Cycling around Ullswater in the Lake district

Paul Young

Guest
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to cycle from
Patterdale along the East shore of Ullswater (in the lake District)
travelling up towards Pooley bridge? I know there is a road on the west
shore but I know it gets very busy at times. Our group do not mind a bit of
off road riding but want to stick to legal tracks if at all possible.
Many thanks

Paul Y

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:25:49 +0000, Paul Young wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to cycle from
> Patterdale along the East shore of Ullswater (in the lake District)
> travelling up towards Pooley bridge? I know there is a road on the west
> shore but I know it gets very busy at times. Our group do not mind a bit of
> off road riding but want to stick to legal tracks if at all possible.
> Many thanks
>
> Paul Y

There was an old track up the other side - up through Side Farm and the
like. Over 10 years since I've been there, though, and I'm only a roadie :)

Steve

in message <[email protected]>, Steve
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:25:49 +0000, Paul Young wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to cycle from
>> Patterdale along the East shore of Ullswater (in the lake District)
>> travelling up towards Pooley bridge? I know there is a road on the
>> west
>> shore but I know it gets very busy at times. Our group do not mind a
>> bit of off road riding but want to stick to legal tracks if at all
>> possible.

> There was an old track up the other side - up through Side Farm and
> the like. Over 10 years since I've been there, though, and I'm only a
> roadie :)

It's more than ten years since I was last there; when I was, the guys
from Orange were testing their prototypes on the tracks on the east
side. Yes, it's cyclable; there is High Street, after all. But it's not
road bike territory.

[ Disclaimer:  This is a work displacement exercise.  Please feel free ]
[ to reply either on or off group.  Expect lengthy replies until the ]
[ deadline has passed.  Thank-you for your cooperation. ]