Cycle trainers

E

Eug K

hi,

does anyone know where in brisbane i can get a used cycle trainer? Was thinking of getting a
stationary bike for when it's more convenient to "ride" at home, but then that would bea waste of my
bike frame. :)

Any advantages/disadvantages to using a cycle trainer over a stationary bike?

thanks!

--

Originally posted by Eug K
hi,

does anyone know where in brisbane i can get a used cycle trainer? Was thinking of getting a
stationary bike for when it's more convenient to "ride" at home, but then that would bea waste of my
bike frame. :)

Any advantages/disadvantages to using a cycle trainer over a stationary bike?

thanks!

--

You get too hot

depending on the mount system it affects your frame

It wears out tyres very quickly

Your wife/partner/kids always pass you

Its Summer outside!!!

There's no coffee shop

Originally posted by flyingdutch
There's no coffee shop

:D What a p|sser!

I also used to find that my mag-turbo indoor trainer, the one that sits on the rear wheel, used to eat away my tyres very quickly. So I used it only about five times since I bought it - and that was about 12 years ago!! I used to put electrical tape around the rear tyre but that just became a pain in the rear to do all the time.

Does anyone know if rollers also cause tyres to wear out very quickly?

> does anyone know where in brisbane i can get a used
> cycle trainer? Was thinking of getting a stationary
> bike for when it's more convenient to "ride" at home,
> but then that would bea waste of my bike frame. :)
>
> Any advantages/disadvantages to using a cycle trainer over a stationary bike?
YMMV(mostly depends on how much your bike is worth and where you keep/want to use it) "for"
stationary bike saves wear on your good bike(tyres,chain, gears etc) takes up less room when you are
using it(more room when you arent) is always ready to go you dont have to worry about sweat on your
frame etc(if you think this wouild be a problem)

"against" stationary bike you may want/have to double up on some things like speedo/cadence, hrm,
pedals, seat and bars(if you want the same fit) you cant use one of those PS2 controller thingys(has
anyone got one of those yet??)

stu

jazmo wrote:
> I also used to find that my mag-turbo indoor trainer, the one that sits on the rear wheel, used to
> eat away my tyres very quickly. <snip>

On my Minoura mag trainer, the (rubber) friction rollers contact the rim, not the tyre, so there's
no wear on anything. Are some trainers not designed this way?

&roo

Originally posted by Andrew Swan
jazmo wrote:
> I also used to find that my mag-turbo indoor trainer, the one that sits on the rear wheel, used to
> eat away my tyres very quickly. <snip>

On my Minoura mag trainer, the (rubber) friction rollers contact the rim, not the tyre, so there's
no wear on anything. Are some trainers not designed this way?

&roo

That sounds like a good design. Mine is also a Minoura but it's 12 years old. The rear tyres makes contact with a roller that has a fly-wheel attached to it.

"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:DSB0c.283
> jazmo wrote:
> > I also used to find that my mag-turbo indoor trainer, the one that
sits
> > on the rear wheel, used to eat away my tyres very quickly. <snip>
>
> On my Minoura mag trainer, the (rubber) friction rollers contact the rim, not the tyre, so there's
> no wear on anything. Are some trainers
not
> designed this way?

The original trainers and current, cheaper ones are run the roller on the tyre and not the rim.
Guess it was the obvious starting point for a roller until people realised it ate through tyres :)

Unless you have someone else around, indoor training sucks. You will (in my experience) never push
yourself hard enough when training alone and there's no other riders or cars to chase... I guess
it's better than sitting on ya butt watching moofies all winter... but not much. I'm going to try
and get into Blackburn's ergo sessions (with coach and other people) rather than pretend I'll ever
train hard on my mag at home..

hippy

I use a trainer when the weather sucks or when pressed for workout time.

It isn't fun so I have to make sure I have a something cued on the dvd or vcr to entertain me.

You will sweat bucketloads because of the lack of airflow. A fan is necessary for the cooling effect
and a towel is necessary to mop up periodically. I get my old tennis sweat bands out as well to help
stop some of the drips.

The tyres do get worn more than they would on the road (roughly 2 -3 times as fast on my also old
tyre driven minoura).

A HRM will help to keep the effort constant. My speedo is front mounted so is useless on my trainer.

I haven't used a stationary bike appart from the ones at he gym. The types I have used are never as
comfy as my bike and I believe you have to spend a mint to get one that won't wear out and get all
creaky quickly. They do, however, usually have the gadgets for cadence etc. built in. I wouldn't
have room in my place for a stationary bike anyway while my trainer lives under my bed with the
dust bunnies.

Alex

"eug k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi,
>
> does anyone know where in brisbane i can get a used cycle trainer? Was thinking of getting a
> stationary bike for when it's more convenient to "ride" at home, but then that would bea waste of
> my bike frame. :)
>
> Any advantages/disadvantages to using a cycle trainer over a stationary bike?
>
>
> thanks!
>
> --