Cycling article in Telegraph.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:55:54 +0100, davek <[email protected]>
wrote:

>JohnB wrote:
>> Good she was done. But the incredible thing is that she just *HAD* to
>> drive 25metres.
>> It really beggars belief.

>I wonder what she'd do if she lived in my street - it's rare that I can
>park my car less than 25 metres from my home.

Park as close as she could then get a taxi.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

Dave Kahn wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:49:09 +0100, "Duncan Gray"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The test is "was the person likely to drive while he remained impaired".
>>If you're camped up for the night then clearly the answer would be no and
>>tou'd be alright.

> Is that the test? I seem to remember a case of a man prosectued after
> being found asleep on the back seat. He knew he was over the limit so
> he decided to sleep in the car until the morning. However, he was
> judged to be technically in charge of the vehicle as he had the
> ignition key on him. As I recall it if he had hidden the key by the
> road somewhere he would have been OK. However, he might have had a job
> finding it again on sobering up.

This happened to a guy I used to work with. Heck, it might be him you're
talking about. Happened to him in Cheltenham.

Boo.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:30:39 +0100, Trevor Barton
<[email protected]> wrote:

>JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "She then tried to run away but was restrained by police who pinned her
>> to the bonnet of their car and arrested her. The court was told how days
>> before her arrest Ambler had been thrown from a horse which had then
>> stepped on her head leaving her in need of stitches."

>Well, that's at least more plausible than the usual one we get in
>the papers round here: The drunk more often than not had "never
>done it before in 35 years of driving". A lot of criminals who
>go through the courts in Harrogate seem to be first-timers. Either
>they're exteeeeemly unlucky to have been caught on the first and only
>occasion, or we have a particularly inept bunch of first time criminals
>in this part of the country. Either that or they're plain liars.
>
>> "When the magistrates told Ambler she would be banned from driving for
>> twelve months, fined a total of £150 and ordered to pay £34 court costs
>> she broke down in tears."

><rant>
>
>Most motoring offences get on my goat far out of proportion to the
>severity in the eyes of the law not only because the punishment
>often does not fit the crime but particularly because most of them
>are so easy to avoid. Speeding, for example, is one of the easiest,
>but it seems to be one that few people can be bothered avoiding.
>Sure, I'm sure there are places where the speed limit might be
>ambiguous, perhaps because of obstructed signage or whatever, but
>in the vast majority of cases speed limits are clear and unambigous,
>but routinely ignored. Why? How is it so hard? How flipping
>difficult is it to avoid driving drunk? Again, I can imagine that
>there are "legitimate" causes (some medications, some temporary
>conditions interfering with your metabolising of alcohol, etc)
>but most of the time it's just stupid people who go to the pub, drink
>beer and get into their cars. Why just a 12 month ban?
>
></rant>

Agreed, hence my resignation from the Magistrates bench ........

The AVERAGE fine for no insurance is around £175 .......... me being
an old fart and hundreds of years old, my annual insurance is about
the same ... less if you are on income support.

A young person in his/her car can pay more than the car is worth ...
£700 / 800 / 900 for insurance ............ so simple maths say
........ I will take a chance

So the honest paying motorist gets hit by a NI ******** ..............
who is worst off???

Certainly makes one think about the 'I will take a chance' route

Now however you face the possibility of having you car crushed ......
Yeah right .......... how many to date ????? And if the car is worth
£150 ............ back to my maths .......... Simple innit !!

JohnB wrote:

J> 95% of the riders who have taken our training over this summer (to the
J> National Standards) have said they will cycle more as a result.

J> John B
J> http://www.hampshirecycletraining.org. uk

Does anyone know if there's a cycle training scheme for adults in Dorset? I
have a friend that lives in Ferndown who would benefit, and I believe would
be receptive to the idea of training. He inherited a bike when he bought a
new house and tried to commute to work on it. Sadly he made the classic
beginner's mistake of riding in the gutter and had nowhere to go when a car
cut him up. He's lost confidence so is now back in the car, but I think
he'd like to get back on the bike.

Steph Peters
delete invalid from <[email protected]> Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:05:54 +

Steph Peters wrote:

> JohnB wrote:
>
> J> 95% of the riders who have taken our training over this summer (to the
> J> National Standards) have said they will cycle more as a result.
>
> Does anyone know if there's a cycle training scheme for adults in Dorset? I
> have a friend that lives in Ferndown who would benefit, and I believe would
> be receptive to the idea of training.

> Steph Peters
> delete invalid from <[email protected]> Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:05:54 +

Get in touch with me through my website and I'm sure I can help.
I know someone in the area running such a scheme.

John B
http://www.hampshirecycletraining.org. uk

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:05:03 GMT someone who may be Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I _think_ that you are wrong. For a 'drunk in charge' offence I believe
>you don't even have to switch the engine on.

Note that the "crime" of being drunk in charge of a cycle applies
whether one is riding it or pushing it along. As ever there are
stupid laws and they deserve no respect.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

In article <[email protected]>,
David Hansen <[email protected]> writes:

> Note that the "crime" of being drunk in charge of a cycle applies
> whether one is riding it or pushing it along. As ever there are
> stupid laws and they deserve no respect.

Hmmm, you haven't read Wilt. Being drunk in charge of a bike you're
not riding can be serious enough, even if it's just a minor cameo
appearance in the book :)

--
Nick Kew

Jack Ouzzi wrote:

> I sat for over 10 years as a magistrate, and could write a 'book of
> excuses' of probably volumes ..............

Locally we had a guy claim that he thought "mandatory" meant "optional".

This was (of course) in regard to a "mandatory speed limit".

This poor, uneducated person got off.

It's a miracle someone this uneducated could get a job
paying enough to pay for a porsche in the first place :-(

I bet he could afford damn good legal representation too :-(

BugBear

JohnB <[email protected]> of The trikeshed is full wrote:

>Steph Peters wrote:
>>
>> JohnB wrote:
>>
>> J> 95% of the riders who have taken our training over this summer (to the
>> J> National Standards) have said they will cycle more as a result.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there's a cycle training scheme for adults in Dorset? I
>> have a friend that lives in Ferndown who would benefit, and I believe would
>> be receptive to the idea of training.

>> Steph Peters
>> delete invalid from <[email protected]> Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:05:54 +

>Get in touch with me through my website and I'm sure I can help.
>I know someone in the area running such a scheme.

Thanks John, will do.