Cycling and Happiness

jacksonvhughes

Dec 26, 2014
I think it probably goes without saying for most people on this forum that there is an undeniable connection between cycling and happiness. I'm investigating this connection as an undergraduate project in psychology, and I'm interested to hear what you have to say about it. How do you feel cycling has impacted your life? What role has it played in shaping the person you are today?
I created this thread as an opportunity for folks to share their experiences of the positive psychological benefits of cycling. Please do share--I'm interested in anything and everything you have to say. If you're interested and have 5-10 minutes to spare, I would appreciate if you filled out my questionnaire:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JVFFQ9B. While your responses will not be published, they will provide a foundation for further research in this little-studied topic.
Feel free to contact me with questions, suggestions, etc.
Cheers,
Jackson Hughes ([email protected])
Psychology Student
New College of Florida '16

I will fill out the survey if it's still available. Sorry for the late response. Cycling does indeed make me feel more happy during the day, and I do feel like it gives me more energy overall in my life, even though some of those longer bike rides can feel like death. I don't know anyone that cycles and feels bad after it, unless they're tired or injured. :huh:

The survey is currently closed. But anyway, recreational cycling is one of my favorite ways to de-stress. I love the feel of the air on my face and the sweat on my forehead. The former makes me peaceful and the latter informs me that I am doing a great job of exercising. I also feel more positive after a cycling trip, that's why I made it my hobby back in high school. Moreover, what I love the most about cycling is that it gives me a good night sleep after a few hours of exercise.

Huh, I was late for the survey. But anyway, riding for me is happiness because of several reasons. My primary objective in riding on the bike is the physical exertion that would help me tone my muscles and, of course, lose some pounds. But going along, I find the sights enjoyable not because of the panorama but because I am moving by myself. I could feel a certain power coming out of my body, maybe the pumping of the pedal or the movement of the handle bars. I would say that riding gives me 40% physical and 60% mental and emotional benefits.

I've been cycling from an early age, and for me it cycling and happiness go hand in hand on a number of levels.

Not only when I ride does it remind me of bike holidays with my father growing up, it's also a way for me to get away from everything and I use it to relieve any stress in my life I might be experiencing.

I'm always a lot happier after a bike ride, so that says it all for me.

Cycling boosts my mood the same way any workout does, and it helps clear my head as well, so I would say it definitely affects my happiness. I deal with depression, which can make it really easy to hide away and stay sedentary, so getting out in the world and spending the day in nature makes a huge difference to my overall frame of mind.

Oh huh. This looks like an interesting survey. Will any of the overarching findings from your questionnaire be shared once you've finished getting your participants? (I'm going to take it by the way)

I believe I am a bit late for the survey, but If I had seen it on time, I would have filled it out.
Nevertheless, I love cycling, and for me it has always be a thing that I associated with happiness. Especially if I cycle in the countryside, away from the city rush, pedestrians and cars.
I love the way my adrenaline reaches its peak if I cycle faster, and I love to fill the wind in my hair and on my face. Not a cold wind, though.

I believe I am a bit late for the survey, but If I had seen it on time, I would have filled it out.
Nevertheless, I love cycling, and for me it has always be a thing that I associated with happiness. Especially if I cycle in the countryside, away from the city rush, pedestrians and cars.
I love the way my adrenaline reaches its peak if I cycle faster, and I love to fill the wind in my hair and on my face. Not a cold wind, though.

Your adrenaline surges when you cycle faster or maybe it's the other way around, you cycle faster when you get over excited. I also felt that way when I first joined a group of leisure riders that passed our village. I was coming out of the village gate when I saw the group so I joined without notice. After some kilometers, I felt a rush of my adrenaline and I was overtaking some of them. When I came home, I got muscles pains, hahahaaah.

Reactions: mayasupernova
Your adrenaline surges when you cycle faster or maybe it's the other way around, you cycle faster when you get over excited. I also felt that way when I first joined a group of leisure riders that passed our village. I was coming out of the village gate when I saw the group so I joined without notice. After some kilometers, I felt a rush of my adrenaline and I was overtaking some of them. When I came home, I got muscles pains, hahahaaah.
Actually, you make a lot of sense here. It might just be the other way round, I have not even thought of that.
And about muscle pain, please do not remind me haah I have been through that a lot. :s

Cycling has put back the discipline in me. I love having a routine each day, having to prepare for the ride and taking care of my bike which I could compare to like taking care of my pet. It is helpful in relieving my stress and it really gives me focus.

Cycling has put back the discipline in me. I love having a routine each day, having to prepare for the ride and taking care of my bike which I could compare to like taking care of my pet. It is helpful in relieving my stress and it really gives me focus.

It looks like you are taking your riding very seriously. And to think that you are treating your bike like a pet, I can relate to that because I am a pet lover. You remind me of my younger days when I had my first bike, I couldn't contain my excitement and I would be riding when it was still dark, my bike was already on the road even before the sun was up. Enjoy your hobby and hoping that you stay fit.

Well we all know that working out in general has its various and numerous health benefits, but riding certainly has those extra benefits, those externalities, that really take it over the top for me. The sights and the sounds and the smells and the weather all just make it that much better and they make you feel more alive. That is my opinion at least, and I hope others feel the same.

Well we all know that working out in general has its various and numerous health benefits, but riding certainly has those extra benefits, those externalities, that really take it over the top for me. The sights and the sounds and the smells and the weather all just make it that much better and they make you feel more alive. That is my opinion at least, and I hope others feel the same.

Ride by the local hog farm and get back with me about the smells.

Basically just being out and about in the fresh (and sometimes not do fresh) air is what it's all about.

I know you can go cycling at the gym or on a static bike at home, but while you might get the same amount of exercise, you definitely don't get the same experience.