cycling across america

jackbarnar

Feb 15, 2006
I am going to be cycling across america. Plan on being gone six months to a year. I need any info. please. Expense, camping, where to find work, and whatever else anyone has to offer. thanks,

jack

jackbarnar said:
I am going to be cycling across america. Plan on being gone six months to a year. I need any info. please. Expense, camping, where to find work, and whatever else anyone has to offer. thanks,

jack
Hey Jack, you might get a better response if you provide a little more detail. America's a big place and information can vary from state to state (or province, in my case). Can you give us a rough route you'll be following?

This is jack again. I will be starting in the florida keys, and heading towards california, along the coast. After that probably make my north along the border of the states, then who knows from there.
Thks. jack

UOTE=blackbird05]Hey Jack, you might get a better response if you provide a little more detail. America's a big place and information can vary from state to state (or province, in my case). Can you give us a rough route you'll be following?[/QUOTE]

Hey Jack, sorry, can't help you with specifics there - the southern border of U.S.of A is far removed from Ontario. Good luck with your information search though, and if you like, I can point you in the right direction:
Other than the posts on this discussion forum (they're priceless, the people here really know what they're talking about), do an internet search on cycletouring North America. There are a few good travel journals out there once you do some digging, and their authors are more often than not, willing to give you info if you e-mail them for help.
Best of luck with your planning, and enjoy your trip! I envy you the opportunity...

There's a lot of stuff out there on the internet. Here's one that has some interesting journals and articles.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

Some advice that comes to mind...

- While on the subject of journals...keep one. One perk of taking a long tour is the memories you create along the way. It's amazing after 10 years (speaking from experience) how much you will forget. Don't just write about the pain and suffering...Even so-called professional writers and publishers get caught up in the agony, the miles covered, and strict timetables (I don't remember the book I'm specifically refering to, but it was an agonizing read to say the least!). The reward is not the test of endurance, but the true sense of freedom that comes with being on the road, and the many people you will come into contact with along the way. Like the crazy girl at the laundromat who took an interest in your trip. At the end of the day, when you record her exact words ("What happened to your leg!!! Did you crash today???) you'll later be able to reflect back on the chance meeting and smile. My journal was a series of bulletized notes for each day. When I returned home, the notes jogged my memory and I put it all down in greater detail.

- While on the subject of people...the people you meet will renew your faith in the human race. That's not to say you should have high expectations that every person you meet will invite you to camp in their yard or use the barn to bed down for the night, but they will inevitably surprise you and the encounters will be the major highlight of your trip. Too bad in normal life this fact tends to escape the average American, ...and it seems to be getting worse.

- Enjoy the ride. Take time to explore museums and the "touristy" things along the way. Take sundays off (it's probably in your genes anyway). Take as many side tours as possible, and zigzag your route somewhat to take in historical towns. Avoid at all cost the highly trafficked routes that represent a straight line. They are only good for making time and endangering your life more than you had originally intended. For example, when you reach my neck of the woods, there are a couple of interesting rail trails, both paved: the Longleaf Trace from Hattiesburg to Prentiss (more to the north of the southern tier route), and the Tammany Trace from Slidell to Abita Springs (be sure to visit the Abita Brewery, right on the trail). http://www.traillink.com/

That's all I have time for now...
icon4.gif