Cycling And Disc Prolapse

aziraphale77

Mar 22, 2015
Note this article is in no way suggesting the activity it describes is beneficial or good. I am fully aware this could lead to long term - permanent damage and do not condone it. Please consult your doctor or physio before getting on your bike in a similar situation. This is simply my own experience.

One year ago, I have suffered a major disc prolapse. I was unable to move my legs for 3 weeks, then only very slowly able to walk again. The recovery to be physically able to walk again as usual took 6 months.

I decided to decline an operation for as long as I could walk and opted for physio treatment, but in the last 6 months this had no noticeable benefit for me. I still had major back pain and occasionally cannot feel my feet or have sudden bouts of pain in them due to the affected nerves in my back.

All throughout my childhood, I used to cycle and despite my physio advising against it, I decided to start cycling again. I was fearful, getting a bike may be a bad investment, short lived until I'd have to sell the bike after a few weeks. But I was not prepared for what happened.

Against the advice of other cycling friends I bought a road bike with a pretty aggressive low riding position a slightly shorter cross bar than would be usual for my size and a high saddle position. - After all moving weight from my spine to my arms seemed sensible.

I had not stepped on a bike for 7 years. The first ride with this bike was 6 km, I felt absolutely ecstatic afterwards. The second ride was 40 km, thereafter I commuted 40 km 4 days a week. After a month and 600 km, I started joining a cycling group increasing my total in the second month to just under 1000 km. My target for June and each month until the autumn is between 1000 and 1400 km.

What 12 months of physio have not achieved was done by cycling in less that 10 weeks. I only feel my back pain on days I don't cycle - and thes much less so than before. I wake up and don't have any pain. I used to wake up with sudden spikes of pain in my feet once or twice a week. This has not occurred for over 6 weeks.

Has anyone else had similar experiences after a disc prolapse or has suffered one/worsened one through cycling?

I never did outdoor cycling, but I have sciatic nerve problem and have a degenerative disk disease, not exactly a disc prolapse. My physician asked me to reduce weight and consume a nutritious diet. I do all activities normally and lead a normal life. I do brisk walk and watch my calorie intake.

However, disc prolapse is a serious problem. It may relapse. You may undergo physiotherapy and practice core muscle strengthening exercises. You may temporarily suspend your biking and take your orthopaedic surgeon's exercise.