Cyclecraft

Johnb

Guest
Just received my brand new reprint of Cyclecraft.

Excellent to see that the new National Training Standard has
pride of place on the front cover as well as on the back.

With the failure of the helmet Bill I'm sure more emphasis
is going to be put on proper cycle training.

John B

JohnB wrote:

> With the failure of the helmet Bill I'm sure more emphasis
> is going to be put on proper cycle training.

That's mightily optimistic of you ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

JohnB wrote:

> With the failure of the helmet Bill I'm sure more emphasis
> is going to be put on proper cycle training.

Only if we make it so.

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> JohnB wrote:
>
> > With the failure of the helmet Bill I'm sure more
> > emphasis is going to be put on proper cycle training.
>
> Only if we make it so.

I think the timings right.

As you know I'll be trying :)

John B

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
> >
> > JohnB wrote:
> >
> > > With the failure of the helmet Bill I'm sure more
> > > emphasis is going to be put on proper cycle training.
> >
> > Only if we make it so.
>
> I think the timings right.
>
> As you know I'll be trying :)
>
> John B

Cyclecraft is a good place to start.

I remember the RoSPA cycle proficiency things of the 80s...

Dearie me...

Pete W

P.S. Mind you, at least there was such a thing!

Pete White wrote:

> I remember the RoSPA cycle proficiency things of the
> 80s...

So who here remembers News of the World Knights of the Road?

Tony

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:18:03 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>JohnB wrote:
>
>> With the failure of the helmet Bill I'm sure more
>> emphasis is going to be put on proper cycle training.
>
>Only if we make it so.

Speaking of cycle training for the masses - can anyone tell
me what caused the drop of the Cycle Proficiency Test from
everyday schooling?

Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk
links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk)
http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

Gawnsoft wrote:

> Speaking of cycle training for the masses - can anyone
> tell me what caused the drop of the Cycle Proficiency Test
> from everyday schooling?

Good question. I think it was Progress. Anybody still riding
a bike in Thatcher's Britain was clearly a failure...

At least the yuppies will all die young of heart disease ;-)

--
Guy
===

Geraint Jones wrote:

> Is Paddy Hopkirk still with us?

I thought he was (Deceased).

--
Guy
===

Dave Larrington wrote:

>> Is Paddy Hopkirk still with us?
> He is. I used to share a flat with his niece, trivia fans.

That's nothing. I used to work with Hannah Firmin, whose
sister Emily owned a particular saggy old cloth cat.

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

"Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gawnsoft wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:18:03 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you
> > know?" <[email protected]> wrote (more or
> > less):

> >> Only if we make it so.
> >
> > Speaking of cycle training for the masses - can anyone
> > tell me what caused the drop of the Cycle Proficiency
> > Test from everyday schooling?
>
> No idea, but they didn't have it when I went to school in
> the late 80s / 90s. The Secondary school I went to didn't
> even have bikesheds AFAIK.

"Gawnsoft" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:18:03 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you
> know?" <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):
>
> >JohnB wrote:
> >
> >> With the failure of the helmet Bill I'm sure more
> >> emphasis is going to be put on proper cycle training.
> >
> >Only if we make it so.
>
> Speaking of cycle training for the masses - can anyone
> tell me what caused the drop of the Cycle Proficiency Test
> from everyday schooling?

This was caused by its replacement with a new course called
Safer Cycling, offered by your friendly local council. It's
not compulsory. In the area where I've taught it the take-up
has been over 95% though.
--
Mark South Citizen of the World, Denizen of the Net <<Tiens!
Ce poulet a une grenade!

Doki wrote:
> when I went to school in the late 80s / 90s.

Funny thing, I always pictured you as a middle-aged man.
Dunno why.

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
reply address)

JohnB wrote:
> Just received my brand new reprint of Cyclecraft.

Me too. I had it on order from Amazon & TSo for months. I
spotted the 1988 edition on eBay, so I cancelled my TSO
order and bought the eBay one.

Unfortunately both editions turned up on the same day, plus
an apologetic email from TSO saying it was too late to
cancel my order :-(

I'm trying to flog the 1988 edition if anyone's interested:
http://tinyurl.com/yskh3