedestrians should always give way.

Yes, if a collision will otherwise occur.

Depends on the meaning of 'should' - neither type of user should cause
a collision if they can avoid it, and deliberately doing so is
probably assault.

> c) Pedestrians should only give way on the cyclists' side.
> d) Cyclists should only give way on the pedestrians' side.

Cyclists are not legally permitted on the pedestrians side.

How about asking the same thing in a slightly different way:

On segregated shared use tracks, which of the following is true:
a) Pedestrians must keep to the pedestrian side of the line
b) Cyclists must keep to the side intended for cyclists
c) Pedestrians should give way to cyclists wherever they are
d) Pedestrians must give way to cyclists on the cyclist side

(the answer being b, Highways Act 1835 sect 72)

On unsegregated tracks, which of the following is NOT advice in the
highway code
a) take care when passing pedestrians and allow plenty of room
b) be prepared to slow down if necessary when passing pedestrians
c) be prepared to stop if necessary to allow pedestrians past
d) always ring your bell or shout to pedestrians before you pass

(the answer being d, rule 48)

regards, Ian SMith

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 09 Oct 2005 17:49:14 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>How about asking the same thing in a slightly different way:
>
>On segregated shared use tracks, which of the following is true:
>a) Pedestrians must keep to the pedestrian side of the line
>b) Cyclists must keep to the side intended for cyclists
>c) Pedestrians should give way to cyclists wherever they are
>d) Pedestrians must give way to cyclists on the cyclist side
>
>(the answer being b, Highways Act 1835 sect 72)
>

>On unsegregated tracks, which of the following is NOT advice in the
>highway code
>a) take care when passing pedestrians and allow plenty of room
>b) be prepared to slow down if necessary when passing pedestrians
>c) be prepared to stop if necessary to allow pedestrians past
>d) always ring your bell or shout to pedestrians before you pass
>
>(the answer being d, rule 48)

I like them - especially as the answers relate to rules.

Bertie Wiggins wrote:
> I'm thinking of compiling a 'Cycle Safety Quiz' for my National
> Standards Cycle Trainees.

Some comments on points that I haven't already seen from others below.

I think it would help if you summarised the point you are trying to
make with each question. You'll get the argument raging anyway and you
can still pick out the messages you find helpful at the end of it all.

best wishes
james

> ================
>
> Link the two halves of the sentences:<SNIP>

Too subjective and open to disagreement? You could ask something like
"which of the following could help prevent an accident?
maintenance
training
helmet
which makes the point that helmets are a secondary device to mitigate
outcomes rather than reduce accident frequency

> ===============
>
> Tick the correct answer:
>
> Mandatory cycle lanes are marked by a solid white line in the main
> carrigway. Optional cycle lanes are marked by a dashed white line in
> the main carrigway.

I think Advisory rather than Optional is more accurate. Given the
level of understanding and compliance shown by most road users is it
worth labouring the point? Useful advice is surely "Don't assume that
traffic will comply with cycle lane markings"?

> When passing a parked vehicle you should:

yup. Is it worth saying anytrhing about not diving inwards /between/
parked vehicles

> The primary cycling position is in the centre of the left carriageway.

Should this be the middle of the /appropriate/ lane for your route.
This is often the left lane but not always
> The secondary cycling position is at least a metre from the left side
> of the left carriageway.

Again, a subtle distinction but lane position should be defined in
terms of vehicle tracks not the kerb

> When passsing a side road on a shared use cycle path or cycle lane
> where are the main hazards?
>
> a) Ahead only.
> b) Ahead and left.
> c) Ahead, left and right.
> d) Ahead, left, right and behind right.

I didn't feel clear on what you meant the junction geometry to be, let
alone any road markings or other indicators of RoW. I think a diagram
will be required

> When passing a side road in the primary cycling position on the left
> carriageway where are the main hazards?

ojk, I start to recognise the point you are making here but I think a
diagram will make the point clearer

> Number, in order of hazard to cyclists in London, the following:

woolly wording, do you mean greatest chance of an accident, greatest
chance of KSI, or something else? I believe C causes teh greatest
number of reported injuries and left turning HGVs cause the greatest
number of fatalities although I am not sure of there is a correlation
specifically with secondary position. It seems you are trying to make
too many points here: Primary position is not dangerous; don't filter
on teh left, esp HGVs, watch out for doors. I would seperate the
questions

> a) Vehicle drivers running into the front of a cyclist riding in the
> primary cycling position.
> b) Vehicle drivers turning left at road junctions or side roads and
> hitting cyclists in the secondary cycling position.
> c) Parked vehicle doors being opened by a driver or passenger into
> the path of a cyclist passing too close to the side of vehicle.
> d) Vehicle drivers running into the back of a cyclist riding in the
> primary cycling position.

> Number, in order of safety, the following.

again, wtf does "order of safety mean"?
> a) Wearing a correctly fitting cycle helmet.
> b) Cycling in a position where you can see other road users clearly
> and other road users can see you clearly.
> c) Wearing light coloured or reflective clothing.
> d) Performing a daily maintenance check of your bicycle.

>> The secondary cycling position is at least a metre from the left side
of the left carriageway.

That's not the definition in Cyclecraft.

You appear to share a common misconception.

"Carriageway" does not mean "lane".

Many people for some reason think that a "dual carriageway" refers to a
road which has two (ie dual) lanes in each direction. It does not - it
means that the carriageways for each direction are physically separated
(by grass or fence). A dual carriageway can have any number of lanes in
each direction.

You seem to have used "carriageway" throughout where you mean "lane".

Following on from Bertie Wiggins's message. . .
>I'm thinking of compiling a 'Cycle Safety Quiz' for my National
>Standards Cycle Trainees.

I am sceptical that your plan would give any practical benefit without a
very carefully thought out purpose and method of use. It appears you
have arrived at a solution without identifying the problem.

I'm also not convinced by the 'multiple choice' argument. You /could/
use mc for factual items like 'what does this road sign mean' and (as
I've done with my on-line quiz - see sig) ask 'what would you do here'
(or 'why is X important' or 'how many hazards can you spot in this
picture'[1]) _and then discuss_.

If you want an activity for kids then think through the outcomes.
If you want to measure how well you've got your points across or assess
a new trainees knowledge before they start then that's completely
different and has lots of ramifications (not least why doesn't
face-to-face work.)

My view is that cycling skills should be kept out of the schoolroom and
enjoyed on the road. The trainees should be being questioned all the
time anyway, you can tailor the questions to the situation and skill
level (of individuals!) and 'what we did last time' and 'how what we
learnt last time can be extended here' which a quiz can't do. Cyclists
should be trained to think for themselves so that when they encounter
something a bit different they can put it into context and work it out.
'Provide the right answer' thinking is soon forgotten and the 'right'
answer isn't /always/ right!

[1] You might use this /if/ you weren't able to find such hazards on
your trips - plenty of them of course - and felt that a once-off
observation exercise would give a lasting benefit.

PS
How's this for a simple pictorial mc question:
Q: Which is the safer cyclist?
(1) Helmeted cyclist by the kerb in a cycle lane, wrong gear, flip
flops, soft tyres, broken spokes, wearing dark clothing, looking
straight ahead, signalling left with one hand and other not covering
brakes
(2) Bare headed cyclist, outside the cycle lane, right gear, sensible
shoes, both hands covering brakes, looking behind to the left.
Pick the bones out of that.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded
[email protected]

On 10 Oct 2005 02:45:55 -0700, "iakobski" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>> The secondary cycling position is at least a metre from the left side

>of the left carriageway.
>
>That's not the definition in Cyclecraft.

I will look it up. Thanks.

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:57:48 +0100, Peter Fox
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Following on from Bertie Wiggins's message. . .
>>I'm thinking of compiling a 'Cycle Safety Quiz' for my National
>>Standards Cycle Trainees.

>I am sceptical that your plan would give any practical benefit without a
>very carefully thought out purpose and method of use. It appears you
>have arrived at a solution without identifying the problem.

It was an idea I had to give them the quiz to take home for either the
half term holiday or the Christmas holiday. It would be my hope that
parents would learn something too about what their children have
learned about cycle safety.

It's certainly not part of the course - just an add on.

On 10 Oct 2005 02:33:43 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bertie Wiggins wrote:
>> I'm thinking of compiling a 'Cycle Safety Quiz' for my National
>> Standards Cycle Trainees.
>>

>Some comments on points that I haven't already seen from others below.

Thanks for your comments. I will redraft the first draft shortly. I
will certainly use diagrams - but can't on usenet.

"Bertie Wiggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm thinking of compiling a 'Cycle Safety Quiz' for my National
> Standards Cycle Trainees.

[snip]

> Number, in order of hazard to cyclists in London, the following:
>
> a) Vehicle drivers running into the front of a cyclist riding in

the
> primary cycling position.
> b) Vehicle drivers turning left at road junctions or side roads

and
> hitting cyclists in the secondary cycling position.
> c) Parked vehicle doors being opened by a driver or passenger into
> the path of a cyclist passing too close to the side of vehicle.
> d) Vehicle drivers running into the back of a cyclist riding in

the
> primary cycling position.

Your hazard question should have the answer, "it all depend on what
you mean"

b) is the accident that accounts for the highest proportion of bike
fatalities in London, accounting for about a quarter of all the
fatalities. [A few years ago it was only a fifth. Odd how its
increasing.] On the other hand, dooring is the most common serious
injury. That's c).

I can't be bothered to look up the ratio of serious injuries per
death in London, or the fraction of those serious injuries that are
doorings.

I think that the cost benefit people, in looking at the costs and
benefits of killing or maiming cyclists, reckon that killing a
cyclist is worth about as many brownie points as seriously injuring
ten and a half cyclists, or slightly injuring about eighty. However
that, too, is from memory.

Jeremy Parker