Cycle Shoes / Numb Feet

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Dambox, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Dambox

    Dambox Guest

    Hi

    Advice please. I have been doing tris for 3-4 years with no previous cycling history. I have had
    about 3 pairs of cycling shoes, and yet to find a pair that I can honestly say fit comfortably.
    Current shoes are Carnac.

    If I cycle for > 10-15km, I get numb toes, and suffer as a result when I start the run. I am also
    get cramp occaisionally which may also be attributed to the shoes.

    My questions are:

    1. Is this expected ?
    2. Have others experienced this ?
    3. Any recommendations on shoes to try that may have a little more roon at the front of the shoe
    4. I use Look cleats - would SPD be better - is this a factor ?

    I am looking to buy again, so welcome feedback.

    Thanks.
    --------------
    David, England

    Tags:

  2. Not all Carnac shoes have roomy toe boxes. Be sure the model you're wearing is one of the ones
    that's room at the front.

    You don't talk about your bicycle training - if you aren't putting in enough time on the bike you
    may not have adapted yourself to cycling in which case no shoe will solve your problem.

    Have you experimented with fit issues on the bike? It's possible that moving your cleat further
    forward, which will move your foot further back, will solve the problem. You should also investigate
    your saddle to spindle position. In addition, numbness can be caused by problems with the spine, not
    just with the area that feels numb, so keep that in mind as well (although my guess is that this is
    not your problem based on what you've said so far).

    If the shoe has a firm sole, as most high quality road shoes do, the type of cleat shouldn't matter
    unless you have more or less float than you need.

    Almost last but not least, you might want to see a podiatrist or at least try something slightly
    more cushioned on the bottom of your shoe. I replaced the insoles of my cycling shoes with those
    from a pair of running shoes and have been much happier since - I have a small bony protrusion on
    the bottom of one foot, not enough to ever cause me discomfort *except* with hard-soled road cycling
    shoes, and a slightly thicker/cushier insole was just what I needed.

    Finally consider your strength and flexibility - if you're tight, e.g., your plantar fascias need
    stretching, or you're weak in the foot area, you could be clenching your toes or the sole of your
    foot which could lead to numbness.

    -S-

    dambox wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Advice please. I have been doing tris for 3-4 years with no previous cycling history. I have had
    > about 3 pairs of cycling shoes, and yet to find a pair that I can honestly say fit comfortably.
    > Current shoes are Carnac.
    >
    > If I cycle for > 10-15km, I get numb toes, and suffer as a result when I start the run. I am also
    > get cramp occaisionally which may also be attributed to the shoes.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1. Is this expected ?
    > 2. Have others experienced this ?
    > 3. Any recommendations on shoes to try that may have a little more roon at the front of the shoe
    > 5. I use Look cleats - would SPD be better - is this a factor ?
    >
    > I am looking to buy again, so welcome feedback.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --------------
    > David, England

  3. Dambox

    Dambox Guest

    Thanks very much - plenty to try here.

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:46:43 -0400, Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Not all Carnac shoes have roomy toe boxes. Be sure the model you're wearing is one of the ones
    >that's room at the front.
    >
    >You don't talk about your bicycle training - if you aren't putting in enough time on the bike you
    >may not have adapted yourself to cycling in which case no shoe will solve your problem.
    >
    >Have you experimented with fit issues on the bike? It's possible that moving your cleat further
    >forward, which will move your foot further back, will solve the problem. You should also
    >investigate your saddle to spindle position. In addition, numbness can be caused by problems with
    >the spine, not just with the area that feels numb, so keep that in mind as well (although my guess
    >is that this is not your problem based on what you've said so far).
    >
    >If the shoe has a firm sole, as most high quality road shoes do, the type of cleat shouldn't matter
    >unless you have more or less float than you need.
    >
    >Almost last but not least, you might want to see a podiatrist or at least try something slightly
    >more cushioned on the bottom of your shoe. I replaced the insoles of my cycling shoes with those
    >from a pair of running shoes and have been much happier since - I have a small bony protrusion on
    >the bottom of one foot, not enough to ever cause me discomfort *except* with hard-soled road
    >cycling shoes, and a slightly thicker/cushier insole was just what I needed.
    >
    >Finally consider your strength and flexibility - if you're tight, e.g., your plantar fascias need
    >stretching, or you're weak in the foot area, you could be clenching your toes or the sole of your
    >foot which could lead to numbness.
    >
    >-S-
    >
    >dambox wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Advice please. I have been doing tris for 3-4 years with no previous cycling history. I have had
    >> about 3 pairs of cycling shoes, and yet to find a pair that I can honestly say fit comfortably.
    >> Current shoes are Carnac.
    >>
    >> If I cycle for > 10-15km, I get numb toes, and suffer as a result when I start the run. I am also
    >> get cramp occaisionally which may also be attributed to the shoes.
    >>
    >> My questions are:
    >>
    >> 1. Is this expected ?
    >> 2. Have others experienced this ?
    >> 3. Any recommendations on shoes to try that may have a little more roon at the front of the shoe
    >> 5. I use Look cleats - would SPD be better - is this a factor ?
    >>
    >> I am looking to buy again, so welcome feedback.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> --------------
    >> David, England

    --------------
    David, England

  4. Glad to help out. Just reread my posting and noticed I said one thing backwards; allow me to
    correct, please.

    For most people, if cleat has been properly fit, e.g., by a bike shop, the ball of the foot will
    line up with the pedal spindle. This is the texbook correct position. It has, however, been my
    experience and that of quite a few other cyclists that moving your foot forward on the pedal, which
    means moving the cleat back, is often more comfortable. This means you're moving yourself a little
    towards that position you might have had as a child, when you pedaled with the center of your foot,
    under the arch, over the center of the pedal. You do give up a bit of power this way but it does fix
    a lot of foot/knee discomfort problems. I usually ride these days with my cleat as far back as it
    will go which, for the proportions of my foot, finds the ball of my foot just a little in front of
    the pedal spindle. I use Speeplay X-series pedals and Carnac road shoes that are quite a few years
    old at this point, probably 7 years, of the wide toe box variety.

    -S-