"cycle Store"

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by PennyS, Jul 18, 2015.

1. PennyS

PennyS Member

I went to meet some friends at a bookstore and was biking back a different way from usual when I saw this "Cycle Gear" store. Great, I thought, I will go in and see what they have!

store.jpg

But if you look closer, it's a motorcycle store.

I mean semantically I guess "motor" and "bi" are both types of cycle. But have you every heard anyone call a motorcycle a "cycle"?!

Tags:

2. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

haha.
    I have a few "cycle" stores that are only for the motorcycle.
    I like those so for me the more, the better!

3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

The word "cycle" for motorcycle was used extensively during the 80's. I don't really know the reasons for this, perhaps it had some pop-culture connotation. However, I have to agree with you. If I was going past this store, I would also assume that it's some kind of bicycle store at a glance. I think this happens often, I've been confused by motorbike and bicycle stores in my area over the past couple of years. Owners of these stores should reconsider how they name and design the logos for their stores.

4. Khatib22

Khatib22 New Member

I don't blame you for falling for that. I would've done the same. I'm just happy you didn't walk in there and ask if they sold bike tires and have them bring you some motor cycle tires.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Over here, we call the motorcycle Motor only or Single as opposed to that one with the sidecar which is a tricycle (having 3 wheels). When you mention cycle, the first thing that comes to mind is a bicycle since the unicycle is not a common vehicle. I wonder why that store was named as such. Or maybe the owner's name is Cycle? Hahahaaa.

6. gavinfree

gavinfree Member

When I hear cycle by itself, I could go either way with thinking it's a motorcycle or a bicycle. I'm not surprised to see Cycle being used as it pertains to a motorcycle, although I do tend to think of a motorcycle as a bike. I use cycle interchangeably sometimes.