CycleXpress

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob Flemming, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    Ordered some odds and sods on Sunday evening - showed up Tuesday morning at 8am!

    Good service, or what?

    bob (just a shame I ordered the wrong damn freehub..;-/)

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Bob Flemming wrote:
    > Ordered some odds and sods on Sunday evening - showed up Tuesday morning at 8am!
    >
    > Good service, or what?

    Is good, and probably the cheapest source for Open Pro rims at £21 post free. Shame they never have
    much else I want.

    ~PB

  3. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 00:48:36 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Shame they never have much else I want.

    Sure, but I wonder how much stuff they have that is not advertised on the web-site? Probably not a
    busting lot, but..

    I ordered a Deore 9sp freehub by mistake, not realizing it was 135mm spacing, and wanted a 130mm for
    a road bike. The web-site didn't show a suitable alternative, but one the guys on the phone said he
    could fix me up the very thing..

    So....get it on the web-site boys so we can see it!

    bob <no complaints here though

  4. Pete Biggs wrote:

    [snip]

    > Is good, and probably the cheapest source for Open Pro rims at £21 post free. Shame they never
    > have much else I want.

    Are these good ? I'm looking for a pair of rims to supplement my existing Arayas (I currently have a
    7-speed freewheel and want to migrate to a 7-speed freehub which I already own : 126mm spacing is
    the underlying limitation). And what does "CD" and "Ceramic" mean in this context -- silverm black &
    blue I understand, but I'm lost on the others ...

    ** Phil.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Philip TAYLOR [PC336/H-XP] wrote:

    >> and probably the cheapest source for Open Pro rims at £21 post free.
    >
    > Are these good ?

    Yes, good general purpose rim for a road bike. Lightweight and strong for its weight, but I reckon
    the slightly heavier and deeper Mavic CXP33 should be stronger if weight is not much of a concern
    and you can afford the extra cost. Mavic MA3 should be ok and strong if you want a low cost one.

    > I'm looking for a pair of rims to supplement my existing Arayas

    What type and quality of bike is it and what do you do with it?

    > And what does "CD" and "Ceramic" mean in this context

    CD is French for hard anodized. It's a kind of ceramic coating or process applied to protect the rim
    and make its surface harder. It has little advantage but a potentially terrible disadvantage: rims
    are more prone to cracking! That's according to theory (cracks in surface propogate into rest of
    rim), and although it proves nothing on its own, the only rim I've ever completely busted open was
    an MA40 - which is the hard anodized version of the highly respected (and now defunct) MA2. So I
    personally wouldn't buy them again (until I'm very rich at least). By the way, all the other
    versions (including silver) are soft anodised - which is harmless.

    I think the "Ceramic" versions have their braking surfaces CD'd too so require special brake pads.
    Some people like them, others find braking with this type of rim awful.

    There is a *minor* problem with clicking noises with some Open Pros (find more details via Google
    Groups) but not all do it, and apparently the latest ones being made are better.

    ~PB

  6. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Philip TAYLOR [PC336/H-XP] wrote:
    >
    > >> and probably the cheapest source for Open Pro rims at £21 post free.
    > >
    > > Are these good ?
    >
    > Yes, good general purpose rim for a road bike. Lightweight and strong for its weight, but I reckon
    > the slightly heavier and deeper Mavic CXP33 should be stronger if weight is not much of a concern
    > and you can afford the extra cost. Mavic MA3 should be ok and strong if you want a low cost one.
    >
    > > I'm looking for a pair of rims to supplement my existing Arayas
    >
    > What type and quality of bike is it and what do you do with it?

    Many thanks for the feedback, Pete. The bike is my pride-and-joy, an Suntour-equipped
    aluminium-framed Sakae-Ringyo (SR) picked up for around GBP 200 at Oxted cycle fair a couple of
    years ago. It predates the use of oversized tubing, so looks much more elegant to my ageing eyes,
    and is the sort of bike I would have given my eye teeth for when I was a lad at school. What I do
    with it is to cycle around country lanes with my wife (who's about half my age), re-living my youth,
    pretending I could keep up with the TdF peloton (something I couldn't even have done as a teenager!)
    and wishing I were still less than ten stones in weight rather than nearly thirteen... But at least
    I can climb hills again, although I keep putting off the dreadful day when I finally tackle Titsey
    Hill out of Westerham.

    ** Phil.

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP] wrote:
    > Many thanks for the feedback, Pete. The bike is my pride-and-joy, an Suntour-equipped
    > aluminium-framed Sakae-Ringyo (SR) picked up for around GBP 200 at Oxted cycle fair a couple of
    > years ago. It predates the use of oversized tubing, so looks much more elegant to my ageing eyes,
    > and is the sort of bike I would have given my eye teeth for when I was a lad at school. What I do
    > with it is to cycle around country lanes with my wife (who's about half my age), re-living my
    > youth, pretending I could keep up with the TdF peloton (something I couldn't even have done as a
    > teenager!) and wishing I were still less than ten stones in weight rather than nearly thirteen...
    > But at least I can climb hills again, although I keep putting off the dreadful day when I finally
    > tackle Titsey Hill out of Westerham.

    Hi Phil, I reckon the Open Pro would do what you need well, although it's not a particularly
    elegant-looking rim - in a classic way at least. But who cares about that when you've got a wife
    half your age :)

    ~PB

  8. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP] wrote:
    > > Many thanks for the feedback, Pete. The bike is my pride-and-joy, an Suntour-equipped
    > > aluminium-framed Sakae-Ringyo (SR) picked up for around GBP 200 at Oxted cycle fair a couple of
    > > years ago. It predates the use of oversized tubing, so looks much more elegant to my ageing
    > > eyes, and is the sort of bike I would have given my eye teeth for when I was a lad at school.
    > > What I do with it is to cycle around country lanes with my wife (who's about half my age),
    > > re-living my youth, pretending I could keep up with the TdF peloton (something I couldn't even
    > > have done as a teenager!) and wishing I were still less than ten stones in weight rather than
    > > nearly thirteen... But at least I can climb hills again, although I keep putting off the
    > > dreadful day when I finally tackle Titsey Hill out of Westerham.
    >
    > Hi Phil, I reckon the Open Pro would do what you need well, although it's not a particularly
    > elegant-looking rim - in a classic way at least. But who cares about that when you've got a wife
    > half your age :)

    Nice point : many thanks, Pete! ** Phil.

  9. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 00:24:39 +0100, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ordered some odds and sods on Sunday evening - showed up Tuesday morning at 8am!
    >
    >Good service, or what?

    I'll second that. I've had excellent service from www.cyclexpress.co.uk every time I've dealt with
    them. I've previously asked them over the phone if they could be quick with an order to help me out
    and it came through the front door the very next morning. They've also cheerfully accepted returns
    from me over a month after the original purchase (when I put the box on a shelf and forgot about
    it). As a bonus they have great prices and free delivery. Couldn't really ask for much more.

    Bob