Cycle tour - Northern France - Meuse, Marne, Champagne, Lorraine, Ardennes - advice ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Hywel & Ros, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. Hywel & Ros

    Hywel & Ros Guest

    My wife and I plan to do a modest, leasurely cycle tour, (or day trips from a base) somewhere in
    North-East France. Criteria are niceness of area, (lack of) traffic, availability of places to stay
    not too far apart (tour option), lack of hills. and short drive to get there (ie Jura or Dordogne
    are too far)

    I've only really driven through these areas so only know the main road through, though did have the
    best meal I've ever had in a village called Joinville sur Marne.

    Any comments / suggestions ?

    Thanks

    Hywel

    Tags:

  2. Hywel & Ros

    Hywel & Ros Guest

    Also, if replying by email please use hywelswcc at yahoo co uk as this account is u/s due to spam.

    "Hywel & Ros" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My wife and I plan to do a modest, leasurely cycle tour, (or day trips
    from
    > a base) somewhere in North-East France. Criteria are niceness of area,
    (lack
    > of) traffic, availability of places to stay not too far apart (tour
    option),
    > lack of hills. and short drive to get there (ie Jura or Dordogne are too far)
    >
    > I've only really driven through these areas so only know the main road through, though did have
    > the best meal I've ever had in a village called Joinville sur Marne.
    >
    > Any comments / suggestions ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Hywel

  3. "Hywel & Ros" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My wife and I plan to do a modest, leasurely cycle tour, (or day trips
    from
    > a base) somewhere in North-East France. Criteria are niceness of area,
    (lack
    > of) traffic, availability of places to stay not too far apart (tour
    option),
    > lack of hills. and short drive to get there (ie Jura or Dordogne are too far)
    >

    > As long as you stay away from the Belgian border it should mostly be
    traffic free. Lorraine is good so is Champagne though be aware that there are some remote parts of
    Champagne which are agricultural and not great for accomomodation.

    Have you thought of Picardy using the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry - it is really good south of there down
    towards Rheims. You might find accomodation a bit easier there.