Cycling / bike injuries

Kakashi

Feb 3, 2018
What are the injuries you have suffered in cycling so far? What did you do to treat yourself?

Abrasions a few time and a fractured Pelvis once. It had to heal over time but I worked out the best I could with weights. It took 3 months to get back on the road.

I guess many have already read about the mouse on my right calf. It appears once in a while particularly when I do heavy physical work and riding is one such activity. The bulge is actually swollen muscle according to the doctor. When the bulge appears, I calm it with hot compress or a patch. Today I will try to buy an athletic garter for my calf as per the advice of our physician.

I remember falling from a bike when I was younger. Thankfully, I only got minor scrapes. But it would've been better to practice on soft ground instead of concrete roads. Hahaha!

Abrasions a few time and a fractured Pelvis once. It had to heal over time but I worked out the best I could with weights. It took 3 months to get back on the road.

That sounds bad. I'm glad it healed as time passed by. Road cycling is known for getting cyclists into permanent damage. I hope more people are careful while riding.

I guess many have already read about the mouse on my right calf. It appears once in a while particularly when I do heavy physical work and riding is one such activity. The bulge is actually swollen muscle according to the doctor. When the bulge appears, I calm it with hot compress or a patch. Today I will try to buy an athletic garter for my calf as per the advice of our physician.

I'm sorry to hear that. It seems that many have health conditions. It must be difficult to deal with it on a daily basis. Especially, for regular cyclists.

Reactions: Corzhens
I have never been had serious injury coming from bike. Just more on minor scratches but that was when I'm started to learn or how to use bike.

I've busted my mouth, nose and my whole face, broken my arm, dislocated my arm, fractured my shin and knee, punctured my tummy area, concussions, broken fingers and hand among others. Landed in the hospital 4x in just the last two years because of cycling injuries.

I once cut my eyebrow so I rode into a mechanic shop not to far from where I cut it and they got me some stuff to clean it and some gauze, but the cut was too deep for band-aids so I rode 4 miles to the nearest hospital holding the cut close using the gauze, the doc use glue to seal it shut and then put some butterfly's on it to help keep it closed. I didn't have a first kit with me on that ride so I had to go to the hospital. I rode my bike home against docs orders but I rode slowly so as not to get the blood to pump to much. Needless to say my wife was a bit surprised to see me with that.

I remember how it was in childhood, but after that I had a long break in riding. Recently I've bought my first grown bike, I was afraid I couldn't remember how to ride it, but, fortunately, everything was well.

There’s a number of possible causes so it’s worth experimenting in training.

However, if you are indeed gripping with your toes, then this points to a lack of arch support. With the arch properly supported, you’re able to use your hole shoe as a platform. This should be comfier and more efficient.

To be fair, if you don’t experience symptoms until 12hours in then that’s not bad. I’d expect a lot of things to be hurting by then.