Cycle Super Computers,,,

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ragos, May 13, 2003.

  1. Ragos

    Ragos Guest

    OK,

    I love gadgets. I want to buy a super computer for cycling which must include all the usual
    functions as well as an altimeter, map sketcher and a GPS system.

    Also a heart monitor built in would be cool.

    The only one I have seen is called the "Naviion pro" - see Edi Bikes.

    Thanks!

    Gary.

    Tags:

  2. Ragos

    Ragos Guest

    Ooops I forgot to ask, any ideas?

    Gary.

    "RAGOS" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > OK,
    >
    > I love gadgets. I want to buy a super computer for cycling which must include all the usual
    > functions as well as an altimeter, map sketcher and
    > GPS system.
    >
    > Also a heart monitor built in would be cool.
    >
    > The only one I have seen is called the "Naviion pro" - see Edi Bikes.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Gary.

  3. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    Try looking at the Garmin site. My GPS came from them and has everything you asked for
    except the HRM.

    Gadget

    www.garmin.com

  4. andy_welch

    andy_welch New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    I've got virtually all that, but I have to use two seperate devices. Oh the shame of it.

    For what it's worth I have a Ciclosport HAC4 cycle computer that combines all the usual cycling functions with a heart rate monitor, altimeter and thermometer. Plus it can all be downloaded to a PC for hours of happy geekdom. Most of the time that's all I need [1] and it's no bigger than most other cycle computers. But if I want to use a GPS I can mount my Garmin Etrex to the bars, which can be useful for exploring new routes on the maze of small lanes around north-east Scotland.

    Cheers,

    Andy

    [1] OK need maybe putting it a bit strong!

  5. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    andy_welch wrote:
    > Ragos wrote:
    > > OK, I love gadgets. I want to buy a super computer for cycling which
    > must > include all the usual functions as well as an altimeter, map sketcher > and a GPS system.
    > > Also a heart monitor built in would be cool. The only one I have seen is called the "Naviion
    > > pro" - see Edi
    > Bikes. > Thanks!
    > > Gary.
    >

    > I've got virtually all that, but I have to use two seperate devices. Oh the shame of it.
    >
    > For what it's worth I have a Ciclosport HAC4 cycle computer that combines all the usual cycling
    > functions with a heart rate monitor, altimeter and thermometer.

    Just looked this up and found http://tinyurl.com/bnom their RDS unit which transmits to
    the CP41 HRM.

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

  7. Mike Fleming

    Mike Fleming Guest

    which one have you got. how do you attach it to the bike? "Gadget"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Try looking at the Garmin site. My GPS came from them and has everything
    you
    > asked for except the HRM.
    >
    > Gadget
    >
    > www.garmin.com

  8. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    I own a Garmin eTrex Legend and you can buy handlebar mounts for it. My one has seen some nasty bail
    outs and has survived to tell the tale. It came with North and South America in the as preset but
    with the right Mapsource CD, I soon had that fixed. I'm not sure about the ones sold in Europe. Mine
    was imported.

    Gadget

  9. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2003 04:40:56 +0100, Gadget <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I own a Garmin eTrex Legend and you can buy handlebar mounts for it. My one has seen some nasty
    > bail outs and has survived to tell the tale. It came with North and South America in the as preset
    > but with the right Mapsource CD, I soon had that fixed. I'm not sure about the ones sold in
    > Europe. Mine was imported.

    www.gps4less.co.uk has the legend with Europe basemap pre loaded.

    178.50GBP(inc) I don't know whether that is good or not.

    (I've never used gps4less but I'm thinking of getting a gps from them. If anyone has any experience,
    bad or good, then let me know)

    Regards,

    Tim.

  10. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Tim Woodall wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 May 2003 04:40:56 +0100, Gadget <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I own a Garmin eTrex Legend and you can buy handlebar mounts for it. My one has seen some nasty
    >> bail outs and has survived to tell the tale. It came with North and South America in the as
    >> preset but with the right Mapsource CD, I soon had that fixed. I'm not sure about the ones sold
    >> in Europe. Mine was imported.
    >>
    > www.gps4less.co.uk has the legend with Europe basemap pre loaded.
    >
    > 178.50GBP(inc) I don't know whether that is good or not.
    >
    > (I've never used gps4less but I'm thinking of getting a gps from them. If anyone has any
    > experience, bad or good, then let me know)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tim.

    Around £100 or less on eBay depending on model.

  11. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2003 09:31:41 GMT,
    Tenex <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Tim Woodall wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 May 2003 04:40:56 +0100, Gadget <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> I own a Garmin eTrex Legend and you can buy handlebar mounts for it. My one has seen some nasty
    >>> bail outs and has survived to tell the tale. It came with North and South America in the as
    >>> preset but with the right Mapsource CD, I soon had that fixed. I'm not sure about the ones sold
    >>> in Europe. Mine was imported.
    >>>
    >> www.gps4less.co.uk has the legend with Europe basemap pre loaded.
    >>
    >> 178.50GBP(inc) I don't know whether that is good or not.
    >>
    >> (I've never used gps4less but I'm thinking of getting a gps from them. If anyone has any
    >> experience, bad or good, then let me know)
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Tim.
    >
    > Around £100 or less on eBay depending on model.

    I've never bought on ebay but GPS don't look like a bargain to me.

    There is an etrex summit on with shipping 7.50 and a "reserve is about 170". The same gps from
    gps4less is 168.50 inclusive of shipping and VAT.

    The same seller also has a geko101. Same shipping, reserve of about 90GBP gps4less has it for 94.50.

    There is an etrex currently at 72GBP+10GBP shipping. Same unit is 119.90 on gps4less and a geko101
    for 70GBP+6.50GBP (reserve met)

    Regards,

    Tim.

  12. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I own a Garmin eTrex Legend and you can buy handlebar mounts for it.

    I believe the Legend relies on the GPS signals for altitude(?) The eTrex Vista and Summit have
    barometric altimeters which in theory will be much more accurate.

    --
    Dave...

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Tim Woodall <[email protected]> typed:

    > I've never bought on ebay but GPS don't look like a bargain to me.
    >
    > There is an etrex summit on with shipping 7.50 and a "reserve is about 170". The same gps from
    > gps4less is 168.50 inclusive of shipping and VAT.
    >
    > The same seller also has a geko101. Same shipping, reserve of about 90GBP gps4less has it
    > for 94.50.
    >
    > There is an etrex currently at 72GBP+10GBP shipping. Same unit is
    > 119.90 on gps4less and a geko101 for 70GBP+6.50GBP (reserve met)

    Pretty standard. There seems to be a group of people making a living out of picking stuff up cheap
    off the web and elsewhere and selling it on at higher prices. I clearly recognise some of the cycle
    stuff from special offers on on- line cycle shops and I saw a LIDL computer or two bidding at £12
    recently. As the man said you can fool some of the people all of the time and those are the ones
    they're after.

    Tony