Cycling and Lower Back Pain

Trevor Appleton

Guest
I have a 20 year history of lower back pain and have
recently hade a severe atack from which I am now recovering.

Does anyone have any similar experience, and can they say
whether cycling helps or is definitely a no no?

Any cycling doctors out there?

When my back is at its best, cycling occasionally seems to
make it ache.

BTW I probably only cycle about 20 miles a month.

Trevor Appleton typed:

> When my back is at its best, cycling occasionally seems to
> make it ache.
>
> BTW I probably only cycle about 20 miles a month.

I'd say your settings are all wrong .. or partially so
anyway.

ie the relationship between seat, handlebar and pedals is
critical to being able to ride comfortably, or suffer all
sorts of unpleasant long and short term consequences.

I'd suggest taking your bike, and yourself, to a local bike
shop who you're familiar with and getting them to check you
and the bike over for 'fit'.

Make single, small adjustments and try them out for a while
each time .. :)

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Trevor Appleton wrote:

> I have a 20 year history of lower back pain and have
> recently hade a severe atack from which I am now
> recovering.
>
> Does anyone have any similar experience, and can they say
> whether cycling helps or is definitely a no no?
>
> Any cycling doctors out there?
>
> When my back is at its best, cycling occasionally seems to
> make it ache.
>
> BTW I probably only cycle about 20 miles a month.

20 miles a month is not very much; hardly enough for your
body to get tuned to it. Dare I say it - have you tried a
recumbent? Perhaps the upright posture of a regular bike is
an aggravation?

I have a history of disc weakness in my lower back - leading
to prolapses and sciatic episodes, but it doesn't seem to be
affected by cycling in any way - good or bad. What I have
found has helped is resistance training to build core muscle
strength in the lower trunk - increased muscular strength
does seem to help take more of the load - easing pressure on
the spine.

--
Chris

Trevor Appleton wrote:

> I have a 20 year history of lower back pain and have
> recently hade a severe atack from which I am now
> recovering.

> Does anyone have any similar experience, and can they say
> whether cycling helps or is definitely a no no?

I'm 31, and have had lower back pain since my late teens.
Earlier this year I had my first really bad attack.!

So, similar experiences, and I found *light* cycling
definitely helped my initial recovery. I assume that I've
gradually strengthened those muscles around the spine,
giving more inherent lower back support. My instincts also
tell me that improving my general fitness and flexibility
(partly through cycling) decreases my chances of doing my
back in again.

A few months later, I completed the London to Brighton, and
I'm still trying to do 40+ miles a week on the bike.

> Any cycling doctors out there?

I'm definitely *not* a doctor.

> When my back is at its best, cycling occasionally seems to
> make it ache.

Yep, cycling still gives me occasional stiffness in the
lower back, which doesn't last long. I've recently switched
from a MTB to a hybrid, which *seems* to have helped
(although the longest ride I've done on it so far is 35
miles last weekend, so it's a bit early to tell).

I still haven't figured out what combination of variables
causes back pain after a ride. My best guess is seat angle
and handlebar height, as most cyclists soon learn to adjust
their seat height "correctly". Finding the right seat angle
is tricky IME. For me, having the seat tilted back feels
more comfortable when riding, but seems to cause back pain
after the ride.

Make sure your frame is the right size too.

Straining really hard to climb a hill also seems to put
extra stress on the lower back.

On most rides I also sit "upright" occasionally; taking one
or two hands off the handlebars and leaning back.

YMMV, of course.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Trevor Appleton wrote:

> Does anyone have any similar experience, and can they say
> whether cycling helps or is definitely a no no?

"Back pain" is quite a broad spectrum of possibilities, and
also the case that "cycling" gives you a similarly broad
range. A time trial bike, a Pedersen and a recumbent will
all give substantially different setups for your back and
you'd really need to consult someone who (a) knows what
they're on about and (b) has got your back to hand to
diagnose what may be best for it.

In the meantime you might try fiddling with the setup of the
bike, bringing bars or seat back or forwards and altering
saddle tilt too. If you feel that leaning forward may well
be the cause of the problem then a bike with a bolt upright
posture may suit better, like a Dutch Roadster, or more
extremely a Pedersen where you're practically standing with
a support. Recumbents will lay you back at different angles
according to the design, often with direct support for the
back which can be a lot better. But it may be worse, depends
on quite what the problem is and diagnosis via Usenet is not
a good basis for medicine IMHO.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382

"Trevor Appleton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a 20 year history of lower back pain and have
> recently hade a
severe
> atack from which I am now recovering.
>
> Does anyone have any similar experience, and can they say
> whether cycling helps or is definitely a no no?
>
> Any cycling doctors out there?
>
> When my back is at its best, cycling occasionally seems to
> make it ache.
>
> BTW I probably only cycle about 20 miles a month.

I'm not qualified to judge, but maybe have a look at -

http://www.cycleweb.co.uk/q&a/back-pain.htm

Curious

In article <[email protected]>,
"Trevor Appleton" <[email protected]> writes:
> I have a 20 year history of lower back pain and have
> recently hade a severe atack from which I am now
> recovering.

I've had trouble with my back all my adult life. That's one
of the main reasons I got out of working in Dilbert-land.

> Does anyone have any similar experience, and can they say
> whether cycling helps or is definitely a no no?

Cycling is one of two things that *really* helps. The other
is walking with a good quality rucksack that fits the back
well and supports it positively in a good shape.

> Any cycling doctors out there?

Yes, but I'm not one of them. This is just my personal
experiences.

> When my back is at its best, cycling occasionally seems to
> make it ache.
>
> BTW I probably only cycle about 20 miles a month.

That's unlikely to help with much. 20 miles a day would ...
certainly not less than half that unless you can dispense
with the root causes of the trouble.

When I was stuck in an office (enforced too-long periods in
sometimes- less-than-suitable desk+chair), commuting by bike
was the only thing that helped. Any more than a day or two
not-cycling and the back pain would start to creep back - or
at worst hit with a vengence.

--
Nick Kew

YMMV?

"Jeremy Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Trevor Appleton wrote:
>
> > I have a 20 year history of lower back pain and have
> > recently hade a
severe
> > atack from which I am now recovering.
>
> > Does anyone have any similar experience, and can they
> > say whether
cycling
> > helps or is definitely a no no?
>
> I'm 31, and have had lower back pain since my late teens.
> Earlier this year I had my first really bad attack.!
>
> So, similar experiences, and I found *light* cycling
> definitely helped my initial recovery. I assume that I've
> gradually strengthened those muscles around the spine,
> giving more inherent lower back support. My instincts also
> tell me that improving my general fitness and flexibility
> (partly through cycling) decreases my chances of doing my
> back in again.
>
> A few months later, I completed the London to Brighton,
> and I'm still trying to do 40+ miles a week on the bike.
>

> > Any cycling doctors out there?
>
> I'm definitely *not* a doctor.
>
> > When my back is at its best, cycling occasionally seems
> > to make it ache.
>
> Yep, cycling still gives me occasional stiffness in the
> lower back, which doesn't last long. I've recently
> switched from a MTB to a hybrid, which *seems* to have
> helped (although the longest ride I've done on it so far
> is 35 miles last weekend, so it's a bit early to tell).
>
> I still haven't figured out what combination of variables
> causes back pain after a ride. My best guess is seat angle
> and handlebar height, as most cyclists soon learn to
> adjust their seat height "correctly". Finding the right
> seat angle is tricky IME. For me, having the seat tilted
> back feels more comfortable when riding, but seems to
> cause back pain after the ride.
>
> Make sure your frame is the right size too.
>
> Straining really hard to climb a hill also seems to put
> extra stress on the lower back.
>
> On most rides I also sit "upright" occasionally; taking
> one or two hands off the handlebars and leaning back.
>
> YMMV, of course.
>

> --
> jc
>
> Remove the -not from email

Dilbert Land?

[email protected]...

Succorso wrote:
> 20 miles a month is not very much; hardly enough for your
> body to get tuned to it. Dare I say it - have you tried a
> recumbent? Perhaps the upright posture of a regular bike
> is an aggravation?

A recumbent may help, or it may make matters worse. A proper
recumbent will spread the rider's weight along the length of
the spine and will probably help, particularly if it has
rear suspension and a solid seat with lumbar support.

CLWB bikes, semi-bents and the like, OTOH, are the work of
Stan and may well make matters worse, as the force from
every bump is transmitted straight up the spinal column.
There is a letter on this very subject in the latest issue
of Velovision.

> I have a history of disc weakness in my lower back -
> leading to prolapses and sciatic episodes, but it doesn't
> seem to be affected by cycling in any way - good or bad.
> What I have found has helped is resistance training to
> build core muscle strength in the lower trunk - increased
> muscular strength does seem to help take more of the load
> - easing pressure on the spine.

<AOL> Me too. </AOL>

The best thing I ever did for my back (a few months after
suffering a prolapsed disk) was to take up gymnastics. I
recovered most of my flexibility and built up good, strong,
lower back and abdominal muscles.

I haven't found upright cycling to be a good thing, although
unicycling is great. It encourages good posture and it
exercises the muscles that support the lower back.

And of course I can't post in a thread about back trouble
without recommending "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin
McKenzie: <URL:http://tinyurl.com/2vm4k>mazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0959804927/qid=1089049771/sr=1-
1/ref=sr_1_10_1/026-7545744-2869208>

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
reply address)

Nick Kew wrote:
> Cycling is one of two things that *really* helps. The
> other is walking with a good quality rucksack that fits
> the back well and supports it positively in a good shape.

When I mow my lawn (which is fairly large and on a slope),
I often end up with slight backache. If I do it while
carrying my daughter in a rucksack on my back then I
*never* end up with any aches, because my back is so well
supported by the rucksack.

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
reply address)
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/> "He who
dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

> BTW I probably only cycle about 20 miles a month.

I cycle because running and hiking are worse for my back,
swimming is ok.

At the moment I have some numbness of the back of my right
foot and sole, at other times it's down the left leg.So I am
not a hod carrier, but a GP. Two weeks ago I did 100miles,
which is not that unusual for
me.

I avoid honking much( although you have to lift your weight
off the saddle as often as possible in a long ride) and have
always used nice low gears to get up hills without pushing
really hard on the pedals.Keep the feet spinning easily.I
get my position sorted so that I am leaning well forward,
putting weight on my hands so that my weight is divided
between bottom and hands.I like a nice sticky rubbery
wrapping on the bars so that I have a safe grip without
effort.Slippery handlebar tape encourages craning, that is
leaning forward without full support under your
shoulders.You can get your head down too far, though.A
really good aero position gives me backache. Putting the
saddle back a bit in relation to the pedals can give a
better position.Saddle height needs to be right, trial and
error .If you are too low or too high it affects your back.
On road is smoother than off, which might jolt your back.
Finally I would say 20miles per month might be increased so
that you are doing a fair bit every day.Your body will
toughen up and get fitter better with frequent light
exercise for half hour sessions than with occasional short
blasts.And don't try to keep up with people who overtake.We
all do that and it's silly. This is just my personal
experience, which is what you want to hear from other people
with back trouble.I agree with others that we cannot compare
diagnoses and severity. TerryJ

"Trevor Appleton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a 20 year history of lower back pain and have
> recently hade a severe atack from which I am now
> recovering.
>
> Does anyone have any similar experience, and can they say
> whether cycling helps or is definitely a no no?

I comment only as a back pain sufferer. I had occasional
moderate lower back pain for years with the some severe
episodes. Most of that time I was fairly active, joggging,
climbing, hillwalking. Since returning to cycling a few
years ago I,m virtually symptom free. I think cycling has
strenthened the muscles in my back. My sister had similiar
back problems which were cured when she went from a typical
inactive lifestyle to walking regularly for long distances.
Every case is different but it is worth trying cycling and
seeing what happens. As other posters have suggested good
bike fitting is vital. Personally I have the handlebars on
all my bikes around level with the saddle. I find any lower
and my back doesn't like it. If you prefer a higher
handlebar position there are some bikes on the market
designed that way for example Ridgeback K3 or K4. Iain

Trevor Appleton wrote:

> YMMV?

"Your mileage may vary" - as in "your experiences may be
different". Just one of those usenet abbreviations.

HTH

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Danny Colyer wrote:

[sound advice]

William. A couple of years ago I put my back out to the
extent that I spent a week in a nest on the bedroom floor,
but was able, by the following Sunday, to compete in a race
on my Baron. While driving to Kimbolton was an exercise in
tooth-gritting, it completely ceased to hurt once I was
actually on the bike.

I'm capable of riding upright again, but things start to
ache after about 20 km.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Trevor Appleton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> YMMV?

Your mileage may vary. Originally a disclaimer used by car
manufacturers. Bookmark this page then you won't have to
keep asking: <http://www.ucc.ie/cgi-bin/acronym/>

Also, try gooling for "top posting".

--
Dave...

Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive
measure if it were administered prior to the crime. —
Woody Allen

"Trevor Appleton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a 20 year history of lower back pain and have
> recently hade a severe atack from which I am now
> recovering.
>
> Does anyone have any similar experience, and can they say
> whether cycling helps or is definitely a no no?

Yes, and IME cycling if not helps then doesn't hinder. I've
had two lower spine laminectomies (last approx 18 years ago)
and I ride to work every day with very few problems. Over
the years I've had a few acute periods when I had to use the
bus but they've been short and easily recovered.

From my experience patience, fitness and regular exercise
are key- don't go mad taining for triathlon, but do ride
your bike at least a little every day. Strong stomach
muscles support the lower spine, but avoid sit ups to build
them. Ask your physio about cycling specific stretches as
cycling can give you tight hamstrings, which don't help
either. In winter make sure you keep your lower back warm.

If you can, set you milage target a bit higher too. Split it
into small rides at first though.

If you can't ride for the moment, walk a little more.
Every day.

Think slow but deliberate improvement.

Patience.