Cycling after spine surgery

PJ Ruddy

Mar 16, 2004
Has anyone had anterior cervical diskectomy with fusion? If so how did your recovery go and how did your riding/training go?
What kind of training did you do?

Originally posted by PJ Ruddy
Has anyone had anterior cervical diskectomy with fusion? If so how did your recovery go and how did your riding/training go?

how about a recumbent trike to start with ?

Originally posted by PJ Ruddy

Hi PJ, I had a Laminectomy and two level spinl fusion just over two years ago, prior to surgery thinking that I would not ride again, I sold all my cycling gear, used to have a Cannondale with shimano 600 running gear.
I've put on some weight since then, and have decided to start riding again, ordered a new bike today (Giant OCR2), I have no intention of getting too serious, but will try and get in about two hundred Km's in aweek, if you are interested I will let you know how I go down the track.

Regards Shane

Hey Shane,

Thanks for the reply and sorry it took so long for me to reply. On 2-2-04 I had a two level ACDw/Fusion and so far things are going fairly well. I have been on the trainer since week 4 post-op. On May 1st I hope to be back on the road and hopefully by then the New England roads will be free of dirt from the winter. I also thought that cycling would be something that I used to do wich was very depressing. The OCR2 is a nice bike with a more relaxed geometry (easier for the neck & back). I have a Giant TCR2 and had to make some adjustments to the stem & bar which seem to help. Keep me posted as to how your return to the bike goes and i'll do the same. Good Luck

The OCR2 is a nice bike with a more relaxed geometry (easier for the neck & back). I have a Giant TCR2 and had to make some adjustments to the stem & bar which seem to help. Keep me posted as to how your return to the bike goes and i'll do the same. Good Luck [/B][/QUOTE]

PJ you are correct about the OCR2 being a nice bike with a good geometry (easier for the neck & back). The only problem I'm having is with the seat, but that will get better quick enough. I can only do about 30 to 40 mins on the bike at the moment, but with in a couple of weeks will extend that to 1.5 hours (50kms is my aim), anyway take care.

Regards Shane

i had spinal fusion 10 years ago have titanium pins and rods .the more i ride the better it feels ,I even race mt bikes sometimes .I have a Klein palomino mt bike

Originally posted by smittycsi
i had spinal fusion 10 years ago have titanium pins and rods .the more i ride the better it feels ,I even race mt bikes sometimes .I have a Klein palomino mt bike

Had the same here, 2 titanium rods, 6 scews and caps, I seem to have less back problems when training then when I'm off the bike, I sold my Cannondale a few years ago thinking that after the back operation I'd never be able to ride again. Back on the bike now and dioing 50kms rides, without any back complaints, started riding on the 23 Mar 04, and now back problems as yet.

Take Care
Gular

smittycsi said:
Hi, I have had C5 decompression and disc replacement. The new disc is causing problems and it looks like I will need a fusion. Can you tell me where in your spine was fused? How is it these days and is there no problem riding your MTB at all? Thanks - Ade.

I had a c6-7 fusion in April of 2007. By summers end I was back on the bike but affraid to push myself too much. I am getting ready to get out this year as soon as the weather warms. Looking forward to it.