Cycle Training for Charity Ride

TB1972

Jul 19, 2011
Hi,

I'm just new to this cycling lark, have bought a road bike which i use four times a week to do a 10 mile cycle, which takes me about 35 minutes. I am due to take part in a 50 mile charity ride (not racing) in about 4/5 weeks and wondered is my 4 x 10 mile cycle each week enough for me to enjoy the charity ride or should I be getting out to do a bit more. I normally cycle one way to work and get a lift home so increasing the distance on that particular ride isn't an option but should i be doing a slightly longer cycle at the weekends maybe?

Anyway, any advice gladly accepted.

Tara /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

You probably want to try a more extend ride since fitness isn't the only key to longer rides. Saddle comfort, arms get tired etc. On the up side you can share pulling on a group ride and generally there are all levels of riders so you can usually find someone close to your skill level.

Thanks for that - would I need to be getting up to the full 50 miles or would 20/30 be ok? Not trying to avoid it, just don't want to kill myself! :) And woudl one spin a week of longer duration be enough - please say yes! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

You probably want to try a more extend ride since fitness isn't the only key to longer rides. Saddle comfort, arms get tired etc. On the up side you can share pulling on a group ride and generally there are all levels of riders so you can usually find someone close to your skill level.

The longer the rides you do before the event the better you will feel on the day of the event. (More or less.)

But if you are comfortable doing 10 miles now. Do 15, 20, 30, and 40 on successive weekends. You should find that an easy task. And the 40 mile ride should give you some experience in stopping for food and water.

Great, will give that a go! As regards to food, i presume we are we talking cereal bars type of thing? And how do you feel about hydration packs on your back as opposed to water bottles in cages on the bike?

As I said, I am a complete noob so feel free to laugh at my complete lack of knowledge! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

T

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

The longer the rides you do before the event the better you will feel on the day of the event. (More or less.)

But if you are comfortable doing 10 miles now. Do 15, 20, 30, and 40 on successive weekends. You should find that an easy task. And the 40 mile ride should give you some experience in stopping for food and water.

A reasonably health guy/gal shouldn't have too much problem with doing 50 miles but it'd make things a lot easier if you get some rides within the 20 to 40 mile range before hand.

Would one ride a week be enough? Go out and do 40 miles this weekend and let us know how you do. If you do fine then the answer is yes... one ride per week will be fine, otherwise the answer is you'd probably be better off riding a few times a week. If you don't ride that much anyway, any time on the bike during the week will help even if it's only 30 minutes riding at a fairly brisk pace. Combine it with a longer ride on the weekend.

A couple of big 20 to 24oz water bottles should be fine and if you already have bottle cages on the bike then they'll fit. I'm always wary of using hydration packs like the Camelbak with anything other than water as they can be a pain to clean. "Sports drinks" tend to be great breading grounds for bacteria and the like - they like the stuff as much as we do on the bike ;)

Cereal bars are pretty good to snack on while out on the bike. Bananas and even jam sandwiches will do it if that's what you like. The local bike shop should have some good energy drinks too. Don't go overboard though. Take a look at the label on the stuff you eat and try not to consume more than 300Kcals per hour when riding. You don't need more than that and any more may increase the risk of gas and discomfort. That last thing you want is sharted shorts.

Whatever you decide to munch on, try it before the ride - preferably on a ride closer to the 40 to 50 mile mark. Sometimes what you eat after a couple of hours on the bike doesnt taste as good as it did when you stood in the kitchen before the ride.

Originally Posted by TB1972 .

Great, will give that a go! As regards to food, i presume we are we talking cereal bars type of thing? And how do you feel about hydration packs on your back as opposed to water bottles in cages on the bike?

As I said, I am a complete noob so feel free to laugh at my complete lack of knowledge! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

T
I have been riding in 100-105 degree heat for a month now. 50 miles at a time. I drink more than 20oz of water every 30 minutes. Then I drink 32oz as soon as my ride is over. Then 12oz or so each hour for the next 10 hours. That is a lot of water. (And I use bottles on my bike.)

If you have a hydration pac, use it. If you don't have one don't buy one for the event. Just use water bottles. 2 water bottles should get you between the provided aid stations.

---

As for food. The event will most certainly provide food and water every 16 miles (2 stops along the route and one at the end). Stop. Eat something. Schmooz with the volunteers. Thank everyone. Then continue on. (If they don't have food you want, stop by a store and buy something. Candy bars. Those little individual pies. You must like something. Even the thought of eating will help you get to a store.)

Remember this is not a race. You should be having fun on the bike and off the bike.