Cycling: A Novel - another weird thing - I77 not in texas

Wle

Guest
author mentions I77 going through waco, but I35 is the only
interstate i see on the map.

he must be talking about US77, which does go through, and
seems to share the same road with I77 for some stretches,
but it's not "I77" there or anywhere else in not texas..

I77 goes from columbia south carolina to cleveland, but not
any part of texas..

wle.

On 11 Mar 2004 10:02:34 -0800, [email protected] (wle) wrote:

>author mentions I77 going through waco, but I35 is the only
>interstate i see on the map.
>
>he must be talking about US77, which does go through, and
>seems to share the same road with I77 for some stretches,
>but it's not "I77" there or anywhere else in not texas..
>
>I77 goes from columbia south carolina to cleveland, but not
>any part of texas..

You don't cycle on interstates.

-Luigi

>wle.

In article <[email protected]>,
luigi12081 @cox.net says...
> On 11 Mar 2004 10:02:34 -0800, [email protected]
> (wle) wrote:
>
> >author mentions I77 going through waco, but I35 is the
> >only interstate i see on the map.
> >
> >he must be talking about US77, which does go through, and
> >seems to share the same road with I77 for some stretches,
> >but it's not "I77" there or anywhere else in not texas..
> >
> >I77 goes from columbia south carolina to cleveland, but
> >not any part of texas..
> >

> You don't cycle on interstates.

In many rural areas of the American West, you do, because
they're the only reasonable route between some cities (and
that's why it's permitted).

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

"Luigi de Guzman" wrote
> You don't cycle on interstates.
>
> -Luigi

Actually, there are states in the Western US where it is
legal to cycle on rural Interstates. In fact, part of
the designated bike route between Denver, CO and
Glenwood Springs uses the shoulder of I-70. These
Interstates generally have wide breakdown lanes with
rumble strips separating the breakdown lane from the
regular travel lanes. The rumble strips were specially
developed by the Colorado Dep't. of Transportation in
cooperation with Bicycle Colorado to be as cyclist-
friendly as possible, while serving their intended
purpose of alerting drowsy/inattentive drivers that they
are drifting off the roadway.

I might add that the Interstates where cycling is permitted
are frequently the only paved roadways in the areas they
pass through, which is probably why cycling is permitted on
rural Interstates in these states.
--
mark

mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> Actually, there are states in the Western US where it is
> legal to cycle on rural Interstates.

All of I-5 in Oregon is legal to cycle, except for some
crowded parts going through downtown Portland. I have seen
folks cycling on I-5 several times, but they were always
armed with multiple bright flags.

Ben
--
Never wear your best pants when you go to fight for freedom.

David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > You don't cycle on interstates.
>
> don't tell that to those of us out west.

in one place he only mentions crossing under it.

but in another i do think, yes, he mentions pedaling madly
to not get hit by the flying 18 wheelers.

he also seems not to have the religion of 'vehicular
cycling', even off the interstate, because he stays to the
edge of the road and worries about getting hit.

wle.

[email protected] (wle) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> author mentions I77 going through waco, but I35 is the
> only interstate i see on the map.
>
> he must be talking about US77, which does go through, and
> seems to share the same road with I77 for some stretches,
> but it's not "I77" there or anywhere else in not texas..

well ! he wrote back and said i was right, it is not I77 but
US77 that he meant, he will correct it in paperback and
later editions, thanks for reading, quite nice about it.

wle.

11 Mar 2004 20:58:14 -0800,
<[email protected]>, [email protected]
(wle) wrote:

>[email protected] (wle) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> author mentions I77 going through waco, but I35 is the
>> only interstate i see on the map.
>>
>> he must be talking about US77, which does go through, and
>> seems to share the same road with I77 for some stretches,
>> but it's not "I77" there or anywhere else in not texas..
>
>well ! he wrote back and said i was right, it is not I77
>but US77 that he meant, he will correct it in paperback and
>later editions, thanks for reading, quite nice about it.
>
>wle.

What! How many mistakes is this guy making? He's going to
give all cyclists a bad name and then drivers who read it
will hunt us down and kill us with their cars.
--
zk