cycle trails Australia, 12 epic rides in Australia

GJ Coop

Aug 18, 2010
I spent 15 months doing a cross country bike tour across Australia. Since I've been taking a break in Perth before my return bike ride I've been plugging away on a website with ride info for some great long distance bike trails. Where to go, food, water, camping etc. There's 12 up there so far, ie Tanami, Gibb River Road, Finke, Mereenie Loop, Karijini, Gregory National Park etc. I'm hoping to expand these over the next year. Great Central Road, Cape York etc.

The site is http://www.cycletrailsaustralia.com]cycletrailsaustralia.com.

Hope you enjoy reading and get inspired to get off those main roads.

I've added another trail to the mix on the site: the south coast of Western Australia, from Dunsborough to Esperance. I rate this as one of the most interesting/diverse routes to ride in Oz. http://www.cycletrailsaustralia.com/2_trails/south-coast-wa

Now all I need to do is add the slide shows for each trail, maybe 20 images for each. (Select, resize, crop. This might take a while, so don't hold your breath.)

summary – south coast, WA This is the great secret in long distance riding across Australia, kind of like Victoria’s Great Ocean Road on steroids. Zip around the coast, plenty to see, not much in the way of traffic. What’s not to like? Well, there is a bit, the first three that come immediately to mind: hills, wind and inclement weather. There’s lashings of all three. It’s a relentless roller coaster, true, but you get to whizz down the hills and it’s mostly less than 20 minutes of up before the down. There’s a fair chance of a gale behind you as you head east, that’s a plus, unless, of course, you are riding into it. The weather, basically there can be just far too much of it. But despite these factors the countryside you traverse more than adequately makes up for it: surf beaches, (Yallingup), wineries, (Margaret River), Cape Leeuwin lighthouse, rail trails, (Cowaramup, and Denmark/Nornalup), big tree forest, (Pemberton to Walpole), beaches, (numerous but Greens Pool, Two Peoples Bay, Point Ann etc are a start), national parks, (Leeuwin-Naturaliste, D’Entrecasteaux, Walpole-Nornalup, Stirling Ranges, Porongurup, Fitzgerald River.)"

Thanks for sharing! I hope to be able to make use of some of the information one day. I do have one suggestion: It would be nice if you could you include some kind of map that gives a overview of the routes? Maybe plot them on Google Map/Earth or something similar. It is a bit overwhelming for some one not that comfortable with the Australia. Regards

A trail location map?

What a great idea. Thanks for that suggestion H.

Oh, now I have to create it.

As they say in Australia: no worries.

Wow, somehow those 12 trails have expanded to 17 at last count.

Hope it inspires you to consider Australia for a long distance bike journey that isn't on Highway 1.