cycling and diabetes

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Tom Weaver, May 31, 2003.

  1. Tom Weaver

    Tom Weaver Guest

    Greetings all.

    I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic using diet and exercise and no medication to control the
    diabetes. In July I am planning to do the RAGBRAI and was wondering if other readers of the n.g.
    have any advice as to food on distance rides.

    My plan is to eat a lot of fruit and nutrition bars while riding and eating a good evening meal each
    night. A good pancake breakfast (no syrup, dammit) should start the day off well.

    Does this sound reasonable?

    Are there any good gatorade-like drinks that would be good for me (i.e. low in sugar)?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks, Tom Weaver

    Tags:

  2. Papayahed1

    Papayahed1 Guest

    >Tom Weaver at [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic using diet and exercise and no medication to control the
    >diabetes.

    You one lucky boy at this point! I've been insulin dependent for 24 years and have always used
    exercise to atone for my eating indiscretions.

    >My plan is to eat a lot of fruit and nutrition bars while riding and eating a good evening meal
    >each night. A good pancake breakfast (no syrup, dammit) should start the day off well.
    >
    >Does this sound reasonable?

    reasonably so. If you have never done a long-distance ride before as a diabetic, you might want to
    test your blood sugar more frequently than usual and see how your body is reacting. You might find
    that you really don't have to worry very much at all.

    Also, bear in mind if you have delayed insulin uptake, you might crash and burn after your ride, not
    during it. Did you find yourself having hypoglycemic reactions before you were diagnosed diabetic?

    >Are there any good gatorade-like drinks that would be good for me (i.e. low in sugar)?

    Just water them down. They work better that way anyway.

    And if your sugar goes a little bit wacky, it won't kill you. Just be reasonable about it. Have fun!

    Michael

  3. "Tom Weaver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic using diet and exercise and no medication to control the
    > diabetes. In July I am planning to do the RAGBRAI and was wondering if other readers of the n.g.
    > have any advice as to food on distance rides.
    >
    > My plan is to eat a lot of fruit and nutrition bars while riding and eating a good evening meal
    > each night. A good pancake breakfast (no syrup, dammit) should start the day off well.
    >
    > Does this sound reasonable?
    >
    > Are there any good gatorade-like drinks that would be good for me (i.e. low in sugar)?

    I don't know about diabetes, but I'm under the impression that many of the sport drinks (certainly
    Gatorade) have simple sugars that wouldn't be appropriate. There is a product which I'm pretty sure
    does not contain simple sugars. It's called Sustained Energy. It, along with the company that makes
    it, are well regarded in the ultra-cycling crowd. I think if you contact them, they would be helpful
    in assisting you to determine the appropriateness of their product for your situation.
    http://www.hammernutrition.com

  4. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Tom Weaver <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Greetings all.
    >
    > I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic using diet and exercise and no medication to control the
    > diabetes. In July I am planning to do the RAGBRAI and was wondering if other readers of the n.g.
    > have any advice as to food on distance rides.
    >
    > My plan is to eat a lot of fruit and nutrition bars while riding and eating a good evening meal
    > each night. A good pancake breakfast (no syrup, dammit) should start the day off well.
    >
    > Does this sound reasonable?
    >
    > Are there any good gatorade-like drinks that would be good for me (i.e. low in sugar)?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Tom Weaver

    I am type 2 also, and ride a lot. Read the labels for sugar content and avoid anything with high
    sugar content, obviously.

    I think GU has a 2mg sugar content per packet - works for me anyway.

    Take a look at http:/www.splenda.com for syrup and drinks w/o sugar.

    Have fun at RAGBRAI!

    We'll have fun here If we ever get to see the sun here.

    --
    "Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

  5. Burr

    Burr Guest

    Morning Tom, I'll answer your post in parts:

    I'm a type II diabetic also and have been for over 5 years.

    Tom Weaver wrote:
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic using diet and exercise and no medication to control the
    > diabetes.

    Have you been to school yet to learn what you can and can't eat? sounds like you haven't
    yet. That's "very" important!

    > My plan is to eat a lot of fruit and nutrition bars while riding and eating a good evening meal
    > each night. A good pancake breakfast (no syrup, dammit) should start the day off well.

    Fruit is very bad for you, nutrition bars are very bad for you and "pancakes"???? ,maybe one
    with sugar free syrup.

    > Does this sound reasonable? NO
    >
    > Are there any good gatorade-like drinks that would be good for me (i.e. low in sugar)?

    NO, Water, water and more water.

    Don't let your count get above 120 in the morning so you must think as a diabetic every
    second of your life now and every think you eat must be considered. I ride a few 100 miles
    every week and it is great and sure helps my count. I also lift and do Yoga. Take the ride
    but take the course at your local hospital ASAP.

    And don't pay a lot of attention to what your friends say unless they are diabetic and in
    good share. Diabetes is the number five killer in the would, aids is number six!!!

    I hope to do the PCH from SF to LA the end of the month, I'm 61.

    Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts

  6. Tom Weaver

    Tom Weaver Guest

    Burr wrote:
    > Morning Tom, I'll answer your post in parts:
    >
    > I'm a type II diabetic also and have been for over 5 years.
    >
    > Tom Weaver wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings all.
    >>
    >> I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic using diet and exercise and no medication to control
    >> the diabetes.
    >

    > Have you been to school yet to learn what you can and can't eat? sounds like you haven't yet.
    > That's "very" important!

    Burr,

    I met with a nurse practitioner/dietician the first day I was diagnosed. Since then (mid-november) I
    have brought my sugar down for over 400 to under 100 (normal morning reading). All readings from the
    last set of tests was in the normal range for a non-diabetic.

    I've also lost over 50 pounds.

    The nurse practitioner has released me from regular visits with her. It is now to the point where I
    do a fasting test every 6 months.

    I have the what to eat down pretty well, I do believe. My concern is what to eat on an extended
    ride like RAGBRAI. I don't want to go real low and bonk like I did the last couple times. Of course
    on one of those days the temp was over 95 and there was no shade. Another was the 115 mile day.
    Bonked very big time on that one. Luckily a fellow team rider came along and escorted me the last
    couple miles.

    >> My plan is to eat a lot of fruit and nutrition bars while riding and eating a good evening meal
    >> each night. A good pancake breakfast (no syrup, dammit) should start the day off well.

    Actually a couple pancakes with sugar free syrup is a pretty good breakfast. Add some sausage and it
    gets real good. As long as the pancakes are a reasonable size and not "cover the plate" big like
    some in Iowa.

    > Fruit is very bad for you, nutrition bars are very bad for you and "pancakes"???? ,maybe one
    > with sugar free syrup.

    I've looked at some of the nutrition bars and not all of them have tons of sugar - most do but not
    all. They are convenient to carry and better for me than the home-made cherry pies available in most
    towns along the route. It's hard to pass those up - especially when they drop a nice scoop of ice
    cream on top.

    >> Does this sound reasonable? NO
    >>
    >> Are there any good gatorade-like drinks that would be good for me
    >> (i.e. low in sugar)?
    >

    > NO, Water, water and more water.
    >
    > Don't let your count get above 120 in the morning so you must think as a diabetic every second
    > of your life now and every think you eat must be considered. I ride a few 100 miles every week
    > and it is great and sure helps my count. I also lift and do Yoga. Take the ride but take the
    > course at your local hospital ASAP.
    >
    > And don't pay a lot of attention to what your friends say unless they are diabetic and in good
    > share. Diabetes is the number five killer in the would, aids is number six!!!
    >
    > I hope to do the PCH from SF to LA the end of the month, I'm 61.
    >
    > Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts

  7. Burr

    Burr Guest

    Sounds like your doing real well, keep after it. Your doing better then me.

    Burr

  8. Gandall

    Gandall Guest

    If you could take a glucometer along with you, you would find it invaluable.

    It takes the guess work out of the hypo/hyperglucose question.

    I find, that I can add to my to diet, esp breakfast. I would ride 15-20 miles before breakfast.

    So, enjoy the pancake syrup.

    I found that gatorade is not a good thing for diabetics, cut with water by at least half
    if not more.

    Remember that the water demand on this ride is very high, I use a hydro pack system.

    For the event of an hypoglycemic event, I carry straight Coke-cola. I have had to use this once.

    I have learned not to count on the food stops, this happened on a centuary ride.

    Please note the importance to protect your skin form the sun and take extra socks each day, along
    with something for blisters.

    Enjoy the ride.

    gandalf

    "Tom Weaver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic using diet and exercise and no medication to control the
    > diabetes. In July I am planning to do the RAGBRAI and was wondering if other readers of the n.g.
    > have any advice as to food on distance rides.
    >
    > My plan is to eat a lot of fruit and nutrition bars while riding and eating a good evening meal
    > each night. A good pancake breakfast (no syrup, dammit) should start the day off well.
    >
    > Does this sound reasonable?
    >
    > Are there any good gatorade-like drinks that would be good for me (i.e. low in sugar)?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Tom Weaver

  9. Papayahed1

    Papayahed1 Guest

    >For the event of an hypoglycemic event, I carry straight Coke-cola. I have had to use this once.

    I use a product called "Dex" glucose tablets. They come in a little plastic cylinder and look like
    thick necco wafers. They will last a long long time in your bike saddlebag.

    Because they are glucose and not sucrose, they get into the blood stream quickly and replenish your
    mid double-digit glucose values significantly quicker than sucrose products.

    Plus they just don't seem like "candy" to me so there is little worry of rejuvenating my oh-so-pesky
    sweet tooth.

    Michael

    >Subject: Re: cycling and diabetes From: "gandall" [email protected] Date: 6/3/03 4:24 PM Eastern
    >Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >If you could take a glucometer along with you, you would find it invaluable.
    >
    >It takes the guess work out of the hypo/hyperglucose question.
    >
    >I find, that I can add to my to diet, esp breakfast. I would ride 15-20 miles before breakfast.
    >
    >So, enjoy the pancake syrup.
    >
    >I found that gatorade is not a good thing for diabetics, cut with water by at least half if
    >not more.
    >
    >Remember that the water demand on this ride is very high, I use a hydro pack system.
    >
    >For the event of an hypoglycemic event, I carry straight Coke-cola. I have had to use this once.
    >
    >I have learned not to count on the food stops, this happened on a centuary ride.
    >
    >Please note the importance to protect your skin form the sun and take extra socks each day, along
    >with something for blisters.
    >
    >Enjoy the ride.
    >
    >gandalf
    >

    >"Tom Weaver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Greetings all.
    >>
    >> I am a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic using diet and exercise and no medication to control
    >> the diabetes. In July I am planning to do the RAGBRAI and was wondering if other readers of the
    >> n.g. have any advice as to food on distance rides.
    >>
    >> My plan is to eat a lot of fruit and nutrition bars while riding and eating a good evening meal
    >> each night. A good pancake breakfast (no syrup, dammit) should start the day off well.
    >>
    >> Does this sound reasonable?
    >>
    >> Are there any good gatorade-like drinks that would be good for me (i.e. low in sugar)?
    >>
    >> Any advice would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Tom Weaver

  10. Ellen G

    Ellen G Guest

    Tom, come on over to alt.support.diabetes and ask your question there. Lots of knowledgable people
    living with and without diabetes will be happy to help you out. Ellen