Cycling Accident

LinB

Sep 8, 2015
Have you ever been in a bike riding accident? Or maybe you have had close encounters. I've had a few close calls my self, but somehow I scraped through. I realize that you have to be very cautious as a rider because you may not necessarily meet in an accident due to speeding, but simply because someone else is not paying attention on the road and runs into you. Have you ever met in an accident?

Reactions: kmars
I am aware of these people who will shout at you and all. I know the chances of getting into a fight or accident so I would not retaliate and keep myself calm and compose. Anything could happen so I would rather stay level-headed and leave the scene as much as I can

I've never been in an accident, but have close calls once in a while. One day it was my fault, nearly wiped out due to bad cornering(only been riding 4 months) and I get the stupid close drivers once in a while. Not much you can do about these types of people, just make sure to pay attention.

Aside from minor crashes, I'm sure glad I never had figured in an accident. There was this accident recently when the messenger of my husband's office was hit by a speeding car in the main road. He suffered a fractured leg specifically in the shin. The doctor was advising a metal brace but the culprit, who was to pay for all the expenses, insisted to just place the leg in a cast. When the cast was removed after 2 months, there is a bulge in the shin. Now, the messenger is still using crutches so as not to abuse the damaged leg. But the question is how long does he need to use the crutches?

I've always cycled to work, its a daily journey of about 2 miles each way and I live in a fairly large town thats infamous for having heavy traffic. The local council has invested heavily in cycle-paths around the town in recent years but I still have several stretches on open-roads that are filled with multiple lanes of fast-moving traffic every morning. I've had a few close shaves, always caused by a lack of regard for cyclists by car drivers. The road can be a dangerous place to ride and you have to remain focused and alert when cars are near, always make sure you're not blocking lanes and be aware that some car drivers have imperfect vision that gives them a curious blind spot to cyclists. Treat every single car as if its driven by someone who's blind and you'll have the right level of caution.

Keyan said:
I am aware of these people who will shout at you and all. I know the chances of getting into a fight or accident so I would not retaliate and keep myself calm and compose. Anything could happen so I would rather stay level-headed and leave the scene as much as I can
That sounds like a smart thing to do. They say we should run so we can fight another day.

I'm so grateful to have never been in a serious accident. I've taken plenty of spills on the trails, but nothing worse than a few bruises or scratches here and there. I've never come close in traffic either, which I think is mostly luck mixed with the fact that I'm an extremely defensive rider when on the road.

One guy I ride with got in a collision on a fire access road coming down a mountain though. It was a steep grade, all loose rocks and gravel, and thick forest on either side. He's about three quarters of the way down and just booting it, I don't know how fast but probably close to 20km/hr. Anyway, a deer jumps out onto the road, without warning the way they like to, maybe two feet in front of my buddy. He jams on the brakes, starts skidding and takes out the deer. Luckily he was wearing a helmet with full face coverage, because I'm pretty sure those flailing hooves could have done a lot of damage.

Anyway, man and deer untangled themselves and the deer hopped away into the forest and my friend came out of it shaken up but with a good story... I'm left just hoping that I never have to witness an accident that's more serious than funny.

Steve Dawson said:
I've always cycled to work, its a daily journey of about 2 miles each way and I live in a fairly large town thats infamous for having heavy traffic. The local council has invested heavily in cycle-paths around the town in recent years but I still have several stretches on open-roads that are filled with multiple lanes of fast-moving traffic every morning. I've had a few close shaves, always caused by a lack of regard for cyclists by car drivers. The road can be a dangerous place to ride and you have to remain focused and alert when cars are near, always make sure you're not blocking lanes and be aware that some car drivers have imperfect vision that gives them a curious blind spot to cyclists. Treat every single car as if its driven by someone who's blind and you'll have the right level of caution.
Sounds like you are very careful at Rider. You gave some very sound advice just now. I will be sure to take heed to them.

[SIZE=11pt]I have met minor accidents like falling off my bike but I have not experienced major accidents or those relating to traffic accidents. I always take precaution in riding because I want a safe and peaceful ride. I maintain a normal speed and when I am on a busy street, I stay alert and always aware of my surroundings and other vehicles around me. I always obey traffic rules and follow them strictly, even though there are jerks on the road I still keep my composure in riding safe and defensive. Bike riders should take extra precaution because unlike other motor vehicles which are four-wheeled and more balanced, and also the drivers are protected inside, cyclists are more at risk because they are out in the open and also still need to balance themselves on two wheels which makes it more challenging in traffic and busy roads and streets. [/SIZE]

I've had a few near misses when riding on the road, none of them my fault I'd like to add!

Then again I've also had near misses in the car and on a motorbike as well, so for me its just one of the risks you take with any form of transport. All you can do is ride as safe as you can, you can't control other road users no matter what you do.

goldenmaine said:
I always take precaution in riding because I want a safe and peaceful ride. I maintain a normal speed and when I am on a busy street, I stay alert and always aware of my surroundings and other vehicles around me. I always obey traffic rules and follow them strictly, even though there are jerks on the road I still keep my composure in riding safe and defensive. Bike riders should take extra precaution because unlike other motor vehicles which are four-wheeled and more balanced, and also the drivers are protected inside, cyclists are more at risk because they are out in the open and also still need to balance themselves on two wheels which makes it more challenging in traffic and busy roads and streets.
I take so many precautions, but I don't wear a helmet! Luckily, I have never had an accident. My sister in law had a terrible bike accident years ago while riding on a pathway in a forest, and banged up her arm really bad. She was in a cast for several months. She never rode again.

LinB said:
Have you ever been in a bike riding accident?
A lot of people drive impaired. A lot of people are distracted.

I was hit and seriously injured. It is not not as much fun as one would think.

I haven't been in a bike accident in over 20 years. Someone did bump me from behind when I was young, but it was a collision that took place at a slow-speed, and thankfully I wasn't hurt apart from a few scrapes. This event has only caused me to be more vigilant and careful when I'm on the road.

This is an update on the accident that caused the leg fracture of the messenger in their office. The car owner shouldered all the expenses and the leg was looking good after some months. However, when an x-ray was taken, it showed that the bone did not heal. The messenger was nearing 60 years. The recommendation is to put a metal brace to connect the broken bones.

This is a neat lesson when riding at night. Never trust the driver of other vehicles because they might not be in good physical condition.

Close calls, yes. Plenty of them, mostly from car drivers riding like drunken idiots or when the wind blows a piece of cardboard or newspaper that directly impact against me. Risks are everywhere, and mostly in places where there is not place for biker's space.

Close calls, yes. Plenty of them, mostly from car drivers riding like drunken idiots or when the wind blows a piece of cardboard or newspaper that directly impact against me. Risks are everywhere, and mostly in places where there is not place for biker's space.

I think your the first person on the thread that's mentioned accidents that can happen but aren't caused by other road users.

Litter and wind can cause some close calls aswell and a few times I've had to swerve at the last minute as something as blown into my path. Cans or bottles are probably the worst, and when you swerve to avoid them, there's a chance you can cause an accident yourself as you'll cause a knock on effect. You swerve, the vehicle behind you has to swerve, and so on...

Thankfully I have never been in an accident but I remember a few years ago a boy was brought into the hospital I work at, two young men had been racing each other in their cars and one of them had driven straight into this 14 year old boy on his bike, sadly the boy passed away. It can all happen so quickly.

I've never had one involving a vehicle, but I was knocked over by a guy running out from some trees by the road., and hit a pothole I thought was just a puddle. Both times I suffered some skin loss and bruises. Ohhh yeah, there was one time, when i was a senior in High School. I was riding on a service road, and these guys rode right up next to me and started forcing me off the road. Then one guy reached our and shoved my shoulder and I went down. Couldn't get my foot out of the toe clip. I skidded on my side for a few yards, through broken glass, rocks, beads of tar...still have the scars on my right arm where I picked out the glass from under the skin. They got a pretty good laugh out of it, lol.

I've had a few near misses when riding on the road, none of them my fault I'd like to add!

Then again I've also had near misses in the car and on a motorbike as well, so for me its just one of the risks you take with any form of transport. All you can do is ride as safe as you can, you can't control other road users no matter what you do.
Good suggestion. I agree with you.

I've never had one involving a vehicle, but I was knocked over by a guy running out from some trees by the road., and hit a pothole I thought was just a puddle. Both times I suffered some skin loss and bruises. Ohhh yeah, there was one time, when i was a senior in High School. I was riding on a service road, and these guys rode right up next to me and started forcing me off the road. Then one guy reached our and shoved my shoulder and I went down. Couldn't get my foot out of the toe clip. I skidded on my side for a few yards, through broken glass, rocks, beads of tar...still have the scars on my right arm where I picked out the glass from under the skin. They got a pretty good laugh out of it, lol.

They might have got a good laugh out of it, but I hope you got the license plate of the car and either found out who they were or reported the incident?

Cycling is dangerous enough these days without having to also contend with di**heads like that.