cycle sydney

was fun morning.. very easy ride. managed to cruise in at 1hr 38mins.. loved the cross country bit
on my road bike.. saw at least 5 crashes.. also the placement of some of those cone markers sucked..
placing them on the left and right sides of the lane sometimes pushed the bunch tight but we all
survived. I also got shouted at by a cop for slowing down at an intersection ( was making sure no
traffic was coming from the left and right- just a natural thing to do!!)

"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> what did y'all think?

yeah, i was surprised at how easy it was, it was really conjested though, i left at 8:20 I think. As
for crashed, a buddy i was riding with was ahead of me then suddenly realised he was supposed to go
left instead of go straight ahead- very poorly marked. He turned in my path suddenyl, and i had to
brake so hard my bike stopped within a few cm of his front tire, but pivoted on the front wheel. the
bike was 90 degrees to horizontal when he grabbed my arm and pushed my back down, thank god :)
around a corner at a reasonable speed a kid crashed into me on my left but managed to stay
riding,riding next to him he was very apologetic and seemed tobe very shocked:

Kid: sorry
me: dont worry about it, are you ok? kid: sorry
mf: are you ok? kid: yeah
mg: cool

kid of few words :p

thats all the incidents i had :) oh also 2 guys on road bikes raced me on a straight stretch, I
OWNED them on my mountain bike with knobbies :D havent gotten over that yet :D

As for cops, meh, what are they gonna do.... i can imagine them on their radio "it was a guy!
on a bike!"

As for improvements to ther ide, i think they could have controlled traffic a lot better, and given
us the entire road, without those stupid markers . I heard cars hooting and police yelling at the
cars but didnt get an opportunity to use my air horn, except at a rest stop when my backpack hit the
trigger :p Also, seriously we paid 40 bucks, couldnt they just greenify the traffic lights? Making
roads wider is important, ive never used my brakes so much :( but it was fun, and encouraged me to
keep a sustainable pace.... i guess... maybe next year ill go earlier :) I really hated the line to
get the tshirts, i was thinking about just ging home without a tshirt to escape the line in the hot
sun of 1 o clock in the afternoon (i took ages in the ride coz it was so conjested.) they asked us
for our tshirt sizes on the form--- couldnt they have sent them in the mail?

Overall i REALLY enjoyed that ride, and I WILL do it again next year, as well as participatin gin
more rides with lots of other people. I hear bike north have a few rides. On Sun, 30 Nov 2003
10:52:31 GMT, "dyno" <[email protected]> wrote:

>was fun morning.. very easy ride. managed to cruise in at 1hr 38mins.. loved the cross country bit
>on my road bike.. saw at least 5 crashes.. also the placement of some of those cone markers
>sucked.. placing them on the left and right sides of the lane sometimes pushed the bunch tight but
>we all survived. I also got shouted at by a cop for slowing down at an intersection ( was making
>sure no traffic was coming from the left and right- just a natural thing to do!!)
>

>"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> what did y'all think?

yeah i left at 7:30 (soon as the horn went off) .. the first few sets of lights (100m away from
start) we already had to stop for the red signal.. i cant beleive they didnt let us go through..
trying to stop a few thousand people at the start for a red light was stupid.. i got my shirt also
but i had 1 person in front of me in the queue :p

i had my 30secounds of glory when i powered past around 30 people up a hill, not sure why i did that
maybe it wsa by mcdonalds for breakfast?!

> [...]
> in the mail?
>
> Overall i REALLY enjoyed that ride, and I WILL do it again next year, as well as participatin gin
> more rides with lots of other people. I hear bike north have a few rides. On Sun, 30 Nov 2003
> 10:52:31 GMT, "dyno" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >was fun morning.. very easy ride. managed to cruise in at 1hr 38mins..
loved
> >the cross country bit on my road bike.. saw at least 5 crashes.. also the placement of some of
> >those cone markers sucked.. placing them on the left and right sides of the lane sometimes pushed
> >the bunch tight but we all survived. I also got shouted at by a cop for slowing down at an
intersection
> >( was making sure no traffic was coming from the left and right- just a natural thing to do!!)
> >

> >"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:53:55 +1100, "Justin Turner"
<justin(nospam)@(nospam)logicalfusion.com.au> wrote:

>I left right from the start (about 7:35). It felt very uncomfortable in a very tight bunch until we
>looped around to the bridge onramp (there were already people sitting after a crash outside Harris
>Technologies). The first few sets of lights weren't much fun. If they could free this up at least
>for the first 10-20 minutes it would be a big improvement as a lot of the people (myself included)
>aren't used to riding in a bunch & many don't realise the potential implication of shifting line a
>few inches.
>
>It was my first time doing the ride & I was pleasantly surprised at the levels of organisation (had
>read some bad things from previous rides). There were a few areas that were a bit poor, but
>overall, there wasn't much dicing with cars. I took 2 hours exactly on a MTB with knobbies (quicker
>than I expected). There was no line up at the T-shirt tent when I got there (9:35).
>
>Going home I got a train just after 10 at Westmead - had the last compartment to myself. Changing
>trains at Central to get to North Sydney before the ride wasn't much fun. Every train was packed. I
>was lucky & squeezed on to the second one that came while I was waiting, but many were still on the
>platform. I think next time I'll stay on the East Hills train to Wynyard & ride up from there.
>
>The third left hander after the harbour bridge was the low point in my book

>obvious to me that most people weren't expecting a steep hill after taking the turn (I realised
>going down Harrington & down-shifted dramatically). There were people with clip-ins everywhere
>weaving left & right trying to drop down in gear while not falling over. I avoided 5 or 6 before
>running out of options & going for the feet on the ground (like everybody else). I don't know what
>they could do there - perhaps extend the loop to George St &

>The Cross Country at Rhodes seemed strange (wouldn't have liked to be on a road bike). I was
>thinking what a disaster it would've been in the wet.

Ok, your the second person to mention a 'cross country' . where was it? what was it? i dont remember
any cross country....