Cycling and carpal tunnel

JT71

Mar 10, 2014
Hi everyone

I've just found this site and joined, great forum.

So, I had surgery on my wrists nearly three years ago, carpal tunnel gone. Great. However, I get numb hands after about 20-30mins cycling.

I've put bar ends on and bought the recommended carpal tunnel grips.

I have a Specialized Rockhopper. It's my first 'proper' bike and I've had it for about a year. Currently with road tyres and an experienced friend of mine suggested this bike rather than a road bike which I'll have to work up to.

So. I'm wondering about aerobars. Yes, I know they'll probably look a bit daft on my bike, but it'd be worth it to give me another hand/arm position. Or, drop bars?

My bike has all been setup correctly at a local Specialized store, so it's not my seat position. I've also tried padded gloves which make no difference. I'm trying very hard to be conscious of not bending my wrists down when cycling, but, it's just extremely hard. I suppose that's just lack of experience. At present, I have to drop one arm vertically downwards to bring back feeling, then swap. I don't have brilliant balance cycling one handed and end up sitting up straight during these 'recovery' periods for my wrists, plus having to slow down considerably.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions please. I've read that aerobars will take a lot of getting used to, but I use a bike trainer so I have the opportunity to do so in a static position although clearly a bike trainer doesn't emulate the on road steering. I also realise that aerobars are only really meant for straights. I wouldn't mind having to change position frequently to change gears.

Thanks most humbly in advance, I have seen there are some very experienced people on this site, I hope you can help. I've tried to preempt any questions.

Cheers

If it works and looks stupid...it ain't stupid.

By all means, give the aero bar extensions a try if you have a few bucks to spend and some time to experiment with dialing in their location on the bike and your position. You've got little to lose and numbness-free cycling to gain.

Still, despite the fact that your bike has been set up by a local bike shop, I would at least try adjusting your position on your current bars a bit and try another pair of gloves or two. A slightly shorter stem? More rise to the stem? A thicker grip? A wrist brace? A more relaxed grip on the bars? Varying your hand position more frequently?

Lastly, have you borrowed a road bike with drop bars to see how your wrists/hands do on that sort of setup?

Thanks CB

I could indeed have a try on my friend's road bike, good idea. That's worth trying before spending money. Also, with a shorter stem, I don't get the correct leg extension and any taller would be too far. I don't grip the bars, but I do find myself pushing down on my wrists even when my fingers are lose, I annoy myself when I do this but by then it's too late. Something for me to work on. Perhaps I should try an entire session just using the end bars although it will mean frequently changing positions to change gear. As you said, I already do change position frequently although perhaps I'm not doing it early enough. Other gloves are a consideration, my current are rather worn. I'll see what other padded gloves I can find. As for wrist braces, I have some weight lifting wraps, I'll give that a go too.

As for the aerobar comment, absolutely agree. I'm not cycling to look cool, I'll use whatever equipment I need to make sure I can cycle comfortably.

Thanks again for all of your comments. Much appreciated.

One last point: Check your saddle to make certain it is level or at least positioned so that you are not sliding forward on it and adding pressure to your hands and wrists.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
One last point: Check your saddle to make certain it is level or at least positioned so that you are not sliding forward on it and adding pressure to your hands and wrists.
And try sliding it back a centimeter or two to get some weight off your hands.