Cycles and trains

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bryan, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    Well having had many varied experiences of getting bikes on trains (as have others on the ng) thought the 'National Rail-Cycle awards' might be of interest, shame thee isn't a 'worst station', and biggest jobsworth :) Details here
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1694
    and full information here:
    www.cyclerailawards.com

    Bryan

    Tags:

  2. tom

    tom Guest

    I notice the 'extended deadline for entries and nominations - Friday 16
    September'

    Anything to do with not actually receiving any? :)

  3. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:57:20 GMT, tom <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I notice the 'extended deadline for entries and nominations - Friday 16
    >September'
    >
    >Anything to do with not actually receiving any? :)

    I discovere the hard way that the new barriers at railway stations ,
    well Haymarket, carry the mark of idiot. Try carrying a medium
    sized piece of luggage through (fold unfold fold unfold) and the gate
    shuts while the carrier is going through - cue telling off by peed off
    employee.

    Suppose I have to wait for the gate.... At least that employs a human
    ticket checker.

    As an antidote. I noticed that there is room for 6 bikes on the tiny
    train that runs from Edinburgh to Glasgow Central - 6! Now I can
    think of a few big locomotive hauled behemoths that are far more
    restrictive.. Shows what can be done when there is a will

    Richard Webb

  4. tom

    tom Guest

    > As an antidote. I noticed that there is room for 6 bikes on the tiny train
    > that runs from Edinburgh to Glasgow Central - 6! Now I can think of a few
    > big locomotive hauled behemoths that are far more restrictive.. Shows what
    > can be done when there is a will

    Absolutely. The small 2-carriage trains operated by Wessex trains in the
    south west have space for at least 8 bikes, and I would say 12.
    Unfortunately, those in power set an upper limit of 2. Yes, 2 - despite
    there being space for more.

    Roll on my move to Edinburgh!

  5. Martin Dann

    Martin Dann Guest

    In message <[email protected]>
    Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well having had many varied experiences of getting bikes on trains (as
    > have others on the ng) thought the 'National Rail-Cycle awards' might
    > be of interest, shame thee isn't a 'worst station', and biggest
    > jobsworth :) Details here
    > http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1694
    > and full information here:
    > www.cyclerailawards.com

    My nomination would be Maidstone Baracks to Aylesford about ten years ago.
    No ticket machines or booths at baracks. (ok there is a flight of stairs.)
    No ticket checkers at Aylesford.
    Guard on the train opened the double doors for the luggage section,
    then went off. At Aylesford got off the train, not paying a penny.
    (Five minute Journey).

    Although I did have to walk the bike home for twenty odd minutes, and
    spend some money on it. (rear derailer broke).

    Martin.

    --
    Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
    When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

  6. Richard Webb wrote:
    > On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:57:20 GMT, tom <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snip>

    > As an antidote. I noticed that there is room for 6 bikes on the tiny
    > train that runs from Edinburgh to Glasgow Central - 6! Now I can
    > think of a few big locomotive hauled behemoths that are far more
    > restrictive.. Shows what can be done when there is a will

    Bear in mind that this is not the direct and fastest route between
    Edinburgh and Glasgow. The (every) 15 min service which goes between
    Waverly and Glasgow Queen street uses Turbostars whose bike capacity is
    2(?) bikes per 3 car set.

    There are accasional GNER services between Waverly and Glasgow which are
    loco-hauled.

    Kennedy

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > Well having had many varied experiences of getting bikes on trains (as
    > have others on the ng) thought the 'National Rail-Cycle awards' might
    > be of interest, shame thee isn't a 'worst station', and biggest
    > jobsworth :) Details here
    > http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1694
    > and full information here:
    > www.cyclerailawards.com

    I see there is nothing stopping you making negative nominations. So for
    example you could nominate Southern under the "Most Innovative Approach
    to Cycle/Rail Integration" for the banning of cyclists doing the London
    Brighton run or National Rail for withdrawing the on-line bike
    reservation system and making it more and more difficult to make the
    increasingly required bike reservation. Or Wessex Trains under the
    "Best Customer Service" for making a cyclist miss two trains through
    jobsworthiness. Best Government contribution could be the removal of
    Anglia Railways' franchise for repeatedly winning the Cyclemark Award

    It might be a rather amusing way of getting the message through that the
    railways are going backwards as far as cycling provision is concerned.

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  8. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:05:33 +0100 someone who may be Tony Raven
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >I see there is nothing stopping you making negative nominations.

    I have nominated Scotrail. Some of their staff are jobsworths and
    will not allow more than two bikes on trains with space for at least
    five. I'm sure they would like to prevent all cyclists on "their"
    trains.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I have nominated Scotrail. Some of their staff are jobsworths and
    > will not allow more than two bikes on trains with space for at least
    > five. I'm sure they would like to prevent all cyclists on "their"
    > trains.

    I've nominated Indian Railways. They are bloody good when compared to our
    muppets.

  10. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    David Hansen wrote:
    > I have nominated Scotrail. Some of their staff are jobsworths and
    > will not allow more than two bikes on trains with space for at least
    > five. I'm sure they would like to prevent all cyclists on "their"
    > trains.

    To be fair to Scotrail they do have their upsides. I have frequently
    carried a bike from Edinburgh to Glasgow during rush hour with no
    complaints from the staff, and the conductor once asked people on a busy
    train to move so that my mate and I could put our bikes on.

    GNER on the other hand... most of the time they're fine, but when they
    get it wrong!

    Jon

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jon Senior wrote:

    > To be fair to Scotrail they do have their upsides.

    Absolutely. Some guards on some of their trains seem to be working
    on the amazing assumption that good customer service (a.k.a.
    helping their clients) is a Good Thing!

    A pal cycles/commutes from Dundee to Montrose every day. He has a
    Brom so it's not a problem, but he reports attitudes to more
    typical bikes is very much dependent on the guards. Some fall over
    themselves to help, some don't really mind either way, and some (as
    David suggests) appear to be on a mission to have cyclists and
    their troublesome machines eliminated. Consistent they ain't, though.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  12. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:16:54 +0100 someone who may be Peter Clinch
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Absolutely. Some guards on some of their trains seem to be working
    >on the amazing assumption that good customer service (a.k.a.
    >helping their clients) is a Good Thing!

    Indeed they do. IMX the good ones outnumber the bad ones by a
    little, which is why I was careful to say I was only referring to
    some.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.