Cycling Book – Help?

statcus

Feb 9, 2012
Hi all,

I'm a writer and have been asked to look into writing a book about cycling for a publisher I work for. I need to come up with some new interesting 'different' angles on cycling / a fresh approach and thought this might be a good place to ask about it. Are there any books about cycling that you would like to get hold of but have never seen / are not available? Any help would be very gratefully received!

Thanks so much. Kate

I think there is a lot of confusion and misinformation in the world about the various materials used to make a frame out of. I think if you did a huge amount of research and spent time discussing each type with pro's and cons maybe that would be informative. There is this stuff on the internet but almost all of it comes from a particular predetermined prejudice for or against a material depending on what that person likes or is selling. But this type of research you lead you into a world of learning the science behind the materials used which could get daunting if you don't have background in this stuff. But if you dig deep enough you'll learn there is more about various frame materials then what meets the marketing eye trying to project itself onto the unknowing consumer.

Even if you don't have the background in that stuff it shouldn't stop you, it didn't stop a 13 year old from delving into biophysics and learning it on her own so that by the time she was 17 she may have stumbled across the cure for most cancers! So far her work as succeeded on mice. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57358994/calif-hs-student-devises-possible-cancer-cure/ So if she can do that with no experience then anyone can learn stuff that normally would take a skilled learned person to do given enough time and dedication.

You might consider a book that at least in part addresses the different aspects of integrating cycling into our--American--daily lives. You could look at culture and history and their relationship to how a given society views cycling. Cyclists are generally aware that in some places in the world cycling has been for a very long time an integrated, popular part of societ (like Belgium, Holland, and etc.). It'd be interesting to contrast cycling in those countries. the type of cycling in those countries, and the attitude toward cycling in those countries to what we have here.

If you ever do write an publish that book, let us know the title so we can get it and read it.

I will do! Although I won't be the writer, I will probably edit it.. Will need someone with a lot more expertise than me in the field. Thanks again for your help. Kate

Years ago.... I read a book called "The joys of beekeeping" (apparently still in print http://www.bees-and-beekeeping.com/the-joys-of-beekeeping.html). It was about bee keepers, and the pleasures and experiences they shared. There was no big political or social message. The technical jargon was gently explained as part of the text of the stories. The educational value of the book was easily exceeded by it's being such a great read. Why not a “The joys of cycling”.

Reactions: Chavez and statcus