Cycleops Fluid 2

str8shooter

Jul 15, 2004
I just finished my first session on my Fluid 2. I hooked it up to Trek 7200 hybrid. After 50 minutes I must admit I worked up a pretty good sweat.

I have to do a little research on the proper way to use it. Tonight I tried to keep my cadence between 90-95 RPM. That put and kept my heart rate between 165 -172 RPM. Numerically it seemed a little high but I didn't feel spent during or after the session.

One question for fluid 2 users are they suppose to have a whiny sound. Maybe this is normal, I was under the impression they were suppose to be quieter.

Another question for all indoor trainer users. How long is your average session and how many day a week. I'm not training for any competition, just to keep my weight down over the winter and keep my legs in shape and ready for spring.

One other thing what do you do to keep motivated? I can see where boredom could set in fast. My original intentions were to train while watching hockey (Sabres) guess thats not going to happen this year.:(

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

1) Yes they do have a whiny sound. You should hear how a magnetic trainer sounds :eek:

2) I do at least 1 hr. or I listen to one of five Spinervals video (1hr 15 - 1hr 45 min) that I have which varies from TT, spinning, tempo, etc. I ride my trainer when I cannot ride outside specially now during winter (less daytime)

3) Motivation is your goal. As you mentioned, to keep fit and be ready for Spring. Believe me, you riding buddies will be surprised when you come out and ride in Spring and beat the hell out of them on your rides :D

You will sweat a lot on a trainer since there is no wind to dry/blow it out. I suggest having a towel next to you and drink lots of liquid. Put a cover on your bike too to avoid sweat dripping all over it.

I suggest positioning a fan in front of your bike whilst on the trainer. Keeps things cooler and dries off some of the sweat.

I use a magnetic trainer (not too loud once its warmed up) so I can't help you with the first question, but I usually watch old videos of "The Tour" or "Breaking Away" any cycling video gets me motivated. I trained a few day a week last year and found a significant improvement come spring. I usually ride from 30 to 60 minutes depending on if I'm pushing the hear rate or trying to keep it low. It's tuff to get motivated to ride the trainer at the end of the season but when the weather stays below freezing I start to feel the need to be on my bike even if it means riding the trainer. Good luck and hope spring comes early to your neck of the woods.