Cycling across Asia to Europe

G

Hello!
I plan to cross Asian continent from Japan to Eastern Europe(Poland) through Pakistan and Iran next year or 2004 (as early as possible). I am looking for anybody with a similar plan. It would be more pleasant to do if not the whole trip at least part of it with company. I there is anybody interested in going all the way form Pacific to Europe please contact me at [email protected] or if you currently are in Japan, give me a shout at 090 5674 9902.
Regards,
Bart Z.

Pakistan? Iraq? :eek: Have you been watching the news lately? :eek:
One thing is for sure, it's one hellava base ride! ;D

Good luck with your trip!

Saw a doco on tv a while ago about 2 blokes who where cycling across mongolia/China on recumbants. 1 bloke lose a few toes or fingers from the frost bite in mongolia.

They went into china though they had to sneek around as in china foreiners cannot ride/drive vehicles not aproved by the government. one drunk chinese wanted money or he would dob them in, which he did and the cops chased em they got away. it was a interesting doco.

i would watch where i was going personaly. ;) though id probably worry about cycling in South africa too. (from what iv heard) dont bombard me with abuse please ;)

Hmm, let me get this right GG, you get to **** us off and then ask us not to bombard you with abuse?

Oh, wait a second, I'm also afraid of cycling around this Country.... Ahh well, at least its colourful.

There was this group that cycled through Africa down to the Earth Summit. 3 or so from Holland (or somewhere similar), one guy had never been on a proper ride before. Pretty manic in my mind. I wonder if they'll stay and use it as base training for a couple of our races.

Instead of bringing peace to the world (it's suppose tp be a peace keeping nation) they bring war. The world is beautiful. We should be able to travel across the globe without worrying about things like danger of war etc. There must be someone in this world who can clearly explain this concept to G. Bush "the peacekeeper".

There was an article about cycling in "dangerous places" on the Internet a while back but I've forgotten the link. The general gist of it seemed to be "keep your eyes and ears open AND YOUR MOUTH SHUT". It was written by a guy who had actually ridden through the middle east, so I'd say he knew what he was talking about.

A sign of the times I'm afraid.

I am fortunate enough to be doing a Charity Cycling Relay which is doubling up as a 7 day training camp with the M-Soft Pro team in just over a week's time. 7 days at 100 - 160kms a day. Should be real fun. (Riiiiiggght)

i'm currently based in manila and i've ridden in hong kong, malaysia, singapore, and indonesia. nice and scenic places, specially the backroads. but the "eyes and ears open and mouth shut" DEFINITELY applies. with the exception of singapore, riding a bike can be a death wish around asia. and oh yeah, keep your bike grungy-looking.

Read a good book a while back called "Off the Map". It was about crossing Asia through Russia by bike. It had some good info you could probably use and was a fun read.

Tim

Originally posted by Guest
Hello!
I plan to cross Asian continent from Japan to Eastern Europe(Poland) through Pakistan and Iran next year or 2004 (as early as possible). I am looking for anybody with a similar plan. It would be more pleasant to do if not the whole trip at least part of it with company. I there is anybody interested in going all the way form Pacific to Europe please contact me at [email protected] or if you currently are in Japan, give me a shout at 090 5674 9902.
Regards,
Bart Z.

Hi
It is really worth having a look at this site (non Commercial)
Uk to Australia by Cycle
I picked up some good ideas and the info and photography here is stunning

regards chris wilcox