Cycling app research

I've completed it, but from the small amount of training-based information you've asked for in the survey I can only assume you're trying to gauge whether such an app would be viable?

How do you imagine a software app will get new or returning cyclists off their backsides and into the saddle on a regular basis?

Do you cycle yourself or is this just another one of those - pick a popular activity and dream up an app to make some money - ideas?

that's correct! I'm just beginning so I haven't done anything definitive or deep yet. The best motivation is the person themselves, but my thought is that if the app clearly defines an easy to follow training plan that outlines progress, it will be more exciting to keep going. Additionally, push notifications could help nudge the rider as well.

I started riding last year and I loved every minute of it, although admittedly I'm struggling with motivation to ride indoors in the winter! Anyways, I was trying to think about what would have helped me see my progress and stay motivated to keep improving. Riding was never the problem for me, instead it was hard to know how to get better. Research was hard because of too many sources, opinions, etc. I just signed up for my first century, so for now that's my goal!

I'm seeing if others have similar experiences that I did and hopefully I can develop something that stands out from there!

Lack of motivaton in the winter is more common than you'd imagine, and many long-term and experienced cyclists take to indoor training to keep fit over the colder months; probably more so now with the advent of affordable virtual trainers - as well as an increase in quality and the Internet linking to form group rides / races.

It may help to research the psychology of motivation, especially in relation to physical activity and sports - you may find something inspiring that would help direct such an app.

Come back and let us know about your progress (and whether you get your century in) - it'll be interesting to see what you come up with. :)