Cycle shop question

jimmiejams

Jun 27, 2005
Hi all,

I recently had a pair of compact cranks fitted by my LBS, however now my rear deraillieur doesn't shift well anymore (lowest couple and highest couple don't shift, or skip, or something like that :) So I called them up and they said it'd cost me $10 to fix, which kinda upset me, cause I figured if I paid for them to put a new set of cranks on, that they would've ensured it at least shifted well before giving it back to me -- barring mechanical problems not of their making, of course.

What does everyone think? Am I out of my tree expecting this? I know it's only a little thing, and I can fix it myself (never tried, just about to), but it's left me feeling a little burnt.

Thanks for listening to my little rant,
;) james.

You may have to take a couple of links out of the chain, or fit a larger (12-27) casette. Having said that, they should have set it up right the first time, obviously the shop owner is not a Rotarian.

I had a friend just buy a new bike. She opted for a different cassette and tyres, the RD did not shift properly, up or down and the tyres were fitted for the wrong rotation and the valve stems were not straight through the rims. When its that bad, you fix it yourself!

jimmiejams said:
Hi all,

I recently had a pair of compact cranks fitted by my LBS, however now my rear deraillieur doesn't shift well anymore (lowest couple and highest couple don't shift, or skip, or something like that :) So I called them up and they said it'd cost me $10 to fix, which kinda upset me, cause I figured if I paid for them to put a new set of cranks on, that they would've ensured it at least shifted well before giving it back to me -- barring mechanical problems not of their making, of course.
;) james.
Good move on the compact cranks James, if the cranks where provided by you for them to just install then the LBS failure to adjust the front and rear derail, chain length and centre alignment for rings may just be a bit of a passive agressive vent on their part and sad if they want your future business. At best a communication failure. Your time for two extra trips to the LBS and $10 is a small price to pay for a life lesson to check all work at the shop prior to leaving. My lesson at the LBS was while getting a spoke replaced and wheel trued I failed to notice the new spoke had not been interlaced :mad: Some good tool sets for under $100 allow most jobs to be done at home and online purchases cut out the LBS.

jimmiejams said:
What does everyone think? Am I out of my tree expecting this? I know it's only a little thing, and I can fix it myself (never tried, just about to), but it's left me feeling a little burnt.

Thanks for listening to my little rant,
;) james.
Time for a new LBS. That's dissapointing!

I'd pay the $10, never go back, and bad-mouth them to everyone. Some shops say they need these 'extras' to survive, but 'crikey'.

some labour costs at bike shops are a con, and I reckon they're taking advantage of people's ignorance. What really gets me are these "service" charges. I just found one on Google without too much trouble: http://www.lygoncycles.com.au/services.html Check out the top one: $40 to check the gears, check this, check that, etc. So, if the bike is in reasonably good working order, virtually NO work is required, but they claim it's 30 to 45mins work!!!

gclark8 said:
I had a friend just buy a new bike. She opted for a different cassette and tyres, the RD did not shift properly, up or down and the tyres were fitted for the wrong rotation and the valve stems were not straight through the rims. When its that bad, you fix it yourself!
I called my friend, she brought the bike over. I removed the wheels, both required adjusting the bearings, overtightened. The back wheel rim tape was punctured with the tops of sharp spoke nipples. Set the brake pads so they ran where they should and balanced the calipers. Refitted the tyres. I fixed the RD on a previous visit. She brought me a curry... :) I cooked some rice.

gclark8 said:
I called my friend, she brought the bike over. I removed the wheels, both required adjusting the bearings, overtightened. The back wheel rim tape was punctured with the tops of sharp spoke nipples. Set the brake pads so they ran where they should and balanced the calipers. Refitted the tyres. I fixed the RD on a previous visit. She brought me a curry... :) I cooked some rice.
...and ...