Cycleops Fluid Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Captain Dondo

I have the opportunity to buy a 3 year old cycle-ops fluid trainer. This thing looks like it's been
used a bit, but not a whole lot.

I know next to nothing about cycle-ops or their trainers. This particular trainer is one of the
older ones with a small heat sink.

The guy's asking $100 for it.

I've read all of the horror stories about the trainers leaking, etc.

Is it worth it? I live in a small town, and there just aren't too many other options for getting a
trainer locally.

Any other good indoor trainers?

-Dondo

--
What am I on? I'm on my bike, o__ 6 hours a day, busting my ass. ,>/'_ What are you on? --Lance
Armstrong (_)\(_)

Captain,

I have owned a Cyclops Fluid trainer for about 3 years. Between my spouse and I we use it about 8
times/week in the winter.... and we haven't had any problems with it.

My brother has the same model and he did have a leaking problem. Cyclops customer service stepped up
and sent a replacement part via FedEx at no cost and with no questions nor drama. Since then he
hasn't had a problem.

For $100 I'd jump on it, IMO.

Good Luck, Jim

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have the opportunity to buy a 3 year old cycle-ops fluid trainer. This thing looks like it's
> been used a bit, but not a whole lot.
>
> I know next to nothing about cycle-ops or their trainers. This particular trainer is one of the
> older ones with a small heat sink.
>
> The guy's asking $100 for it.
>
> I've read all of the horror stories about the trainers leaking, etc.
>
> Is it worth it? I live in a small town, and there just aren't too many other options for getting a
> trainer locally.
>
> Any other good indoor trainers?
>
> -Dondo
>
> --
> What am I on? I'm on my bike, o__ 6 hours a day, busting my ass. ,>/'_ What are you on? --Lance
> Armstrong (_)\(_)
>

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have the opportunity to buy a 3 year old cycle-ops fluid trainer. This thing looks like it's
> been used a bit, but not a whole lot.
>
> I know next to nothing about cycle-ops or their trainers. This particular trainer is one of the
> older ones with a small heat sink.
>
> The guy's asking $100 for it.
>
> I've read all of the horror stories about the trainers leaking, etc.
>
> Is it worth it? I live in a small town, and there just aren't too many other options for getting a
> trainer locally.
>
> Any other good indoor trainers?
>
> -Dondo
>
> --
> What am I on? I'm on my bike, o__ 6 hours a day, busting my ass. ,>/'_ What are you on? --Lance
> Armstrong (_)\(_)

Mine is about three years old. It sprung a leak last year. Cyclops (or whoever the new owners are
... I don't remember) sent me a replacement resistance unit -- no questions asked and no cost to me
except that I had to go to the relatively minor hassle of returning the dead unit in a pre-paid
shipping container they provided.

No problems since. At $100 it's probably an OK thing to do.

Bob C.

My LBS carried them a few years ago but ended up ditching them because too many customers were
returning them for the fluid leak you mentioned. However, CycleOps' newer version -- called the
"CycleOps Fluid 2" -- is supposed to have corrected this problem (the original version was simply
called the "CycleOps Fluid")

If it's the Fluid 2, you should be OK. If it's the original, you have to make sure that it's still
under warranty so that if it does begin to leak, you won't be out of 100$.

And to answer your question about other indoor trainers... it depends on what you plan to do with it
(easy spinning just to keep your legs moving or intensive interval training).

There are many trainers out there with a wide range of wind, magnetic, and fluid resistance. You can
do a little digging on the Internet and if you can't find the model you're looking for locally, you
can order it online from many e-shops.

Here are some links to the more well-known indoor trainer makers:

CycleOps: www.cycleops.com Tacx: www.tacx.nl Minoura: www.minoura.jp/index-et.html Kinetic:
www.kurtkinetic.com Elite: www.elite-it.com/eng/f_home.htm

Hope this helps.

Cwazee Yeti

Cwazee Yeti wrote:

> And to answer your question about other indoor trainers... it depends on what you plan to do with
> it (easy spinning just to keep your legs moving or intensive interval training).

It's going to be pretty intensive interval training, perhaps once a week, for just a few weeks,
which is why I don't want to drop $300 or something. I'm trying to use rollers again for the easy
spinning stuff
- that's a challenge. I did get up on them for a few minutes yesterday...

I'm looking for a trainer as I max out the lifecycles in the local gym... And the lifecycles' fit
and their seats sucks.

-Dondo

--
What am I on? I'm on my bike, o__ 6 hours a day, busting my ass. ,>/'_ What are you on? --Lance
Armstrong (_)\(_)

Captain Dondo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Cwazee Yeti wrote:
>
> > And to answer your question about other indoor trainers... it depends on what you plan to do
> > with it (easy spinning just to keep your legs moving or intensive interval training).
>
> It's going to be pretty intensive interval training, perhaps once a week, for just a few weeks,
> which is why I don't want to drop $300 or something. I'm trying to use rollers again for the easy
> spinning stuff
> - that's a challenge. I did get up on them for a few minutes yesterday...
>
> I'm looking for a trainer as I max out the lifecycles in the local gym... And the lifecycles' fit
> and their seats sucks.
>
> -Dondo

Cycle-ops was purchased by Graber products a couple of years ago. The old CycleOps was not too good.
Their fluid trainers leaked and their customer service was less than stellar. Graber Products seems
much better.

I have owned a trainer from both. If the unit you want to buy is from the old Cycleops then, IMO,
it's not worth $100. My new Graber Products Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer if very good, however. I have
about 1700 miles on it and it puts out a LOT of resistance at high speeds.

Speaking only from my own experience, Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.