Cycling Books :Do you read them ?

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
With Christmas on the horizon and presents to be got, I wonder do any of you
actually read about the sport ?
The "greatest british rider" thread mentioned an excellent book by William Fotheringham entitled "Put me back on my bike" about the 1960's rider Tom Simpson.
This book is well worth reading if you're a cycling fan.

I can recommend some other ones "Indurain - A life on Wheels" is a superb account of BigMigs career.

"Kelly" by David Walsh is also worth reading

"Greg LeMond" by samuel Abt is a good reas as well.

if you do read about the sport - can you recommend a good read ?

limerickman said:
With Christmas on the horizon and presents to be got, I wonder do any of you
actually read about the sport ?
The "greatest british rider" thread mentioned an excellent book by William Fotheringham entitled "Put me back on my bike" about the 1960's rider Tom Simpson.
This book is well worth reading if you're a cycling fan.

I can recommend some other ones "Indurain - A life on Wheels" is a superb account of BigMigs career.

"Kelly" by David Walsh is also worth reading

"Greg LeMond" by samuel Abt is a good reas as well.

if you do read about the sport - can you recommend a good read ?

The best historical book: "Sweat of the Gods", Benjo Maso mostly Tour de France history and epic battles, recently translated from the Dutch.

A fun read "French Revolutions", Tim Moore - about a middle aged out of shape Brit who decides to ride the (year 2000?) TdF route a few months before the race as a way of accomplishing something in his life before he gets too old. Author has a great sense of humor and fun writing style. The chapter on Ventoux and Tom Simpson was especially good.

I read Delgado's book "A Golpe de Pedal" in Spanish (autographed version!) but I think it's out of print now.

Yeah I heard that sweat of the gods is a very good one. And why is it called sweat of the gods...from benjo maso himself on RBR:

After the legendary stage Brive-Agen (1951), Pierre About, journalist of
l'Equipe, conceded that a few drops of sweat had been visibible on the
forehead of the divine Hugo Koblet, but emphasized that they did not smell
unpleasant, because "the sweat of the gods contains no urea". And who am I to contradict Pierre About?

At the moment I'm reading the newest book of mart smeets (dutch commentator) about the TDF 0f 1980. Interesting read......but it's dutch hmmmmmz!

DiabloScott said:
The best historical book: "Sweat of the Gods", Benjo Maso mostly Tour de France history and epic battles, recently translated from the Dutch.

A fun read "French Revolutions", Tim Moore - about a middle aged out of shape Brit who decides to ride the (year 2000?) TdF route a few months before the race as a way of accomplishing something in his life before he gets too old. Author has a great sense of humor and fun writing style. The chapter on Ventoux and Tom Simpson was especially good.

I read Delgado's book "A Golpe de Pedal" in Spanish (autographed version!) but I think it's out of print now.

Bjørn P.Dal said:
did anyone read breaking the chain by ***** voet?

I read ***** Voets book and it's certainly an eye-opener.
Unfortunately for Voet, he would probably have never written that book but for that fateful day in June 1998 when he was caught by customs.

But his book is an insight in to the doping culture.

DiabloScott said:

Tim Moore's book is excellent - I agree.

I have never read the Maso book but I might check Amazon to see if there is an english edition.

That signed copy of Delgado's book is a nice keepsake, Diablo.

limerickman said:
Tim Moore's book is excellent - I agree.

I have never read the Maso book but I might check Amazon to see if there is an english edition.

"Sweat of the Gods" is the English translation. The Dutch version is called "Wij Weer Alles Godden" or something like that (We Were All Gods)

DiabloScott said:
"Sweat of the Gods" is the English translation. The Dutch version is called "Wij Weer Alles Godden" or something like that (We Were All Gods)

Thanks for that, Diablo.

The Indurain book ISBN number is 1-874739-10-2.
It's a great read.

I can also recommend Matt Seaton's "The Escape Artist" : it's about amateur cycling in Britain but it also details Seaton's life as an aspiring journalist and his wife's (ultimately fruitless, unfortunately) battle with cancer.
It also details his racing career in Greater London.
Seaton's in his mid to late 30's and writes for the Guardian.

Anybody read "Team on the Run" about the Linda McCartney team? I remember some pretty good reviews but never found a copy while I was browsing and never ordered on-line.

Supposed to have good stuff about the team manager running a sort of Ponzi scheme with the sponsors.

limerickman said:
I read ***** Voets book and it's certainly an eye-opener.
Unfortunately for Voet, he would probably have never written that book but for that fateful day in June 1998 when he was caught by customs.

But his book is an insight in to the doping culture.

His wife has written a book too...

I enjoyed 'Kings of the Mountains' about the Colombian cycling scene - like the Simpson book it really positioned the history of cycling in that country with its political and social history.

I've just started 'Push Yourself Just a Little Bit More' by Johnny Green, the Clash's ex tour manager - his style is readable and it promises to give a different perspective.

Haven't read '1 More Kilometre & We're in the Showers' it looks great and had some excellent reviews.

Read the Voet book because, like Kimmage's 'Rough Ride', it's an antidote to the 'golden super hero' romanticised image you can take away from some of the others.

I would imagine 'Roule Britannia' to be pretty good as well, being another Fotheringham book

micron said:
His wife has written a book too...

I enjoyed 'Kings of the Mountains' about the Colombian cycling scene - like the Simpson book it really positioned the history of cycling in that country with its political and social history.

I've just started 'Push Yourself Just a Little Bit More' by Johnny Green, the Clash's ex tour manager - his style is readable and it promises to give a different perspective.

Haven't read '1 More Kilometre & We're in the Showers' it looks great and had some excellent reviews.

Read the Voet book because, like Kimmage's 'Rough Ride', it's an antidote to the 'golden super hero' romanticised image you can take away from some of the others.

I would imagine 'Roule Britannia' to be pretty good as well, being another Fotheringham book

Roule Britannia is a great read and is a must for anyone who wants to know about the British Cycling scene.
The top guys are all mentioned Harris, Simpson, Both Millars, Boardman.
But other guys get great coverage : like Graham Jones, Sean Yates, Brian Robinson.
In fact Fotheringham goes in to detail about Les Wood (4th at Goodwood
1970 World R/R) and lots of other guys who mightn't be househoold names but were great cyclists nonetheless.

The ex-Clash managers book looks interesting, Mic !

DiabloScott said:
Anybody read "Team on the Run" about the Linda McCartney team? I remember some pretty good reviews but never found a copy while I was browsing and never ordered on-line.

Supposed to have good stuff about the team manager running a sort of Ponzi scheme with the sponsors.

I read the review of the book and it got very good press.
Not only is the cycling covered but it discusses where all the sponsorship money
was (allegedly) mislaid.
They discuss the Kevin Livingston transfer out of USPS to McCartney : and detail the behind the scenes machinations.

Benjo Maso has written 2 books on cycling. ''Zweet der goden'' (sweat of gods) and ''Wij waren allemaal goden'' (We were all gods).....that one is about the tour of 1948.....

Both translated from dutch in english and german I think.......

DiabloScott said:

MJtje said:
Benjo Maso has written 2 books on cycling. ''Zweet der goden'' (sweat of gods) and ''Wij waren allemaal goden'' (We were all gods).....that one is about the tour of 1948.....

Both translated from dutch in english and german I think.......

AH! That clears that up, thanks MJ.

Paul Howard - 'Riding High; Shadow Cycling the Tour De France'.

A very good read which, like Tim Moore, is about a man's efforts to cycle the Tour de France route. But there are key differences to Tim Moore. Firstly, there's less humour, it's much more of a serious account of his attempt to crack the route. Secondly, Howard is already a decent club cyclist, he's not a couch potato like Moore. And thiordly, Howard starts each and every single stage of the Tour ON THE SAME DAY as the peloton itself, getting up at 3.30am each morning to complete each stage before the police closed the roads. I loved the book because it's given me a great insight on how to achieve my own personal ambition of riding the entire route of the Tour, which I'm planning on doing in 2007.

sergen said:
Paul Howard - 'Riding High; Shadow Cycling the Tour De France'.

A very good read which, like Tim Moore, is about a man's efforts to cycle the Tour de France route. But there are key differences to Tim Moore. Firstly, there's less humour, it's much more of a serious account of his attempt to crack the route. Secondly, Howard is already a decent club cyclist, he's not a couch potato like Moore. And thiordly, Howard starts each and every single stage of the Tour ON THE SAME DAY as the peloton itself, getting up at 3.30am each morning to complete each stage before the police closed the roads. I loved the book because it's given me a great insight on how to achieve my own personal ambition of riding the entire route of the Tour, which I'm planning on doing in 2007.

Is that the same Paul Howard who writes for the Sunday Tribune here in Ireland ? (our PH is a cycling correspondent and he used to cycle competitively too).

limerickman said:
Is that the same Paul Howard who writes for the Sunday Tribune here in Ireland ? (our PH is a cycling correspondent and he used to cycle competitively too).

i think it probably is because he's a journalist