Cycling and music

I listen to music when I do everything in different regards. Youtube has made it so I can constantly cycle out new songs and artists pretty much infinitely without ever running out of anything new, but I also have a long list of favorites. I imagine that when I'm riding again, I'll want music for at least some of it...ears are useful for other things, though.

I prefer to ride without headphones and listening to music, as I want to be able to hear any oncoming traffic, especially from behind when visibility isn't that great. If I'm cycling on a day or in an area where there is light traffic, then I may put on the headphones to listen to a couple of tunes. I usually listen to some chilled electronic music which goes well with cycling.

I listen to the music only if I am riding country roads since in the city it would be too dangerous. You have to hear what is happening around you and it many countries it is illegal to listen to music at the same time when riding a vehicle.

I used to in the past, however I soon came to realise two things:

(1) The sounds where I ride (I live in the countryside) are absolutely beautiful, much better than anything I could play through my headphones, so I should be making the most of them.

(2) If something else is happening with traffic on the road, you REALLY need to hear it, otherwise you're just not going to be safe.

So now, I will never listen to any music at all. When I go out, it's just me and my thoughts, plus the wonderful sounds of the nature around me!

I don't have a problem at all with listening to music while cycling, even with canal phones or in the city. I depend on my eyes, not my ears.

Yeah, riding a bike and listening to music is always a great feeling but it's also dangerous to do it because you don't have your attention to the traffic and the cars around you. So I always do it with a lot of attention.

I'll listen to music if I a ride on a trail where I know there isn't that many people or vehicles. Otherwise. when I'm riding on the road, I want to be able to hear everything going on around me. I feel much more without headphones.

Here's my feelings on headphones: if your desire is to become road pizza, suit yourself.However, if I have to scream at the top of my lungs to get you and your buddy abreast of you to move over so I can pass safely, don't be surprised if my rear wheel clips your front wheel when I cut back in.

I hardly listen to music anywhere, so nope! Don't see how people are so obsessed with it. It's like some can't live without it. I just enjoy the breezes and animals. When I ride through a city I'll listen to the horrible noises. haha. :)

Road cycling with headphones is a dangerous and unintelligent thing to do. It is almost as stupid as riding without a helmet or riding at night without a light. In fact, unlike riding without a helmet, you are a danger to others wearing when wearing headphones, not just yourself. If you insist upon cycling with headphones please use a stationary.

I have to agree with the comments above. I do not think that listening to music through headphones is a very clever or responsible thing to do whilst riding a bike. It's important that you stay consciously aware of the things going on around you when riding a bike, especially if riding on the roads. If you're blasting music into your ears through headphones then how are you going to know if a car is behind you beeping the horn to try to get your attention (if an accident is about to happen, for example). Your focus of attention needs to be on staying safe, not on listening to music.

Depends on where you're riding. People can say it's irresponsible but they're assuming that you have your music on full-blast 100% volume. Most of the time whenever I'm listening to music I can hear almost everything else around me. However, it has been shown that certain types of music can affect the mood so much that you make dumb decisions, in that cases I'd re-evaluate your music choices.

Depends on where you're riding. People can say it's irresponsible but they're assuming that you have your music on full-blast 100% volume. Most of the time whenever I'm listening to music I can hear almost everything else around me. However, it has been shown that certain types of music can affect the mood so much that you make dumb decisions, in that cases I'd re-evaluate your music choices.
Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anybody making that assumption. I wasn't. You may think you hear and notice almost everything around you, but that probably is not true. It isn't about the type of music, you can't possibly support that statement. You need to reevaluate your choice to wear headphones if you are road cycling.

I prefer to concentrate on what is going on around me, especially what might be approaching from behind.

I used to in the past, however I soon came to realise two things:

(1) The sounds where I ride (I live in the countryside) are absolutely beautiful, much better than anything I could play through my headphones, so I should be making the most of them.

(2) If something else is happening with traffic on the road, you REALLY need to hear it, otherwise you're just not going to be safe.

So now, I will never listen to any music at all. When I go out, it's just me and my thoughts, plus the wonderful sounds of the nature around me!
That's certainly is the best reason not to listen to music while riding.

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anybody making that assumption. I wasn't. You may think you hear and notice almost everything around you, but that probably is not true. It isn't about the type of music, you can't possibly support that statement. You need to reevaluate your choice to wear headphones if you are road cycling.
I completely agree with this. There is no way that you hear and notice almost (and I note the use of the word "almost") everything around you if you have earphones in, it's scientifically impossible even if you're not even listening to any music. Your ears are still blocked and bear in mind that your ears are also directly related to your balance so blocking your ears in any way, shape or form is not a very clever thing to do. Listening to music requires focus of auditory attention, a shift in awareness. If you were fully aware of the things going on around you then the music would become pointless anyway, you would hardly notice it and would be concentrating too much on other things.

I hardly listen to music anywhere, so nope! Don't see how people are so obsessed with it. It's like some can't live without it. I just enjoy the breezes and animals. When I ride through a city I'll listen to the horrible noises. haha. :)

I will probably make a challenge for myself by not listening to anything musical during the entire week.

I would never recommend you to listen to music while cycling because it can be dangerous. I would never prefer cycling without music unless you are driving on a clear road. You should know that listening to music with headphones while driving has already caused the death of hundreds of people. We should at least learn from them.

As stated hundred of times on this forum, cycling with headphones is way too dangerous. The only time ill listen to music on the bike is when using the rollers at home. I'd be dead already if not for listening out for traffic.
Yes, it's dangerous because the music will overlay the sound of the horn that's comes from behind you. You will not be able to listen the sound of the horn and it will ultimately lead to accident and that the reason why you should never use the headphones. By the way, you can openly listen to the music with the handheld speaker.