Cycling Accident

whuppingboy

Feb 22, 2010
Today on the way to work i encountered a road block set up by police, i was allowed to slip through whilst all the cars had to detour.
Since then i was sorry to find out a cyclist had been involved in an accident with a drunk driver who was being chased by the police.
Looking at the time of the incident i was surprised to find out it was MIDNIGHT!
Who on earth cycles at midnight?
I have done some night rides and enjoyed them immensely but midnight is a bit too late.
Apart from people who work shifts etc who else does night rides at that time?
NUTTERS!!!

That is sad news indeed. During the time I was laid off I did rides in my local park's 3.5 mile circuit after midnight quite a bit, especially once an early evening bar buzz was wearing off. But then again it's closed to traffic and there is a semblance of police presence. I prefer the moniker freak over nutters /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Reactions: steve
I know (or once knew) a young lady that had hit and killed a jogger. Her defense had been simple. It was late (after 11 PM) and it was raining. Who would expect to need to watch out for a jogger in those conditions.

I don't know about your area at all... and can only guess about my own. It's winter here in the mid-west and I still see cyclist and bike riders but not many. When we do have a warm day.. I will see other cyclist [like myself] out in proper gear and with nice bikes.

But I also see commuters, or people who seem to depend on a bicycle for basic transportation. I don't mean just the guys that work downtown and ride to work year-round. I mean guys who wear winter coats and ride with lunch boxes in hand. Or some, I've seen digging through dumpsters to find soda cans that they store in bags tied to the handlebars. I would imagine some of these people (from both groups) also work late hours.... or even have a drink in a bar... from time-to-time.

Actually... it was watching one of the dumpster-divers that inspired me to ride more in cold weather. I figured if he could handle the weather in bare hands and blue jeans I could handle it in proper gear. Plus I add in a warm-up stop at a coffee shop if I get cold.

But people aren't expecting to see cyclist (or joggers) out in the colder months. So even in the daylight I use a blinky on my seat post and wear reflective clothing, when I ride off-season.

Reactions: steve
I cycle late from time to time. This time of year it get dark pretty early, so even a 5pm or 6pm ride requires lights and reflective gear.

The latest/earliest I have ridden is 3:00 am. I do several centuries+ in the summer. I leave early in the morning, the wife and kids leave at a normalish time and we meet at the destination with plenty of time left in the day for activities.

Night riding is perhaps more hazardous, but then again there is less traffic and you get a lot of advance warning from vehicles approaching from behind. It can be alot of fun, you feel like you are travelling a lot faster - just have plenty of illumination and reflective gear and watch out for the critters on the road.

Originally Posted by maydog .

you get a lot of advance warning from vehicles approaching from behind.
I saw in one of the other threads a ride posted for Devon, England. I've ridden and driven there and around Sussex a bit and with the many narrow twisty lanes (in some places it's so narrow one car needs to pull of the road to let the other pass) it's almost safer to drive fast at night because of the advanced warning from headlights. Being drunk though I imagine would nullify any said benefit, and no lights would indeed be downright hazardous.

Next time you are out driving in the rain at night ask yourself if you could see a bicyclist.

It is much harder to see anything than you might think.

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

Next time you are out driving in the rain at night ask yourself if you could see a bicyclist.

It is much harder to see anything than you might think.

If you can't see a bike with the proper gear on the road at night and or in the rain, you shouldn't be driving.

Reactions: SportsFans
Originally Posted by maydog .

If you can't see a bike with the proper gear on the road at night and or in the rain, you shouldn't be driving.

It is very difficult to see a biycle that is NOT there. It is often times just as difficult to see a bicycle that is there.

If you have done much driving in the dark or in the rain, you will realize that obvious objects suddenly appear out of nowhere.

For the most part there is no harm.

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

objects suddenly appear out of nowhere.
When it's raining in sheets and dark out, this is pretty common.

If the weather is such that you can't see a cyclist or avoid hazards, then you either need to slow down or get off the road. Full stop. Not seeing something isn't an excuse.

It doesn't matter who is in the right if you are the one that get's killed since you have no venue to celebrate your correctness. As far as I know.Still sad for someone.

my cycling buddy and myself always ride passed midnight. sometime all through the night and finish around sun rise. but we have a bike trail that cyclist can use to get from one end of the city to the other. no car could possibly get on the cycling road though, so it's safe.

I used to get concerned just driving home after the closing shift. Past 11 pm on Fridays and Saturdays, I estimate that at least half the drivers are in some way impaired.

oldbobcat said:
I used to get concerned just driving home after the closing shift. Past 11 pm on Fridays and Saturdays, I estimate that at least half the drivers are in some way impaired.
I love riding at night, especially in the summer here when daytime temps can get a bit too cozy, but you mention one of the two things that worry me about riding at night: the drunk, high, or extremely tired drivers.

Reactions: SportsFans
Originally Posted by alienator .

If the weather is such that you can't see a cyclist or avoid hazards, then you either need to slow down or get off the road. Full stop. Not seeing something isn't an excuse.
There is a saying "When you hear hoof beats, think horses; not zebras." People see what they expect to see.

You are a bicyclist. As am I. You expect to see bicycles. As do I.

Most people expect to see motor vehicles. That is what they see. At night the lights on a bicycle look a lot like a distant motor vehicle. Suddenly the motorist realizes their error - if the motorist is lucky.

I have driven a follow car for bicyclists. Approaching a brightly lit area, the bicycle lights look just like any other roadside light.

---

I have been seriously injured while bicycling. So I understand how life happens. Uninsured DUIs are tough to collect damages from. I used to have $100K of liability insurance. After my accident I increased it to $300K. I wanted to set the example that I was able to compensate people for the damage I did even if accidental.

If you want to do take the risk of riding in the dark be aware there are consequences.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

I work the second shift and this is the reason why I don't commute on my bike. Although law Enforcement is is on high alert during this period of time. I was pulled over one night on my way home from work and the first question I was asked is if I have been drinking. I looked at the officer and asked what made him think that. He replied that I appeared to be driving rather cautiously and that was why he asked.
I would add Thursday to list of nights to be on alert for impaired drivers.

I live in a college town. I've been here since I started in that college almost 20 years ago. While I was attending, Thursdays had really taken off as a popular drinking night, and I don't think that has changed much since.

Yeah it is late. Some people can't sleep I guess. The fresh air might help them. Everyone has a different body clock. I could ride at any time myself, but it is better to go when it makes sense. Safety is something that should be taken into consideration at all times.

I worked my way through school and was a crazy nut who use to walk or jog to and from work everyday(5 miles). Everyone always use to tell me the dangers of running at night, but ironically the only accident I've ever had occurred at 9:00pm during the summer on a very lit road. The problem with exercising at night is everyone seems to be less aware of danger, cyclist,pedestrians,joggers and motorist. For example, I bet most cyclist are less likely to stop at stop signs an lights during late night hours. After my accident and despite my family's concert, I continued to get home by foot for another 3 years, I never left home without my reflective jacket that lights up though. I've been outside every possibly time of day to walk/jog, but refuse to do it on a bike. If its bad weather/poor visibility, i'll walk on someones lawn if I have too.I feel on a bike, the road will become your enemy during bad conditions.

Who knows he is already on his way home from a long distance ride? Everyone has his own choice as to when he wants to go out for whatever activity he wishes to do. I know this cyclist is aware of his safety and had done his part in making sure he follows the rules and precautions it is that drunk driver who is at fault