Cycle2max Power Result

parawolf

Jan 16, 2006
Hi all,

Last weekend I did my first 'proper' climb with the intention to benchmark myself. I did the 1/20 at Mt Dandenong in Victoria and i've lodged my results on www.cycle2max.com

My c2max data

While it places me at position ~700 out of some 800 attempts. I'm wondering if my figures are good for a truly beginner.

I'm hoping that on my next attempt I can go under 20 minutes with a goal of sub 19 minutes before the end of this year.

What do people think of the power figure of ~230watts for ~20 minutes?

I'm 188cm, 81kg, and only been on a road bike for about 2 months now - with mostly long slow distance.

I think you should keep at it and you'll enjoy some rewarding progress! I started cycling just over a year ago and I've certainly seen progress, especially in the last 6-8 months.

--Steve

ZimboNC said:
I think you should keep at it and you'll enjoy some rewarding progress! I started cycling just over a year ago and I've certainly seen progress, especially in the last 6-8 months.

--Steve
Agreed, stick at it. Specifically, the 1:20 is a great climb to learn on; try your best to increase your speed on the false flat (and then hold on until the end). Keep working at it, and then you might want to move onto other climbs in the area such as the Devil's Elbow (nasty!) and the Wall.

And then there's Terry's Avenue :grin:

Cheers,

Rob

Oh definately not thinking about stopping, that was just a first attempt. I am wondering what sort of figure means, ~230watts for ~21 minutes.

I figure i've still got a way to go (in my own mind) before I start for any criterium racing - but not far off.

Don't worry too much about the estimated power outputs that Cycle2max comes up with. As you are fairly new to the sport you will surely witness a good increase in times and power if you continue with some good quality training.

I see too many athletes who say they are bad climbers, so they refuse to train in the hills. It's good to see you are keen to improve and start racing. Summer Criterium Racing is an excellent place to begin.

bikecoach said:
I see too many athletes who say they are bad climbers, so they refuse to train in the hills. It's good to see you are keen to improve and start racing. Summer Criterium Racing is an excellent place to begin.

I have no illusion of greatness, but I love the challenge after my first attempt. My history of cycling has been commuting for 11 months, and riding on weekends on my proper bike (Scott CR1 pro) for 2 months. I think i'll need to step up to a cycling coach in the near term for some real gains in performance and skill.

I've lost bulk of my excess weight, i've improved my fitness no end (21minutes at avg HR of 188bpm isn't bad!), and my general health has improved greatly too. So time to turn to something 'more' :)

RobM said:
try your best to increase your speed on the false flat (and then hold on until the end).
Rob
I've gotta disagree with that. The false flat is the perfect place just to coast a little and get your breath back. If you try to max out on the false flat you'll explode and loose time over the last 2k. My pacing/effort on a scale of 1-10 is 8 over the first 2k, then 9-10 to the false flat, 7-8 on false flat, 10+ after false flat. In all TT's you stand to loose most time on the last third, this is no different.

I've ridden the 1/20 soooo many times, and I still love it!

Thats great to hear.
The first step for you should be to get in contact with a cycling club and become a member. You obviously have to do this if you are to start racing, but it is also a great way to meet more cyclist and training partners, which can pass on hopefully some good knowledge, and will keep you motivated and hungry to ride.
In the future feel free to check out the BIKECOACH website to check out our services in relation to coaching.

parawolf said:
I have no illusion of greatness, but I love the challenge after my first attempt. My history of cycling has been commuting for 11 months, and riding on weekends on my proper bike (Scott CR1 pro) for 2 months. I think i'll need to step up to a cycling coach in the near term for some real gains in performance and skill.

I've lost bulk of my excess weight, i've improved my fitness no end (21minutes at avg HR of 188bpm isn't bad!), and my general health has improved greatly too. So time to turn to something 'more' :)

Jono L said:
I've gotta disagree with that. The false flat is the perfect place just to coast a little and get your breath back. If you try to max out on the false flat you'll explode and loose time over the last 2k. My pacing/effort on a scale of 1-10 is 8 over the first 2k, then 9-10 to the false flat, 7-8 on false flat, 10+ after false flat. In all TT's you stand to loose most time on the last third, this is no different.

Heh, I think i've seen your rating on cycle2max Jono. Gives me hope that your first attempts were around the 20 minute marker. However i've got a feeling I won't progress nearly as well as you have.

parawolf said:
However i've got a feeling I won't progress nearly as well as you have.
Hey, give it time. It'll happen. And don't forget to have fun!!:D (it's not said enough is it?)

Jono L said:
Hey, give it time. It'll happen. And don't forget to have fun!!:D (it's not said enough is it?)

Ain't that the truth. If it isn't fun, why bother! I had heaps of fun climbing the 1/20 last weekend. Nice smooth road, glorious weather, minimal traffic and those that were there gave plenty of room. Handful of other cyclists and beautiful surroundings.

Really an enjoyable part of the world. One of my co-workers lives in Olinda and doesn't ride a bike... I envy and pity him in one swoop. :cool:

Jono L said:

I know I have to defer to your judgement on this one - I know your record on the road!! :D

And to the OP - completely agree with you and Jono ... cycling is the best sport in the world (why did it take me so long to find it?), and you'll know as well as I that any time you can spend on the bike is a joy. Always enjoying it is the most important factor. :)

Cheers (and I might bump into you out there),

Rob