Cycling and Blue Jeans don't mix

AdamSean

Aug 11, 2011
Ok, guys. I have encountered a problem as I have become a true cyclist. I have begun to develop the cyclist's body build. I love it. I have strong powerful legs and a firm backside. But I have the hardest time trying to find a pair of blue jeans that fit right. I am a 34 inch waist, but when I put on the 34 size jeans, they are super tight around the hips and thighs. If I buy the 36 inch, they fit around the legs, but are really loose on my waist. This is a frustrating conundrum. Anybody else have this problem? Has anyone found a brand of jeans that fit a "cyclist" build?

Reactions: haleylx4
Originally Posted by AdamSean .

Ok, guys. I have encountered a problem as I have become a true cyclist. I have begun to develop the cyclist's body build. I love it. I have strong powerful legs and a firm backside. But I have the hardest time trying to find a pair of blue jeans that fit right. I am a 34 inch waist, but when I put on the 34 size jeans, they are super tight around the hips and thighs. If I buy the 36 inch, they fit around the legs, but are really loose on my waist. This is a frustrating conundrum. Anybody else have this problem? Has anyone found a brand of jeans that fit a "cyclist" build?
Not sure if it's a "cyclist" build but I have similar problems, not so much with jeans, moreso with fitted dress slacks. My quads and glutes almost counted me out of a nice Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit, if not for some expert tailoring on the lower half. I recently tried on a pait of "skinny" jeans just for a laugh - I could barely get them over my hips.

My advice, find yourself a good tailor. While the often touted "Expert tailoring done on premises" at your local dry cleaner may cover your needs, an actual men's tailor is probably a better bet. The downside, expect your 80 dollar jeans to end up costing 110.

Depending on the brand and sourcing there are differences in the gender of the jeans. Mens and Womens jeans effectively have crossover styles that are hard to distinguish from eachother but have different waist-to-hip ratios. For what you describe it may be a case of that, since most mens styles are very beanpole straight in the waist.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Not sure if it's a "cyclist" build but I have similar problems, not so much with jeans, moreso with fitted dress slacks. My quads and glutes almost counted me out of a nice Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit, if not for some expert tailoring on the lower half. I recently tried on a pait of "skinny" jeans just for a laugh - I could barely get them over my hips.

My advice, find yourself a good tailor. While the often touted "Expert tailoring done on premises" at your local dry cleaner may cover your needs, an actual men's tailor is probably a better bet. The downside, expect your 80 dollar jeans to end up costing 110.
Uh, yeah, I have a fit if I have to more than $20 for my jeans. All my money goes in to my bikes...lol.

Yeah Levi's and Lee's are good. You got to switch it up when the body changes. The hamstrings are my favorite aspect of riding a bike. You can see it the muscle comes out.

Over the years I've learnt to never ride with a pair of jeans.

Unless of course you want a lovely split around the crotch area!

I absolutely hate riding with jeans. I did attempt it a couple of time with various jean brands, but it's always been an uncomfortable ride. I've had an easier experience wearing a pair of chinos, which had a fairly tight fit. Perhaps, if you find a pair of cotton jeans with elasticity, I know these were popular a few years ago. I think these would work out better.

Just buy a 36 you like and have a tailor take it in one inch or maybe a half inch and you will be good go. I have been between sizes before and it is frustrating.

lol! Whenever I go on short rides with my kids I always wear jeans because they allow me to carry a lot of stuff in my pockets... :)

I don't know about that. I guess I still do not have that body. I played football when I was younger and did some karate too so my body balanced, more or less. I have to say that went from 76 do 68 kilos and I can wear some old jeans I threw away. I do not like this but I will get back on the track and go over 70 kg. I never encountered this problem and I guess it is not about you cycling but more about your genetics and natural shape of your body.

I don't know what people mean by "having the body", maybe how they look in the jeans? Honestly, I could look like a freak and not care providing it is comfortable and practical. Jeans aren't 100% ideal for cycling, but that is because I'm at a weird in between size right now for pants. Active wear is more comfortable for me than jeans right now because they are either to big or too small for the time being. I'm that fat guy in sweat pants, but only because this fat guy in sweats has pedaled some of his ass off almost literally. I'm sure if I get back at it, after this leg and back injury that has had me in the hospital sorts out that I'll lose enough to find a more comfortable fit in jeans.

Pretty much, the most important is that we feel comfortable, so the jeans are a plus in order to carry the stuff in my pockets.

Pretty much, the most important is that we feel comfortable, so the jeans are a plus in order to carry the stuff in my pockets.
I agree when I was a kid I always used jeans to ride and it never bothered me. Even know if I want to go some where and don't want to go by car I will ride my bike there wearing jeans.