Cycle Tour of Corsica

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rod King, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Rod King

    Rod King Guest

    Hi

    Does anyone have any experiences of touring Corsica. I am thinking of next May. I think that there
    is an organised tour about this time by the Frend Cyclotouristes.

    Regards

    Rod King

    Tags:

  2. Been there 3 times. I've seen nearly all of it.

    It's BRILLIANT.

    Do it yourself.

    Be sure and see

    Porto and Piana Col de Vergio. I could go on.

  3. In message <[email protected]>, Rod King
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Hi
    >
    >Does anyone have any experiences of touring Corsica. I am thinking of next May. I think that there
    >is an organised tour about this time by the Frend Cyclotouristes.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Rod King

    Corsica is a wonderful destination. East coast is flat and rather boring, west coast is hilly with
    lots of bays and inlets, centre is very mountainous. Don't miss the Calanche (between Piana and
    Porto) or Bonifacio.

    I found the following tour recommended in a guidebook.

    1. Bastia-Corte (75km) Bastia - Casamozza - Ponte Leccia - Col di S. Quilico (559m) - Corte
    2. Corte - Aleria - Solenzara (80km)
    3. Solenzara - Porto Vecchio (45km) easy climbs
    4. Porto Vecchio - Bonifacio (30km) two small climbs
    5. Bonifacio - Sartene - Propriano (70km) roads getting worse, more potholes, bends and hills
    6. Propriano - Filitosa - Porticcio (70km) lonely, narrow coast road, pass at 500m
    7. Porticcio - Sagone (70km) Col de Bastiano (464m)
    8. Sagone - Porte (50km) Col de Lava (498m) very steep descent to Porto
    9. Porto - Galeria (50km) Col de Palmerella (408m)
    10. Galeria - Calvi - L'Ile Rousse (55km) small passes
    11. L'Ile Rousse - St. Florent (40km) Bocca di Vezzu (421m), very quiet
    12. St. Florent - Nonza - Centuri Port (60km) Cap Corse, an excellent finish, really a Corsica in
    miniature but constantly up and down
    13. Centuri Port - Miomo (60km) Col de Serra (365m)
    14. Miomo - Bastia (6km)

    Month/max Temp/min temp/sun hours/rain days

    May/21C/10C/10hours/6days June/25C/14C/11hours/2days
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Been there 3 times. I've seen nearly all of it. It's BRILLIANT. Do it yourself. Be sure and see
    > Porto and Piana Col de Vergio. I could go on.

    Well DO go on then. What at the north end caught your imagination. How did you travel there, where
    did you stay there and did you meet any bandits in the mountains? Mike

  5. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Funily enough I have not been to Corsica but I was thumbing through my French Road Atlas comparing
    the Tour Route with the Raid Pyrenean Route and I noticed the Corsica page. It looked pretty
    interesting with some very ziggy roads which usually means spectacular mountain scenary.