Cycling and music

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by artyarson, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Belovedad

Belovedad New Member

I don't like to bring my earphones when cycling because I find it hard to listen at them below max volume but at the same time I want to be cautious and aware of my surroundings. If I was to bring them though, I'd definitely have Eminem blasting in my ears.

2. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am not a fan of listening to music when I cycle because I want to have all my senses awake. It's an intense experience and I don't want any distractions.

3. JetWing34

JetWing34 New Member

There is no need to listen to music when I ride my bike. The only thing about this is it is dangerous to do so.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

It's obviously going to depend a lot on where we're riding aswell. If your riding on trails and tracks away from the roads, then it's a lot safer to have headphones in, but for me I'd still much rather listen to the sounds around me more than anything else, but that's just me I guess.

5. DancingLady

DancingLady Member

I can't stand the thought of having headphones on while riding. I ride in town, so I feel like it would be way too dangerous for me to do anything that could hinder my ability to accurately perceive the other vehicles on the road. Headphones could result in not hearing an approaching car, and while I would never change lanes without looking and getting a clear view of what's coming, I still think it's important to have all sense functioning to the best of their ability at all times.

6. solostarr

solostarr New Member

Yes! I usually carry a headphone with me when I go out for cycling because it keeps my mind focus on cycling and also keep my mind fresh with music when I return home and keeps me active for the entire day.I t also helps me not to distract my mind from my work.And keeps me mentally healthy and tension free.

7. oportosanto

oportosanto Well-Known Member

I agree with this because there are quite a few distracting factors in listening to music. Unless we have a sound incorporated system in our helmet. :)

8. Keyan

Keyan Member

I love this version of the song. I think it is not as distracting as the other songs and is just right for a relaxing ride. I would definitely be listening to this. thanks for sharing

artyarson likes this.
  9. bykster

bykster Member

I find it dangerous, honestly. I just don't feel safe. I do, however listen to music on low volume if I'm going on morning rides on marked paths when there's rarely anyone, but I don't even like that too much. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to music, I never go to gym without my headphones, it's just that I don't feel safe on the road where I can get hurt or where me being distracted can hurt someone else.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Yeah, the problem isn't so much us but all those cars. I sometimes think they come close on purpose, just to see if I fall off.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

That's the main point that I was trying to get across. Even if you yourself are a safe rider and you think you can listen to music while riding in a town, it's the other road users you still have to be careful of.

When I'm riding I'm confident in what I'm doing and my own ability, 85% of the time I'm concentrating on what the others are doing, and that's why I think music and headphones would be distracting.

12. bykster

bykster Member

Yeah, I definitely felt that a couple of times. It's like they willfully ignore the existence of cyclists. So frustrating. Not to mention dangerous.

pwarbi likes this.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

I think ask any road cyclist and they'll all think the same, it's not us the cyclists but the other road users that are the problem..
    I've also noticed it seems to be the professional drivers, those that drive for a living that are the worst if the lot aswell such as bus and taxi drivers.

14. rajeshcycles

rajeshcycles New Member

It depends on my mood. Sometimes, I do listen to songs while riding and sometimes I don't. I think that we should not listen to songs and we should focus entirely on driving. So, I listen to songs with my headphone only when I drive on a clear local road with less traffic.

15. artyarson

artyarson Member

My pleasure, buddy! It's one of my favs when it comes to riding a bike or hiking. And yeah, you're right. There's no for listening to a heavy stuff while being on the road. In my case, it doesn't set a right vibe.

16. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Member

I personally enjoy riding my bike while listening to my favorite music, it kinda makes you feel like riding up on the sky or something like that, it is simply magical, the road, your bike and yourself greatest mix ever it becomes better when adding some good music.

17. Okaviator

Okaviator New Member

If I'm mountain biking I'll listen to music. However, when I'm road biking I need to pay careful attention to traffic otherwise it can be quite dangerous.

18. sharkantropo

sharkantropo Member

I listen to my music with headphones on with high volume, as long as I'm riding across a safe track. Otherwise, I refrain to use it since I lose so much awareness in the same very moment I put it. I remember people yelling at me because the are all douchebags with a rocket between their buttocks always rushing forward and me riding slowly and cheerful.

19. cyclenthusias44

Yes, I listen to music when I ride my bike. Music refreshes my mood and makes me feel good. I always enjoy listening to music while riding my bike. I use earphones instead of headphones because they sound good and they are smaller than headphones.

20. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Mountain biking is completely different to road biking unless you are trailing were you need to really concentrate it can be relaxing. I also never listen to music when I'm cycling on the road, there to many crazy drivers out there.