CycleOps Fluid Trainer

Sm

Guest
Has anyone here used a CycleOps Fluid trainer, if so what did you think?

"SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Has anyone here used a CycleOps Fluid trainer, if so what did you think?

It works. It is boring to ride it. Easy to put a bike into it and when spring comes, it is easy
to store (I keep mine under my bed). The only down side appears to be excess tire wear. If I ride
all winter long on the trainer, I would have to buy a new rear tire in the spring. For me that's
not a big deal.

Don't know how it compares to other trainers.

CHeers Andrew

[email protected] (Andrew) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Has anyone here used a CycleOps Fluid trainer, if so what did you think?
>
> It works. It is boring to ride it. Easy to put a bike into it and when spring comes, it is easy to
> store (I keep mine under my bed). The only down side appears to be excess tire wear. If I ride all
> winter long on the trainer, I would have to buy a new rear tire in the spring. For me that's not a
> big deal.
>
> Don't know how it compares to other trainers.
>
> CHeers Andrew

You might also check out the Kurt Kinetic. It is exceptionally smooth
- especially the Road Machine version. Plus due to the design there is a much less chance of fluid
leakage. My is great.

"SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone here used a CycleOps Fluid trainer, if so what did you think?

You can spin easy in the little ring, or you can kill yourself in the big ring. Plenty of resistance
and range.

Make sure to tighten down the roller drum against the tire adequately. I didn't believe the
instructions when they said how much to tighten the roller drum against the tire. I set it with less
pressure against the tire. It took me a while to realize it, but this was causing slippage that made
the unit seem very un-smooth and it ate up my tires VERY fast. When I realized what was going on, I
tightened things down so the rear wheel wouldn't slip. Voila ... the unit was smooth and great to
ride and it took far less toll on my tires.

Bob C. (formerly [email protected])

I have had a Fluid2 for a couple of years and think its the best out there. A lot of the replies
will mention excessive tire wear. I have been using the same tire on my trainers and rollers for the
past five years. I got the cheapest slick tread tire I could find (Michelin HiLite Super Comp on
close out) and have had no problems at all. However, the bike I use for my indoor training is used
just for that. Its an old bike make up of parts left over from upgrades. Maybe dirty tires hasten
the wear while rubbing on the roller. By the way Graber, the people that now own CycleOps are a
class act when it comes to warranty service, should you ever need it. "SM" <[email protected]> wrote in