Cycling and Speed Skating

SolarEnergy said:
Clara Hudges has won gold in woman's 5000
In one singular pretty race, smartly paced, with an explosive final lap.

Her only dream now, being able to participate in an Olympic 10k event :cool:
yes... i saw that race... man that was beautiful... I don't know how or where one goes to find the strength to turn on the jets like that when it's hurting you the most. and it's not like she beat just anyone... Claudia Pechstien, 9 Olympic Medals... Cindy Klassen, 6 medals... I mean... wow... these ladies are the titans of their game. Sure... the 5000 is not Klassen's strongest event... but damn!!! she was laying down split times 5 seconds faster than Kristina Groves who was in 1st place at the time.

what a great role model... what an inspiration...

That's it... i'm joining the short track club near my house next fall... I don't care if I suck at first... I'm gonna learn. At 32, i'm not having any delusions of trying to make it to that level, but if I can be rink fodder for some punk who might just be the next Marc Gagnon... then I'll be really happy about that.

Tubbs said:
the 5000 is not Klassen's strongest event... but damn!!! she was laying down split times 5 seconds faster than Kristina Groves who was in 1st place at the time.

what a great role model... what an inspiration...
Yep. I agree.

Tubbs said:
That's it... i'm joining the short track club near my house next fall... I don't care if I suck at first... I'm gonna learn. At 32, i'm not having any delusions of trying to make it to that level, but if I can be rink fodder for some punk who might just be the next Marc Gagnon... then I'll be really happy about that.
Where do you live? In the province of Quebec or What?

Tubbs said:
Does anyone here participate in speed skating in the winter to compliment their cycling for the summer??? I'm curious as to what your experience is. What are the benefits? I'm seriously thinking of taking it up. It just seems waaay more fun than riding a trainer in the basement.
No, cross country skiing is almost identical to cycling. That's a better idea. There are several well known pro XC racers that are skiiers turned cyclists. A good friend of mine does XC skiing on a provincial team and his training is very similar, almost identical to what a cyclist would do, minus the pedalling. The same muscles are worked. It would be a great way to have fun and stay in shape, and prevent injury, because of the more involved weight training.