Cycling around southern California

kbarnett

May 29, 2010
Hi,

I am coming from Australia in September and will have a week to kill in the Costa Mesa area of southern California.I thought I'd hire a bike for a week and cycle somewhere. Where is the best place to hire a touring bike (and some panniers etc) and can anyone suggest a route of about about 300 miles or so. I regularly cycle 60 miles or so each week here in Australia.:)

Dude, just take Newport Blvd west(southwest) for a few of miles straight to Newport Beach and either head south on the beach bike paths toward San Diego and the Mexican border or head North up up towards Long Beach and Santa Monica. There's plenty of "scenery" to see in either direction. And you cant really get lost just keep the ocean to your right if going south or to your left if going north. It is beach bike path or marked bike lane 90% of the way.
There are bike rental places right in Newport Beach but you may want to look at the Yellow Pages Directory for a proper bike shop if you want panniers. You won't even need a true touring bike, a good quality hardtail MTB will work just as well in this case and be more plentiful for rent.
I would do go south if it were me, San Diego is great in September (well any time of the year for that matter) and you will love the Mission Bay and Coronado areas. You can get at least a 150 mile round trip in either direction.(It's almost exactly 100 miles from Newport to Imperial Beach near the Mexican Border)
Just make sure to bring your Sunscreen, your Wayfarers , and some board shorts.:cool:

Thanks for your help.
I'm having trouble getting ANY of the bikes shops in the area to reply to my emails. I hope this is not an indication of their professionalism!

kbarnett said:
Thanks for your help.
I'm having trouble getting ANY of the bikes shops in the area to reply to my emails. I hope this is not an indication of their professionalism!

Try calling... much quicker response than email. :)

Kbarnett, one of the reasons I originally replied to your post was that I am planning that same trip in mid Sept around the 17th to the 20th.

I am going to drive to Newport Beach, park my car in a secure location and pedal towards San Diego. I am doing it on my hardtail MTB with panniers and sleeping bag.

I am camping the first night at Doheny State Beach at their Hike & Bike campsite which is only $6 per night. And then camping at Campland on The Bay at Mission Bay in San Diego the second night. Camping is $35 there but it has full amenities such as showers, laundry, pool, jacuzzi, grill,store etc.

I am looking forward to it. It should be a great tour.

I was thinking why not just order some cheaper panniers online and bring them with you when you fly to the US, instead of trying to rent some. Some moderate size ones flattened down shouldn't take up too much size in your suitcase. I don't know about AUS but you can get a set here in the US online for around $35+/- if you shop a bit.

Just a thought.