Cycling Accidents

Gelsemium

Feb 17, 2015
Interesting chart eh?

11025175_10152681935122647_473270367606097683_n.jpg

If true, this actually makes plenty of sense. More cyclists means more protections for cyclists on the roads in the form of laws and bike lanes. Therefore, bicyclists wind up having more protections, and drivers are more likely to look out for cyclists. I don't find this chart that surprising at all, at least as it pertains to the United States. Some of the other countries are surprising, though.

More cyclists mean drivers are more cognizant of them. Especially when making right turns or opening drivers side doors. This makes total sense.

This is why helmet laws are counter productive. Helmet laws have demonstrated impact of reducing cycling activity. When the number of cyclists goes down fatalities increase.

We don't need helmet laws we need more cyclists and education (for drivers and cyclists) and better infrastructure.

I concur that this makes perfect sense. I would expect countries where there's a large percentage of road carnage to have fewer numbers of cyclists. If only more countries would encourage the use of bikes as opposed to automobiles, then the results would be there for all to see.

If more cyclist are being seen, then the assumption is that motorist will be weary of them. I would also think that city officials might take the time to address proper bike lanes and safety.

Yeah I agree here, it makes sense to me. In the city when I'm driving I see cyclists all the time so I generally am extra attentive for them. When I was touring around Sydney they had some great bike lanes and things as well that I wish we had more of here, I think those would really cut down on accidents!