CycleOps Trainer

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jordon198, Jan 1, 2004.

1. jordon198

jordon198 New Member

For Christmas I received a CycleOps indoor trainer, and plan on using it when it is too cold/dark to ride. In the owners manual it says that using the device will cause increased tire wear, and they reccomend using a harder compound tire.

I have Bontrager " Select B " now and my questions are: How much more wear does it put on the tires?, Is there anything that I can do to put less wear on them when using the trainer?, and lastly would it be worth it to get a seperate rear wheel to use only on the trainer?

Thanks again for your advice, it helps us novice riders out there.

Happy New Year.

Tags:

2. Cipher

Cipher New Member

The only thing I would recommend, (and do myself with my trainer is to make sure to keep the roller-to-tire contact tension to a minimum) and use creap tires! :D

3. daveornee

daveornee New Member

I agree with OP about using cheap tires. It also helps if the wheel/tire unit are radially true. You want to minimize heat build-up and abrasion wear. Keep air pressure up. Old heavy tires that have thick hard tread work fine on the trainer.
    A cheap old wheel that you can mount for trainer specific will allow you to switch quickly for your road rides.
    If you have tires that you were afraid to ride on the road due to sidewall cuts, etc., you can boot them and ride them on the trainer.