Cycling Across America Movie

oldsoul247

Nov 7, 2011
The Native American clip was really interesting. Their culture is something that really interests me.

Going through the Native American Reservations was really eye opening. I hadn't really experienced something besides my sheltered suburb up to this ride so it was definitely something new. Its good to see some of the younger generation holding on to their rich cultural heritage. Thanks for watching!

Originally Posted by oldsoul247 .

Going through the Native American Reservations was really eye opening. I hadn't really experienced something besides my sheltered suburb up to this ride so it was definitely something new. Its good to see some of the younger generation holding on to their rich cultural heritage. Thanks for watching!
What's even more enlightening is the **** land they live on, the **** conditions in which they live, and how little the US government has honored in terms of promises and legal obligations toward Native Americans. My great grandma was lucky in that she married a white man. The rest of her tribe got to take a very long walk. Very long. How honorable. I'm sure all that was visible from the road. Meanwhile, the myth of some of the younger generation trying to hold on to their rich cultural heritage is certainly not a universal truth. On many reservations rich cultural heritage is being displaced by well entrenched gang activity, a very common occurrence in poor areas, where people are desperate and feel disenfranchised. Alcoholism is rampant, and the rate of diabetes diagnoses is increasing dramatically. Yep, hanging on to the rich cultural heritage does bring a tear to some eyes. It's too bad no one is doing anything to make the US honor its commitments to and treaties with Native Americans so that they can live with some dignity, in conditions worthy of human existence.

Originally Posted by alienator .

What's even more enlightening is the **** land they live on, the **** conditions in which they live, and how little the US government has honored in terms of promises and legal obligations toward Native Americans. My great grandma was lucky in that she married a white man. The rest of her tribe got to take a very long walk. Very long. How honorable. I'm sure all that was visible from the road. Meanwhile, the myth of some of the younger generation trying to hold on to their rich cultural heritage is certainly not a universal truth. On many reservations rich cultural heritage is being displaced by well entrenched gang activity, a very common occurrence in poor areas, where people are desperate and feel disenfranchised. Alcoholism is rampant, and the rate of diabetes diagnoses is increasing dramatically. Yep, hanging on to the rich cultural heritage does bring a tear to some eyes. It's too bad no one is doing anything to make the US honor its commitments to and treaties with Native Americans so that they can live with some dignity, in conditions worthy of human existence.

Yep, it's a shameful part of US history....a history many try to ignore.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Its definitely more negatives than positives. We did witness some very depressing scenes on the reservation and although a few pockets of progress are being made here and there its still pretty dismal. I'm hoping I can volunteer on a reservation for the upcoming year given. In particular, the natives do have one up in that they do not need to be as strict with the building codes as mainstream America since they are their own independent nation. A new type of self sustainable architecture called biotecture is now being built for the Lakota tribe and I really hope it spreads to other Indian nations too: http://www.earthship.net/lakota-sioux-earthship-images
One read of the news stories from Pine Ridge all know things aren't in good shape but that's all the reason more to keep trying

Yes, the native citizens of America remind me of how the Aborigines were treated by the white man in Australia and to a lesser extent how the Maori people were treated in New Zealand.

The short clip supplied by the OP was an eye opener for this European.

Reactions: oldsoul247
This looks really cool. Whats the plan and timeline for finalizing? What are you wanting to do with it once it's complete?

Originally Posted by shawea .

This looks really cool. Whats the plan and timeline for finalizing? What are you wanting to do with it once it's complete?
I'm pretty much finished now. I'm trying to figure out how to publicize it a bit more. If you have any ideas I'd be glad to give them a try.

Where in Ohio did you ride? Major stopping points? I used to live there

Edit, I watched a couple of them, very great series!

Im not really the person to talk to, but there are several cycling across x country or continent for charity movies that got into film festivals like Bamff etc. I would give them an email and ask about movie submission criteria. Or look at the credits of some for those successful movies and reach out to the biker and find out what they did.

Is there somewhere we can see the full feature?

I'm pretty much finished now. I'm trying to figure out how to publicize it a bit more. If you have any ideas I'd be glad to give them a try.

Shawea,
Thanks I'll give Bamff a shot. I finally got back in touch with my friend who does film production so he may try and help get it to film festivals. But for right now all I have is the different parts on youtube. I had trouble trying to get the whole film up in one shot because the file is enormous. Either way I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the advice!

Shawea,
Thanks I'll give Bamff a shot. I finally got back in touch with my friend who does film production so he may try and help get it to film festivals. But for right now all I have is the different parts on youtube. I had trouble trying to get the whole film up in one shot because the file is enormous. Either way I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the advice!

FWIW, you'd be better off calling the people about the Banff Film Festival instead of the "Bamff" Film Festival, especially since that they name of the festival and the name of a great town....where things in the festival take place.