Cycling and Abs

less'go

Sep 11, 2003
Are there any particular techniques that can help me get more upper-body excercise while cycling, especially for my abs? Or are abs just a whole other domain in terms of working out?

I have noticed that when my legs get tired of pushing, like when climbing, I can focus on my abs and tell myself to let the pedal-pushing come from there, and I do feel like I access a whole other level of strength.

But would there be any specific movements or postures I can take while cycling to target upper body muscles groups? I do other excercises specifically for this (crucnches, etc.) but would still like to know what I can do while on my bike.

Thanks,
Sara

You get a bit more of an upper body workout standing up esp when climbing. Overall, cycling is not really ideal to increase the "fitness" of your abdominal muscles. It is however very good at burning fat if you are doing prolonged rides so your abs may look better.
Remember that exercising a certain muscle group does not make you lose fat in that area.

Thanks for your reply, Patch... I think that the small number of replies to this post versus the large number of views (1 reply for 138 views) is pretty much an answer in itself... We'd all like cycling to do something directly for our abs, but that's just not something biking does for you... except, as you mentioned, in an aerobic/lose extra fat kind of way.

Oh well... I did speake to a friend who is a physical therapist, and she suggested that we can excercise any muscle group in our bodies by simly thinking about the muscle and tensing it up at intervals, which can translate to tensing up, for example, one side of your obliques as you pedal... I've tried it and it works, but you have to be in a calm riding situation to be able to focus on that kind of stuff... rush hour in the bus lane is not the best time for that! ;)

SAra

Originally posted by patch70
You get a bit more of an upper body workout standing up esp when climbing. Overall, cycling is not really ideal to increase the "fitness" of your abdominal muscles. It is however very good at burning fat if you are doing prolonged rides so your abs may look better.
Remember that exercising a certain muscle group does not make you lose fat in that area.

i know another way to work out your abs. This is a really wonderfull exersise i use.

1. Lay on the ground and look strait up in the air, not at your legs
2. slowly start turning your legs in the air, in a motion such as u were peddling.
3. as u go on, sart going faster
4. at the end, slow down, like the geginning

Hmmm, I dont think there is a special technique for abs on the bike besides pulling pedals. I'd suggest to do some crunches, and abs just after you get off of the bike, you'll work it out but as patch70 said, not necesarily burn fat in that area.

You need to do ab exercises to build your muscles then cardio to burn the fat so you can see the muscles.You have to have a good diet too.You're not going to get a six pack from cycling.
I ran this year and I've got some abs showing.Not a six pack but at least something is there.

Originally posted by less'go
Are there any particular techniques that can help me get more upper-body excercise while cycling, especially for my abs? Or are abs just a whole other domain in terms of working out?

I have noticed that when my legs get tired of pushing, like when climbing, I can focus on my abs and tell myself to let the pedal-pushing come from there, and I do feel like I access a whole other level of strength.

But would there be any specific movements or postures I can take while cycling to target upper body muscles groups? I do other excercises specifically for this (crucnches, etc.) but would still like to know what I can do while on my bike.

Thanks,
Sara

reminds me of a quote - "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym"

Basically if you want your abs to show you need to lower your body fat ratio to 10% and below. Sometimes further down to get the lower abs showing.

If it's core strength ie - functional abs then that's another thing altogether.

Originally posted by thebow
reminds me of a quote - "Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym"

Basically if you want your abs to show you need to lower your body fat ratio to 10% and below. Sometimes further down to get the lower abs showing.

If it's core strength ie - functional abs then that's another thing altogether.

Wow, I think you have hit the nail on its proverbial head. I can feel the abs and they're pretty strong, but I can't even imagine getting to or below 10% body fat. I wouldn't have any boobs left! I mean a girl should have a few curves, right?

So I guess maybe I could focus on what you call "functional abs". By that do you mean just building up the muscles and working on core strength without worrying about the exterior aspect (which is more about vanity than strength, perhaps)?

Care to expand on this idea?

Cheers,
Sara

(edited for poor vocabulary use!)

Wow, I think you have hit the nail on its proverbial head. I can feel the abs and they're pretty strong, but I can't even imagine getting to or below 10% body fat. I wouldn't have any boobs left! I mean a girl should have a few curves, right?

So I guess maybe I could focus on what you call "functional abs". By that do you mean just building up the muscles and working on core strength without worrying about the exterior aspect (which is more about vanity than strength, perhaps)?

Cheers,
Sara

Not only would you lose your curves but it might also be dangerous for your health (read up on essential and sex specific body fat in men and women).

Cheers,
Sara

I think woman look really nice with a two-pack (vertical line down the middle without the horizontal lines). It's easier to achieve and maintain and you still get to keep your curves. 2Lap is correct. Woman cannot safely achieve as low a body fat level as men.

Matt

Originally posted by mfallon
I think woman look really nice with a two-pack (vertical line down the middle without the horizontal lines). It's easier to achieve and maintain and you still get to keep your curves. 2Lap is correct. Woman cannot safely achieve as low a body fat level as men.

Well, the fat distribution in men and women is different. Since men tend to put it over their abdomens, it's actually easier for a woman to get defined abs. For a guy they may not show until he's 8% but for a woman it could be 12%.

If you look at collegiate female runners, a lot of them have nice abs though I'm sure their male counterparts are leaner overall. Some of the women still have reasonably size breasts and more than make up for it by having an athletic body.

Originally posted by 2LAP
Not only would you lose your curves but it might also be dangerous for your health (read up on essential and sex specific body fat in men and women).

Apologies to all the ladies out there... I meant 10% for men and yes significantly higher for women. 12-15% would be very lean and defined at that %bf.

Don't really want to encourage the current sterotype with stick thin and wasted women out there.