Cycling and music

artyarson

Nov 28, 2015
Do you go cycling with your headphones on? If so, what do you listen to? Maybe you have some favorite songs to listen to while riding your bike, don't you? Maybe some songs bring you back some memories of your bicycle trips, don't they?

Feel free to tell your stories!

I love this one, for example. Let the title speak for itself.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And also this one. Even though it's skateboarding in the video, it still could be applied perfectly to cycling.

In most cases I was cycling with headphone but it makes me feel less secure.However riding without headphones listening to music will feel too boring.So I intend to buy one combo or maybe bone conduction headset is better?
By the way,my favorite song when I cycling is Cheerleader~

As stated hundred of times on this forum, cycling with headphones is way too dangerous. The only time ill listen to music on the bike is when using the rollers at home. I'd be dead already if not for listening out for traffic.

Well, it depends. I don't usually put my headphones on when it comes to riding my bike. I would never do this in a heavy traffic or a way too busy city road. That's kind of dangerous, I agree. As a pedestrian, sometimes I freak the hell out when I see a careless cyclist speeding down the narrow sidewalk whose ears are covered with huge headphones. That sucks. I don't wanna be this guy.

When I go mountain biking then I'll sometimes listen to music but very rarely if I'm riding on the roads. There's too many idiot car drivers around now, and even with the cycle lanes you have to be on your gaurscat all times and its just not worth it.

If you have an accident and your listening to music, even if it wasn't your fault they'll still try and blame you for being distracted.

I love music and cycling with music but after my little "accident" in the summer I stopped using them so much.

I kinda changed alot of the things I do after that accident, including cycling altogether. :D (I just go for a few rides lately only to sweat a few beers and come back home).

I was listening to alot of hard rock, but electronic stuff, like chemical brothers etc are also quite good for cycling. ;)

I normally don't but if you are riding in open country or a bike lane and there are few cars around then I guess it could be ok. I prefer not to risk it, I have had some close calls and if I didn't here the car coming I probably wouldn't be here right now.

I usually listen to headphones while biking. It makes the ride so much more satisfying as you have a beat to cycle too and I can last much, much longer with music. I wouldn't have been able to complete many rides

I usually listen to headphones while biking. It makes the ride so much more satisfying as you have a beat to cycle too and I can last much, much longer with music. I wouldn't have been able to complete many rides

As others aswell as myself have said though, do you not worry about the safety aspect of listening to music and wearing headphones while your cycling?

I appreciate the fact that you feel that you can cycle further and maybe faster listening to music, but the safety concerns still put me off using headphones while I'm cycling, even with the volume at a low level.

It is illegal in some states to have both ears covered while driving/cycling, but I use ear buds and have the volume turned down low enough so that I can just hear the music and can still hear outside noises. Run the cord inside my jersey so it can't really be seen.

I usually just pick whatever music I like and ride with it, changing it up when it becomes too repetitive. Without the music, I'd get bored too quickly, but with the music I can ride for hours and hours.

I like to enjoy the environment and hear everything while riding a bike. However, music is a big part of my life and sometimes I listen to music while cycling. It is usually on the places where cars are not allowed and only bikes and pedestrians can use. I guess it is the pedestrian.bike zone or in some city park. We have a nice big one that I really like.

You can see it here and the music is usually classical or jazz. Several other individuals like Leonard Cohen also go into my play list for my bike days.

Keeping a headphone and a music player is seen to be good to make you concentrate well on your cycling and you didn't make you bore early and helps you in maintaining your concentration level and you ride for long which keeps your mind fresh and active for the day and you can enjoy your today and forget about tomorrow.
Keep listening and carry on riding.

Be hard to 'keep on listening and carry on riding' if you end up beneath the wheels of a bus because you didn't hear it coming behind you as you tried to change lanes.

Maybe that example is a bit extreme but I'm more concerned about being safe on the roads rather than cycling to the beat of the music!

I find it too dangerous to ride with headphones in. If I'm riding on one of the bike paths here, I suppose I could do it, but I like to be able to listen for cyclists coming up behind me to pass, or for pedestrians who may be trying to get my attention. There is a path through the forest that is never really busy at all, but I would prefer to listen to the sounds of the forest and my tires on the asphalt :)

Be hard to 'keep on listening and carry on riding' if you end up beneath the wheels of a bus because you didn't hear it coming behind you as you tried to change lanes.

Maybe that example is a bit extreme but I'm more concerned about being safe on the roads rather than cycling to the beat of the music!
I hope it wouldn't get to that point but it could happen, that's why they should build more bike lanes. That would solve a lot of problems and you would run less of a risk if you liked to listen to music while riding.

If music is needed to enjoy the roads, you simply don't enjoy the sport enough. I think this question is only a step or two up from "whats you favorite beer to drink while driving?"

Reactions: zipp2001
I don't need music to push me or help me stay focused. The only thing I listen to is my legs turning over the cranks. When the legs start to complain I'm pushing they to hard I just tell they to shut up and push harder and enjoy the pain. It's such a great sport why ruin it with music.