Cycle snobbery

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by FranklynMint, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. dazzle96

    dazzle96 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2004
    I don't think you can say it's roadies who don't acknowledge you.
    I find that when I'm out on my mtb, some cyclists wave/ nod/ speak, others don't.
    I always try to do so myself, but as someone posted above, if you're really going for it, or on a hard climb, it can be difficult.
    I find that the worst offenders are the riders wearing jeans & T shirt, with saddle set far too low, and cadence of about 30 (so they're hardly going flat out)

  2. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Seriously, I ride near 100% if I'm commuting and it's an
    : effort to speak.

    I used to do this. Now I just content myself with the
    knowledge that the guy that has just gone streaming
    past me is actually slower than me and I could catch
    them if I want :)

    I find I go much faster now I don't batter myself commuting
    but go really hard when I go hard.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a
    philosophy out of a personality defect"

  4. A communique from Just zis Guy, you know? stated:

    > And I thought we were brothers-in-arms...

    Gagh!

    (dies)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Richard Corfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 2004-06-07, Simon Mason
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > I have to descend from Mount Olympus now and again and
    > > mix with the
    common
    > > people and don't want to look a total prat (meat and two
    > > veg wise)
    walking
    > > around WH Smiths ;-)
    >
    > But surely thats what the padding in the shorts is for ;-)

    Some of us need a bit of extra padding in that area ;-)

    --
    Simon M.

  7. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:08:07 +0100 someone who may be MSA
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >> Simply tell yourself that they are idiots and continue to
    >> be yourself.
    >
    >Just out of interest, why idiots?

    If one wants to feel superior to the person who does
    not wave back then it is best to think of them in
    derogatory terms.

    As I implied later on in my posting it doesn't bother me
    either way. Some people commit random acts of kindness,
    others do not.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
    F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:04:52 GMT, FranklynMint
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >All mountain-bikers will give a cheery wave and hello, but
    >I have noticed that people on road bikes will often totally
    >ignore you as you pass in opposite directions in the middle
    >of the countryside miles from anywhere.

    Hi Franklyn

    When on my road bike I have my "Hi's" returned by others on
    similar bikes. When I'm on my tatty MTB no-one replies.

    Unless I'm in "eeek, traffic" mode, I always say "hello",
    grin or gesture in some way towards other cyclists. Of
    course, I have more time to both notice and wave to other
    bike riders when on quiet roads than I do when circling busy
    roundabouts, for example.

    James

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

  10. FranklynMint

    FranklynMint New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2004
    Hi there: I only ever cycle in rural northumberland these days (though I cycled in London for years), and I was just interested in whether or not there was some unwritten code I wasn't aware of. I guess its a case of some people want to say hello, others don't. Thanks to all for your replies, and for making me chuckle along the way!
    Cheers
    FM (no padding required)

    >>Hi Franklyn

    When on my road bike I have my "Hi's" returned by others on
    similar bikes. When I'm on my tatty MTB no-one replies.

    Unless I'm in "eeek, traffic" mode, I always say "hello",
    grin or gesture in some way towards other cyclists. Of
    course, I have more time to both notice and wave to other
    bike riders when on quiet roads than I do when circling busy
    roundabouts, for example.

    James [/B][/QUOTE]

  11. On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:32:33 GMT, FranklynMint
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi there: I only ever cycle in rural northumberland these
    > days (though I cycled in London for years), and I was just
    > interested in whether or not there was some unwritten code
    > I wasn't aware of. I guess its a case of some people want
    > to say hello, others don't. Thanks to all for your
    > replies, and for making me chuckle along the way! Cheers
    > FM (no padding required)

    I've spent the last couple of days cycling between Durham
    and the dales and I've met a mixture of friendly waves and
    nods and complete ignorance. The funniest, on Sunday, was a
    road over the top of the moors, real middle-of-nowhere
    stuff. I had stopped to check my map and GPS as I was trying
    to locate the edge of a 1km grid square---you'd think the OS
    would paint them on the landscape! My bike was clearly in
    view, propped against a snow pole, and I was stood in the
    middle of the narrow road. A cyclist was climbing the hill.
    It is a fair drag and I appreciate the head down effort
    required, but he just went straight past me. His eyes never
    left the road in front of his wheel. I had started to say
    something before I realised that he really didn't know I was
    there despite the fact that we were the only two human
    beings for miles around.

    Colin

  12. On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:11:13 +0100, David Martin
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 7/6/04 2:04 pm, in article
    >[email protected], "FranklynMint"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> All mountain-bikers will give a cheery wave and hello,
    >> but I have noticed that people on road bikes will often
    >> totally ignore you as you pass in opposite directions in
    >> the middle of the countryside miles from anywhere. I
    >> don't understand it.
    >
    >The problem is that all those road bikers who COULD explain
    >why they ignore you will just, well, ignore you so you
    >won't get a helpful response.
    >
    >It's an us and them situation. When I am on the road
    >bike the roadies say hello and the MTB'ers ignore me.
    >And vice versa.
    >
    >..d

    I don't wave to people wearing helmets. Motorist-running-
    dogs.

  13. Martinm

    Martinm Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
    >
    > > Floral dress on old clunker or shopper's quite effective
    > > too...
    >
    > In my case it might attract the wrong kind of attention,
    > thobut...

    Perhaps you have to shave your legs ;-)

    BTW it's the same in France, Les roadies faisent le wave,
    les VTT ne le faisent pas a une autre roadie

  14. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 10:50:01 GMT, Graeme
    <[email protected]> () wrote:

    >Whingin' Pom <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Or a recumbent. Everybody waves. :)
    >>

    >No, that's the sign of the cross as they try to scare away
    >the evil wheeled monster ;-)

    I look forward to the peasant mobs gathering on the front
    lawn, attempting to persuade me back to the light side and
    UCI-sanctioned redemption.

    I shall brook none of their nonsense, however and leap onto
    my trusty Rolls Canardly, B&M headlight blazing and utter
    my best maniacal laugh as they scatter in the face of my
    mighty chainring, hurtling downhill into the night at
    Ludicrous Speed, beard and CAMRA membership card flapping
    in the breeze...

    ...until the next climb where the pursuing mob catch
    up with me.

    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ

  15. David Martin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BCEA2801.17089%[email protected]>...
    > On 7/6/04 2:04 pm, in article
    > [email protected],
    > "FranklynMint" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > All mountain-bikers will give a cheery wave and hello,
    > > but I have noticed that people on road bikes will often
    > > totally ignore you as you pass in opposite directions
    > > in the middle of the countryside miles from anywhere. I
    > > don't understand it.
    >
    > The problem is that all those road bikers who COULD
    > explain why they ignore you will just, well, ignore you so
    > you won't get a helpful response.

    Not guilty. I always try to not and wave hello to riders
    passing in the other direction. I thought the attitude of
    the national squad riders mentioned in a recent u.r.c post
    was a bit off, especially considering the fact that not so
    long ago, I would often encounter Stuart Dangerfield
    training on the back roads around Wolverhampton; despite
    being a time triallst of considerable reputation, it clearly
    wasn't beneath him to say a quick 'hello' to cyclists
    passing by. Indeed, he did offer to help me out with a
    puncture once, and on another occasion Dad and I had a chat
    with him in the beer garden of the New Inns at Kiddemore
    Green (between Brewood and Bishops Wood). Needless to say,
    being a dedicate athlete he opted for a soft drink, whilst
    we were on pints of Burtonwood! Also, his supposed
    'training' bike had a top-notch TTing wheel in, which put us
    to shame....

    David E. Belcher

  16. David Martin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BCEA2801.17089%[email protected]>...
    > On 7/6/04 2:04 pm, in article
    > [email protected],
    > "FranklynMint" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > All mountain-bikers will give a cheery wave and hello,
    > > but I have noticed that people on road bikes will often
    > > totally ignore you as you pass in opposite directions
    > > in the middle of the countryside miles from anywhere. I
    > > don't understand it.
    >
    > The problem is that all those road bikers who COULD
    > explain why they ignore you will just, well, ignore you so
    > you won't get a helpful response.
    >
    > Not guilty. I always try to not and wave hello to riders
    > passing in the other direction

    Oops; for 'not' read 'nod'; didn't wish to convey a
    negative attitude!

    David E. Belcher

  17. Vince

    Vince Guest

    > "David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > someone who may be FranklynMint wrote:
    > >
    > > I would continue to get enormous enjoyment.
    >
    > Best is to be focused on your own improvement. The only
    > flawless victory you can achieve is over yourself, over
    > your own limitations.

    Nope. Best is to enjoy. If you ever do achieve flawless
    victory over yourself (whatever that means), does that make
    you a loser too?

    Vince.