Cycle Shorts / Bibs

slyjackson

Jun 18, 2007
I have in the past purchased the cheap $25-$35 cycle shorts that I find on ebay or anywhere else that I can find them in this price range. I have noticed though that these shorts don't last long. The theads in seams come apart and each time I wash them the dye comes out. I have one pair that is no longer black and is now gray from hand washing.

I figured I would buy a pair of the higher priced Cycle shorts now to see if they actually feel better and last longer than the cheaper ones. All have a chamois but the higher priced shorts claim their chamois provides a new level of comfort.
They all look and feel the same to me. So what gives?

Is there actually a diffrence between $35 cycle shorts and $95 cycle shorts or is it just a name brand thing? :cool:

I've found that expensive knicks last longer, but more importantly, they're more comfortable. Some cheap lycra can feel almost like canvas jeans compared to good lycra, which sometimes feel like a second skin.

Without going overboard on price, I like Nalini bibs. Around here, Nalinis tend to be about 40 bucks cheaper than Vermarcs and Santinis, and they're nowhere near as expensive as the Assos or 2XU stuff

I went with bibs from the get go. The bibs are more comfortable and the middle priced ones can be pretty good. I hav eSantini and they are good and I have Descente as well and they are okay. I always try to but the best I can afford. In the end the utility of having a quality riding gear can pay for itself in comfort and wear over time. Just my .02 cents.

RedRider2009 said:
Why choose bibs over normal shorts? Just wondering I do not have either yet.
they're just a bit more comfortable without the elastic in your waist, and, these days, the better quality brands mostly come as a bib

Meek One said:
Bibs are just so much nicer. Get bibs. :D
Bibs.... no constricting band at the waist. Feels as if you are wearing nothing and soooo comfortable.

Cycling shorts are an investment.

531Aussie said:
I've found that expensive knicks last longer, but more importantly, they're more comfortable. Some cheap lycra can feel almost like canvas jeans compared to good lycra, which sometimes feel like a second skin.
Tis so true. I'd rather buy a more expensive one that is more/really comfortable rather than buying a bargain and wears out easily.
It's a good investment :)