cycling back up the hill.....

chris French

Guest
Have been managing to take daughters to/from nursery on with the
tandem/trailer combo a bit more lately. It's not far, a couple of miles.
On picking them up today one of the staff commented 'you riding back up
the hill with it as well?'

Which rather made me laugh.

Ojk now I know non-cyclists misjudge such things, but this is
Cambridgeshire FFS It doesn't do hills - not in any proper sense of the
word. Ok yes it is technically uphill for much of the way home, some
bits even look like a hill. But I don't even get to bottom gear on the
middle ring.

I guess she's lived here so long (born and bred I think) she has twisted
notion of what a hill is. whereas having moved from Yorkshire.....
--
Chris French

"chris French" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ojk now I know non-cyclists misjudge such things, but this is
> Cambridgeshire FFS It doesn't do hills - not in any proper sense of the
> word. Ok yes it is technically uphill for much of the way home, some
> bits even look like a hill. But I don't even get to bottom gear on the
> middle ring.

The skewed perception of the physical requirements and perceived dangers of
cycling must be what makes people sit alone in cars twice a day moving at
little more than walking pace to get to work and back. That to me would be
mentally taxing beyond belief.
I'm fortunate to not have to drive around town at peak times normally but
for various reasons have done so twice recently and it was an eye-opener.
I'd rather cycle uphill in the rain daily, at least I'd keep what remains of
my sanity, although I imagine the cagers <1> would think me insane anyway
;-)

I recently also had the pleasure of cycling through town at lunch time and
mid afternoon after taking and collecting my car from a garage, completely
hassle and danger free but nearly all the other cyclists (and there were
quite a few) were riding on the pavements for some unfathomable reason.

<1> I drive quite a bit but to me the idea of it is to increase mobility and
practicality, once stuck in a car in endless, near stationary traffic I just
feel trapped in a cage so feel the title appropriate.
--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/P