Cycle touring with a sled dog

Noise

Mar 29, 2004
Hi. I'm planning my very first tour for the end of May, from Chicago to North Georgia. I have been training with my two dogs, a husky and a pit bull, on a springer and have the idea of taking them with me. Has anyone ever done this? I have searched everywhere but have never come across anyone who's done it. I know people take them in trailers, but no way am I dragging two dogs to Georgia! They would never ride back there even if I tried to put them in a little trailer. They're dogs, if there's any pulling going on, I'LL be the one kicking back in a trailer.

If anyone has done this, even on short tours, I would like to hear about your experiences. Actually, if you have any tips for a single, poor college student on my first tour, I definetely appreciate that too! Has anyone done a route from Chicago to north Georgia before? I'll be camping with a small tent, cooking over a fire, and spending as *little* money as possible. Thanks for any advice you can offer. Glad to find a place where other people have similar ideas to mine. Everyone around here thinks I'm insane, that I'll never make it, and no one can understand the concept of doing something like this just to *do it*, to be outside all day challenging yourself and pushing your limits. Crazy Chicagoans...

noise
[email protected]

I think it's a wonderful idea (your a bloody nut) .. maybe you should get your local newpaper involved. My x did a cross country from Denver to S. Carolina one year (himself only, left mumma at home boo, hoo and no pooches either) around 18,000 mls. Athough he only told his folks when he arrived they had the press out to welcome him .. he was going to fly from there to England and the heading went something like this .. "Anything to save a buck or 2 .." You best get those doggies some running slippers or something?!?!? Go for it! Hope to see your pic somewhere!

While dogs, especially sled dogs, are very well equiped to handle long distances, please put the health of your animals first.

I breed alaskan malamutes, and use them for hauling gear sleds for winter mountaineering here in Montana. The dogs health always comes before any objective.

I would highly recommend that you take special consideration for their diet prior to this undertaking. You can find out some very good information from a book called "dog driver". It covers everything from judging your pups confirmation (provides a good look at their ability to handle the distances), to maintaining the physcology of trail weary dog.

Specifically, your dogs will need a much richer diet then they are used to too maintain the pads of their paws. I would also recommend that you have a vet do a thorough examination prior to departure, as well as arrange for trip check-ups.

It is by all means possible, and will be more enjoyable for everyone with a little extra planning.

- n -